[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Beyond Tiki Ľ Ľ What flirts with death have you had
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
What flirts with death have you had
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-05 7:48 pm   Permalink

When I was 20 I had the bright idea to skateboard down a super steep hill in a neighborhood under construction. I had been skating for about 10 years and it shouldn't have been a big deal...the only thing was I was wearing sandals. So, I'm going down this hill, everything is smooth and under control until a pick-up truck turns the corner...the next thing I know I'm waking up in a Medivac helicopter on my way to the trauma center. I later found out that I had hit a storm drain, flew off the board, smacked the pavement head first, convulsed on the ground and was out cold for over 10 minutes. Luckily I only escaped with a severe concusion and road rash down the entire right side of my body but no broken bones. Needless to say this was the beginning of the end of my skateboarding career!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-05 19:48, johntiki wrote:
Luckily I only escaped with a severe concusion and road rash down the entire right side of my body but no broken bones.

Road rash is nasty -- it's the *real* reason bicyclists shave their legs. Hair can trap germs that cause infection, so it's better to shave before getting road rash rather than after.

In 1994 I was riding a road bike on 17 Mile Drive when I hit a bump at 20 mph and went over the bars. My head (I was wearing a helmet) and the back of my right shoulder hit the ground, I stayed clipped into one of my pedals, and briefly blacked out. 17 Mile Drive, I found out, is a great place to do this sort of thing because the area is crawling with private security -- they got me an ambulance FAST. I had a concussion, a broken finger on my left hand, road rash on my shoulder, and my right collarbone was broken in two places. My condition would have been much worse if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

ALWAYS wear a helmet while on a bike, and make sure the straps are tightened properly!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-06 11:20 am   Permalink

bike accidents are not fun! the *last* time I was on a bike I got "doored." It's only funny in the movies.

I blacked out and came to laying in the busy street of Bancroft in front of UC Berkeley. Luckily, no one ran me over. Not sure what happened but I have a nice long scar on my right bicep and my grandmother's rings had to be cut off my hands due to the swelling.

Thank god I was wearing a helmet too! Amen!

My then boyfriend had been wise/anal enough to put me on his car insurance since I was driving his car a lot, and wise enough to call AAA to see if his car insurance covered my bike accident! it did! AAA gave me a small sum of money under the "uninsured motorist" or something like that for my injuries, and then AAA pursued the hapless student who doored me, walked me to the campus ER, gave me his name & info, but then never responded to my calls.

I have tried to ride a bike since then, but I'm just too scared now. I feel much safer darting around large cars when I'm in one myself - it's nice to be surrounded by all that steel.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 2:13 pm   Permalink

Helmets really save alot of lives...it's staggering how many cycleists killed in crashes would be alive if they had them.

I do alot of bullshitting in these rambles, but this helmet rant worth taking note of.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 2:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 14:13, Gigantalope wrote:
Helmets really save alot of lives...it's staggering how many cycleists killed in crashes would be alive if they had them.

Let me emphasize here that helmets must be worn correctly (strapped down tight) for them to work. I see too many people, especially children, wearing helmets on the backs of their heads (so they won't mess up their hair?) or with loose and/or unbuckled straps.

Bicycle helmets are MANDATORY for all riders under 18 in California.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 5:01 pm   Permalink

When I was hit by that car it was 1988 and helmets were neither manditory nor worn very much anyhow. You can bet I wear one now! It's been the law in BC since 1996..they even give out $29 tickets!
-Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 6:33 pm   Permalink

It's not people who are road splatter...they moslty would be in the same condition with a helmet.

It's the people who just look intact, like they just dozed off that get to you.Maybe they hit the ground wrong, or thier head hit a car mirror...they make up about 85% of casualties.

At my old job I transported exhibits for Govt Agencies, and those were really heart wrenching, because...when you see so so so many, they seem stupidly preventable.

(I sound like your grandma)

Don't re-use your brain bucket either...once it's been hit hard, it's ability to absorb shock is diminished...but it's your head...and 50.00 is alot of money

...crikies, my skin's beginning to creep.

Makes me wish Bike Hemets looked like Fez's...we'd all be safe then.

[ This Message was edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-10-07 08:28 ]

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 8:10 pm   Permalink

As far as flirts with death go, I've fallen down a cliff face: to be snagged by a large friend about 10 feet below me with his arm around a tree. He grabbed my jacket with his free arm as I went by and swung me back up to the slim ledge he was standing on. It would have been a 200 foot(?) fall. I was very fortunate he was there and aware.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy on 2004-10-07 06:25 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-07 2:37 pm   Permalink

Almost drown twice.

Almost hung twice. (Accident while playing, both times, no death wish here!)

One emergency landing

I will elaborate on the emergency landing, because it is more in line with the board and it was the only time I came close to death as an adult. My wife and I were headed to Maui for our honeymoon. The second leg of our flight was going from Atlanta to the big island. I donít remember what type of plane it was, but it had a large screen showing a map and an image of the plane on the map. About 45 minutes into the flight, the plane shuttered. I didnít think much of it. Turbulence is what it is. Then the plane started banking and eventually on the monitor we saw the plane was now headed back to Atlanta. A puzzled look came across most of the people around us. One of the flight attendants walked back to the monitor and turned it off, not saying a word and avoiding any eye contact with the passengers. Everyone started chattering and wanted to know what was going on. About 10 minutes after the monitor was turned off the pilot made an announcement. I donít remember his exact words but he said that fire sensor for one of the engines had lit up and he had gone ahead and shut that engine down. He then began to assure us that the plane can function on the remaining engines, but we had to immediately return to Atlanta. My wife asked me if they were kidding. I told her that that is not exactly the kind of thing they kid about. We had a full load of fuel to get to Hawaii, which is not easy or safe to land with. After we got closer to Atlanta we had to circle around for about 25 minutes dumping our fuel. The pilot made a few more announcements. One of the more memorable announcements was the one letting us know that it is normal to have emergency equipment on the runway for an emergency landing. My wife about had a cow! We made our landing and shortly after the tires hit the runway, everyone cheered.

I guess every time you get on a plane you could be thinking well this could be it. I had never felt this way until the pilot made the announcement about the fire sensor. Unlike the other times when I came close to death, I never had so much time to think about it. I wasnít scared, I was just sad because there was so much more I wanted to do before I died.

View Profile of TikiGoon Send a personal message to TikiGoon  Email TikiGoon Goto the website of TikiGoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation