FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What to eat and drink when you have a cold?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What to eat and drink when you have a cold?
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 05:58 am   Permalink

My head's bunged up and I can hardly taste a thing, so I was wondering what kind of Tiki food and drinks to have when you've got a cold. Subtlety goes out the window when your tastebuds are on vacation.

Last night, I combined a shot of Cockspurs Rum,a small cup of milk, a teaspoon of maple syrup, and a few bits of cinnamon stick. Then I heated the mixture together, and drank it down while still hot. It soothed my head and sent me promptly to sleep.

Any other helpful recipes?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 06:04 am   Permalink

I use a grog my mum used to make me :

White Rum
Lemon juice
lots of Honey

Drink it very hot and go to bed.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 06:06 am   Permalink

Mmmmmm....Nice one Virani. I think I'll try that to ward any colds off.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:13 am   Permalink

Aye, we call that (or at least something similar with whiskey) a 'Hot Toddy'. It's topped up with hot water and sometimes cloves/cinnamon is added. Good call! I'll have a couple before bedtime.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:17 am   Permalink

to drink:
my suggestion for a hot toddy is very similar to virani's (except i recommend single malt whiskey rather than rum):

shot of lemon juice
shot of scotch
2 tspns honey
in about a cup of steaming water.

to eat (well actually slurp):
chicken stock w/ a dash of tabasco
or
miso soup
should do the trick!

get well soon,
c

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-10-06 10:30 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:20 am   Permalink

Oops, yes, I forgot the hot water !!!!

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:30 am   Permalink

I successfully fended off a cold the other night by drinking half a bottle of red wine and going to bed with lots of pajamas and covers on - the wine soothed my throat and muscles then I sweated the toxins out and the next morning felt right as rain.

someone told me that alcohol is a natural soporific (?) which means that it suppresses allergy type reactions or something (?) i.e. any good excuse to drink is fine by me!

once I'm in a full blown cold I like to eat a large bowl of spicy Hot & Sour soup.

I've heard of a Russian remedy for a cold of going to bed for a week with a bottle of vodka but I think that will, in general, cure and cause any major problem (to paraphrase Homer Simpson).

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 10:17, Tiki Chris wrote:
to eat (well actually slurp):
chicken stock w/ a dash of tabasco

Oh yeah, chicken soup - forgot about that and I was just reading about how it's been proved to work wonders with colds the other week. I just dug this up:

"Chicken soup -- as made by grandma -- contains several ingredients that affect the body's immune system, a team at the University of Nebraska Medical Center found.

They found that chicken soup and many of its ingredients helped stop the movement of neutrophils -- white blood cells that eat up bacteria and cellular debris and which are released in great numbers by viral infections like colds.

Neutrophil activity can stimulate the release of mucous, which may be the cause of the coughs and stuffy nose caused by upper respiratory infections such as colds.

"All the ingredients were found to be inhibitory, including the boiled extract of chicken alone," they wrote."

I feel like chicken (soup) tonight....

Trader Woody

Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:41 am   Permalink

squeeze a lime in the chicken soup for added taste & health benefits!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 1:26 pm   Permalink

I like to warm up some cognac- the vapors alone will clear your head!

I also recommend Gluwein, which is a warm mix of red wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, lemons, and oranges

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 2:08 pm   Permalink

Matzo ball soup, from a good deli, with continuous shots of Hennessy cognac. Good soft music, a nice book, with my bamboo t-shirt on. Ahhhhh cant get better.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 3:20 pm   Permalink

Just done the Danish Dynamite beer, bottle of red wine and now I'm on Irish Whiskey, honey, lemon juice and hot water. And I feel great!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 4:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 15:20, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Just done the Danish Dynamite beer, bottle of red wine and now I'm on Irish Whiskey, honey, lemon juice and hot water. And I feel great!

And on a 'school night' too! Good work!

I'm just partaking of Virani's Grog (substituting lime juice for lemon) after a couple of glasses of home-mulled cider. Certainly beats the decongestant tablets......

Trader Woody

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 10:41, Tiki Chris wrote:
squeeze a lime in the chicken soup for added taste & health benefits!

Mexican Tortilla Soup (Mexican Chicken Soup) often comes garnished with lime wedges, letting you add as much lime-y goodness as you wish.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 6:46 pm   Permalink

Spiced Haggis(Spaggis)heavy on the oats, chased with a frew drams of malt based distillate served neet.

sleep in your woollies, like dangergirl sez... Sleep and swet...You will wake up weak, but better.

Tell your slumberchum(s) to sleep elsewhere until you're back on your game. Nothing worse than being woke by some do-gooder.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation