FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events shag's paintings in europe, "the call of kapu" in london
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
shag's paintings in europe, "the call of kapu" in london
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:18 am   Permalink

Check out his website : http://www.shag.com/
He has an exhibition here in Paris, in the Paul Smith store. Not tiki, but cool : "holidays on ice" (I'll be at the cocktail reception tomorrow thursday with the artist), and he'll have an exhibition in London : "the call of Kapu" wich might be more tiki, October 28 to November 7.

Sounds great for the euro shag's fan.

[ This Message was edited by: virani on 2004-10-07 15:28 ]

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-07 3:27 pm   Permalink

Back from the parisian shag's night. It was pretty cool, the paintings are really nice, even if there were no tikis. We had a little conversation with cyril (uke club de paris, album cover by shag), Sunny Buick and Shag...it was nice.
We had a gift box when we left with girly letter paper, we took some pics, shag signed my "tiki art now" book Cyril took me back from SF (so did sunny)...

About the London exhibition : this is going to be a tiki one (new paintings and limited prints).
The opening is October 27th and 28th, 7 - 9pm and afterwards at Trailer Happiness Lounge Bar, 117 Portobello Road (9pm-12pm).

RSVP :
cassie@rogerlaborde.com

If you come to the exhibition, you'll have a free Anejo Highball Cocktail at the Trailer happiness.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-08 06:01 am   Permalink

Wow! Sounds great - thanks for the heads-up. I'm on a course on the 27th, but might be able to make it down to London in time for the next evening. Do you know which gallery it's going to be at, or will it be at another Paul Smith store?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-08 06:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-08 06:01, Trader Woody wrote:
Do you know which gallery it's going to be at, or will it be at another Paul Smith store?

Trader Woody

Apart Gallery. 138 portobello road.

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-09 04:29 am   Permalink

Here's pictures of the parisian show :

Cyril showing shag the "Tiki art now book" he haven't seen yet...

Cyril & my fave tattoo artist Sunny Buick

Cyril (ukuleleclubdeparis), Shag and me

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-07 15:27, virani wrote:

RSVP : cassie@rogerlaborde.com

Cassie never answered my e-mail, so I won't be going. C'est la vie.

Thanks anyway, Virani.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 04:23 am   Permalink

Some new infos on the London's show here :

http://shag.com/CallofKapu.html

Great tiki paintings

[ This Message was edited by: virani on 2004-10-19 04:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: virani on 2004-10-19 04:32 ]

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 05:11 am   Permalink

Great paintings. I'm definitely gonna go and see those in person. Then into Trailer Happiness.....yeee hah

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 05:46 am   Permalink

Well, it's just way too far for me to travel just to get turned away at the door because I'm 'not on the list'.

If I'd heard back from Cassie last week, I could have arranged time off, train tickets and a hotel but these aren't really things I can do at the last minute.

Looks like it'll be a cool-looking show, though. Shag seems to be back to what he does best. (Tiki!) Don't forget to take your camera K-H!

Trader Woody

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 05:47 am   Permalink

Hey! I just got my invite from Cassie through. I can hear those Kapu calling.....

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 07:29 am   Permalink

Ha, me too! Typical - too late to be any use, though.

Ah well, I can always look at them on the Shag site.

Trader Woody

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-19 07:29, Trader Woody wrote:

Ah well, I can always look at them on the Shag site.

Trader Woody

Or I can always see 'em the way Shag painted em!!!

I managed to get time off, transport, and a cheap and cheerful place to stay. I'll be down on thursday, so am looking forward to a damn fine evening of Tiki. How could I even think of missing such a classic show?

Trader Woody

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 4:38 pm   Permalink

Hey, did anyone else notice that the show is sponsored by Havana Club rum? Finally a slice of Tiki Heaven has landed in the Brits' back garden!

Looking forward to a damn fine evening.

Trader Woody

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 01:51 am   Permalink

Fantastic evening at the Call of the Kapu. Shag the man, the legend was there and even more important his pictures were there. Man, I've always admired his work and his prints are gorgeous BUT seeing the original artwork was absolutely out of sight. The colours on those things just jump out at you.
Apart, the gallery, had a beautiful tiki bar built by our Cheekytiki and the drinks were flowing freely all night. Then onto the fantastic Trailer Happiness for more fabulous free cocktails and conversation. It was one fantastic experience.
I was too busy talking to take any pictures but I think Trader Woody took a few so hopefully he'll post thoose.

Thanks SHAG, great work!

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-10-29 01:52 ]

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 04:37 am   Permalink

Yeah, it was a great opening(s) the work was fantastic and everyone involved did a great job.
Met a few TC lurkers as well.
Trader Woody had a camera so I'm sure he'll put the pictures up soon.
Its still on till the 7th if anyone wants to go check it out

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation