FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel San Francisco & East bay Area favorite (often vintage) restaurant & bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
San Francisco & East bay Area favorite (often vintage) restaurant & bars
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-06 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-02 15:18, Jungle Trader wrote:
If you haven't tried E & 0 Trading Co. 314 Sutter Street, S.F. please do so. The drinks are strong and delicious, and the corn fritters are pretty good too.

I don't like contradicting a friend, but I thought the drinks were not so good. The mai tai has pineapple juice, and the Singapore Sling was too sweet for my taste.

The food was pretty good, but for the money there are many better places in San Francisco.

I'm just saying it wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend to visitors.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-06 2:26 pm   Permalink

I like the feel and food of E&O. It bills itself as the "updated Trader Vic's", while we on this board, of course, need no such update.

I like the food, but have to agree the drinks are so-so. The pomegranite margarita, served up, is my only favorite on that menu. They also make their own beer, which is ok.

There is a second location in Larkspur Landing. Not as well decorated as the SF branch, though.

While in Larkspur Landing, check out the enourmous spirits selection at Noonan's Bar and Grill. Bartenders are competent and the list of tequilas is second only to Tommy's.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 5:28 pm   Permalink

The drink or 2 I had were great. One had the Black Strap Rum mmmm, maybe you should try a different drink or go there during lunch, different bartender possibly. I loved the place but it's cool, to each his own. Jab's jabbin'!!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-09-06 6:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-06 17:28, Jungle Trader wrote:
The drink or 2 I had were great. One had the Black Strap Rum mmmm, maybe you should try a different drink or go there during lunch, different bartender possibly. I loved the place but it's cool, to each his own. Jab's jabbin'!!

You're so right JT! The bartender, the drink one orders, one's mood, can all impact one's opinions. I would definitely go back again to give it another try. And now that there's one in Larkspur (near my work) I have no excuse not to go.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 1:00 pm   Permalink

And don't forget JAKARTA. Indonesian food with peanut sauce. mmmmmmmmm. Somewhere over by where Martiki used to live. I don't remember.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-09-09 2:12 pm   Permalink

Sorry, JT- Jakarta is out of business.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 7:55 pm   Permalink

Here is a similar thread regarding SF:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16025&forum=6

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-09-14 10:32 am   Permalink

Thanks, Christiki. I somehow couldn't find the older one in my searching.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-09-23 12:30 pm   Permalink

not in my list and not Tiki, but a friend drove by Holiday Bowl in Hayward, CA recently and it was boarded up and surrounded by a chain link fence.

a BIG RAZZ!!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-09-23 1:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-23 12:30, mrsmiley wrote:
not in my list and not Tiki, but a friend drove by Holiday Bowl in Hayward, CA recently and it was boarded up and surrounded by a chain link fence.

a BIG RAZZ!!!

If it happened in LA people would have been taking about this for weeks before the closing (as with Kona lanes and others) but here nobody said a thing about it's demise. Strangely, their web site is still up.

Here are some pics of their amazing neon sign:

Their restaurant was very well preserved and it actually had really good food.

From their web site I just learned that they used the restaurant and bar for scenes in the movie "The Darwin Awards".

I called their number and someone answered and confirmed its closure. He said they may be able to find a buyer who can reopen it but it doesn't look likely.

Yet another bowling alley gone.

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-23 5:46 pm   Permalink

Sucky sucky.

I was driving by Mel's Bowl on El Camino in Redwood City the other day and it looked like something was up there too. Fences and some kinda construction in the parking lot.

Roadside Peek shows photos for both (but no Bel-Mateo? c'mon, who could resist a 40ft steel totem pole?).

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-06 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-23 12:30, mrsmiley wrote:

a BIG RAZZ!!!

Awwww, man! Damn! I guess I'll have to take this off the list for Tiki Central Bowling night. Man, I'd better start hitting some of my old East Bay haunts, now that I'm back in the East Bay, before they're all gone! Ye Olde Pizza Joint with The Mighty Wurlitzer - gone! Festival Cinemas - gone! Holiday Bowl - gone!

Anyone want to go on a Hayward bar/eats crawl? Led by none other than me? There are still some great places around there - Val's Burgers, Buffalo Bill's Microbrewery (the oldest or second oldest microbrewery in the U.S.), Casper's Hot Dogs, Emil Villa's BBQ, Hayward Fishery, The Bistro, etc.

Mr. Smiley, Jab, contact me about this after you recover from your Hukilau hangovers.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-10-31 1:29 pm   Permalink

I am trying to remove a duplicate thread-here is the info not repeated;
[/quote]
On 2005-08-10 15:33, thejab wrote:
I don't have time to list them all, so I'll do it by neighborhood, starting with my favorite neighborhood North Beach:

BARS:

TOSCA - open since 1918 - amazing Opera themed bar - time warp 242 Columbus Ave SF (415) 986-9651

SPEC'S TWELVE ADLER MUSEUM AND CAFE - chockablock with chotchkeys! 12 Saroyan Place SF 415-421-4112

VESUVIO CAFE - beat hangout since 1948, homey, lots of wood, good on rainy days 255 Columbus Avenue SF 415-362-3370

CAFE TRIESTE - old Italian coffee house and original beat hangout 601 Vallejo St. SF 415-982-2605

TONY NIK'S - well-preserved moderne bar with friendly staff 1534 Stockton St SF 415-693-0990

I can't possibly list all the good restaurants in North Beach, but a few of my favorites are:
TOMMASO'S 1042 Kearny St.
RISTORANTE IDEALE 1309 Grant Ave.
CAFE MACARONI 59 Columbus Ave. and it's annex CAFE MACARONI SCIUE SCIUE across the street
BUCA GIOVANNI 800 Greenwich St

Favorite night clubs:
BIMBO'S 365 CLUB - swanky original 1950s supper club with nude mermaid paintings, girl in a fishbowl, and much more - 1025 Columbus Ave.

PURPLE ONION - old cellar comedy club recently reopened - 1025 Columbus Ave.
[/quote]

[/quote]On 2005-08-16 18:03, christiki295 wrote:[/
REDWOOD ROOM
Tel. 415 929 2372
5pm-2am Sun-Thurs.
4pm-2am Fri-Sat

Clift's famous and historic Redwood Room has been restored into another glamourous, 1940s, Art Deco jewel. The original redwood paneling glows by the candle light. According to local legend, the very long bar of the Redwood Bar was carved from a single redwood tree, alas the name.

Get there early, after 11pm, this bar is so hot there are lines around the corner.

CLIFT HOTEL SAN FRANCISCO
495 Geary Street
San Francisco, California 94102
Tel. 415 775 4700

http://www.clifthotel.com/clift_hotel_redwood_room.asp

[ This Message was edited by: 2005-08-16 18:09 ][/quote]

mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-11-04 4:50 pm   Permalink

Here is a store I USED TO sell stuff in;
--edited because the store has closed.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2008-06-25 22:51 ]

mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-02-24 3:32 pm   Permalink

GOLD SPIKE-gone in 2006 after 80 years!http://feeds.columbusnews.net/?rid=ed3b937abb32116e&cat=a605ff6512fa302c&f=1
RAZZ!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation