[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki free tiki mug from Fender
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
free tiki mug from Fender
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 07:19 am   Permalink

First the Shag tiki Telecaster last year ...

http://www.fenderusa.com/store/hulamug/noflash.html

OK, you have to buy $55 worth of stuff from the Fender online store to get the mug ... but it's still pretty cool.

FYI, Freddie Travares was one of Fender's prime movers in the glory days of the '50s, hugely influencial in product design and development. By all accounts a super-nice guy, he also was a great player, particularly on the steel guitar - that's him playing the initial acending swoop on the Looney Tunes theme. Some years ago, the Fender Custom Shop did a FT commemorative Stratocaster with a metal body that was acid-etched with Hawaiian scenes like a National resonator guitar ... too cool.

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:14 am   Permalink

Good info Tweedtone, on my favorite subject - steel guitar. Freddie Tavares was born in 1913, in Maui. In 1937, played broadcasts of Hawaii Calls radio show with Harry Owen's Royal Hawaiians, then came to LA with the band and recorded extensively and backed some of the greats like Bing Crosby and Dorthy Lamour. Freddie played all the ukulele parts on Blue Hawaii with Elvis.

In 1953, he began working with Leo Fender designing and building guitars, pedal steel guitars, and electric bass guitars.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:23 am   Permalink

tweedtone, thanks for the head's-up on this!

That wasn't hard getting to $55 at all. Besides some great guitar shirts, they also have a shirt with a Shag Tiki playing guitar and an awesome shirt with artwork from a 1960's ad of a guy playing guitar while surfing.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:30 am   Permalink

Ummm...I think I'm missing something here. Where do you see or find a reference to "Shag" or is 'shag' a term for something guitar-related by Fender?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-12 10:30, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Ummm...I think I'm missing something here. Where do you see or find a reference to "Shag" or is 'shag' a term for something guitar-related by Fender?

Here ya go:
Shag Goes Electric T-Shirt

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:36 am   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-12 10:30, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:

For the Cali NAMM (music gear trade show) last year, Shag codesigned some beautiful custom guitars:

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2628&forum=1

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-12 10:14, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Good info Tweedtone, on my favorite subject - steel guitar. Freddie Tavares was born in 1913, in Maui. In 1937, played broadcasts of Hawaii Calls radio show with Harry Owen's Royal Hawaiians, then came to LA with the band and recorded extensively and backed some of the greats like Bing Crosby and Dorthy Lamour. Freddie played all the ukulele parts on Blue Hawaii with Elvis.

In 1953, he began working with Leo Fender designing and building guitars, pedal steel guitars, and electric bass guitars.

More Fender steel guitar trivia - the very first Fender steels were made out of oak but they switched to maple because people would take the oak ones home and after a couple of months, they'd be oozing sap all over the place cuz the wood hadn't been sufficiently dried out.

Apocalypso
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-12 12:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tip on the tiki mug, dude! Tomorrow's my birthday and I can see a tiki mug coming my way ...

I played on a bill with Dick Dale about 9 or 10 years ago. One of the most fun gigs ever!

View Profile of Apocalypso Send a personal message to Apocalypso  Email Apocalypso Goto the website of Apocalypso     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 2:12 pm   Permalink

Ha ha, I was thinking of starting a topic on this when I came across the mug offer on Fender's site. I saw it and thought two of my worlds are colliding! Tiki and Fender.

It's a nice ploy to get me to buy more from them. Though that is not a problem as I was getting some info from the Fender site about my latest purchase, my birthday present guitar. I think it's a nice gesture, a good prop for Freddie. The Custom Shop Strat they did is one of the more collectible/sought pieces CS produced.

A Dick Dale gig huh? Cool.

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 2:22 pm   Permalink

Ok, I see the Shag shirt, but I was actually referring to the mug. Does it say Shag somewhere or that he designed it?

Thanks.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
net-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 5:53 pm   Permalink

Hey SCD, I think he is just referring to the fact of tiki stuff fender has done. First was shags guitars then shirt, and now non-shag tiki mug. I guess the they tiki too. Just a thought I had when reading this.

View Profile of net-tiki Send a personal message to net-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 6:34 pm   Permalink

Yep, just commenting on the global tiki awakening.

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-10-12 9:57 pm   Permalink

Speaking of Fender Stats,

I'm selling the Strat I used in my previous life of full-metal shreader for a reasonable price to anyone interested.

It's a 1979 American-made, skunk-striped maple neck with 3 Seymore-Duncans. Hard-shell case.

PM me.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 10:56 am   Permalink

Sorry about the confusion SCD. Net-Tiki is absolutely correct.

First Shag did these custom paint jobs for Fender:

(Thanks Luckydesigns for originally posting this picture)

Then the T-Shirt that Unga posted. I'm not sure if Shag has done anything else for Fender.

The mug that they're currently giving away is not Shag, but you gotta love that they're keeping with the Tiki theme.

Interesting note: I placed my order yesterday and it's already scheduled to be delivered today.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation