Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki "Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death"
"Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death"
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-14 10:16 pm   Permalink

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun today about a woman in the 1940's, Frances Glessner Lee, who created a bunch of doll house sized recreations of actual crime scenes for study by forensic examiners from around the world. I've know about these dioramas for about 6 years and I'd love to get a look at them in person but I don't know anyone at the Maryland State Medical Examiners office and they're not open to the public. The article in the Sun highlights a photographer who spent 7 years photographing and studying the miniatures and the amazing woman who made them. The photographer, Corrine May Botz, has a soon to be released book on the subject, "Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death" as well as a gallery showing of her photos in New York City at the Bellwether Gallery. Since the Baltimore Sun is a pain in the ass when it comes to trying to access their articles online I posted links to the gallery and the publisher of the book. Admittedly this is as far "Beyond Tiki" as you can go but I really think the detail and
skill that was involved in creating these "nutshells" is phenomenal. The Sun's writer put it best when he referred to them as "Norman Rockwell meets Norman Bates."

The gallery...

http://www.bellwethergallery.com

The book...

http://www.monacellipress.com

Another online article that provides more detail...

http://www.brucegoldfarb.com/nutshell.htm

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrkCat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-15 12:39 am   Permalink

Hey, maybe she has a Trader Vic's crime scene somewhere...

View Profile of MrkCat Send a personal message to MrkCat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-15 06:21 am   Permalink

Johntiki,that is fascinating!Would be a very interesting read-thanks for posting this.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-15 1:04 pm   Permalink

There was a similar article about her in the NY Times last week. Had some great pictures! Cool stuff!

waikiki

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-15 7:04 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's so cool and quirky.

I wonder if as a youngster she made them from sugarcubes?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation