FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events hukilau 2005 - decided!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
hukilau 2005 - decided!!!
powerofthetiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 11:55 am   Permalink

a. have Hukilau 2005 in Chicago and Hukilau 2006 in Fort Lauderdale

powerofthetiki
http://www.marylanddctiki.com
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

View Profile of powerofthetiki Send a personal message to powerofthetiki  Email powerofthetiki Goto the website of powerofthetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 1:04 pm   Permalink

b. keep the event at the Mai Kai

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 2:24 pm   Permalink

After thinking about this some more, I vote b.

Realistically, it is going to be hard to get me to spend money on a vacation in Chicago when I've already been to Trader Vics and the Hala Kahiki. Plus, even though we live in Florida we don't go to the Mai-Kai on a regular basis. (It's four hours away by car.) In fact, due to the hurricane we didn't go at all this year. Unfortunately, I don't think we can make it for New Year's Eve, however.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-18 14:25 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 2:47 pm   Permalink

b. Mai Kai

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Voodoo Val

Posted: 2004-10-18 2:54 pm   Permalink

I vote for A. Since I live in Florida I never get to take a 'real' vacation. Mr Voodoo likes to stay here and stimulate the local economy. I've never been to Chicago and it sounds like fun. If it is decided to have it here in Florida can we please have it in mid to late October. The weather is so beautiful then and less chance of a hurricane. I agree Pablus about probably never having another one like Jeanne, but forecasters are predicating that the next 8 years will be very hurricane heavy. I felt bad for all the folks who came in from around the country and didn't get to really enjoy all that Florida has to offer. I felt bad for me....my first trip to Lauderdale and had to hightail it home to shutter up.

View Profile of Voodoo Val Send a personal message to Voodoo Val      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Voodoo Val

Posted: 2004-10-18 2:56 pm   Permalink

I vote for A. Since I live in Florida I never get to take a 'real' vacation. Mr Voodoo likes to stay here and stimulate the local economy. I've never been to Chicago and it sounds like fun. If it is decided to have it here in Florida can we please have it in mid to late October. The weather is so beautiful then and less chance of a hurricane. I agree Pablus about probably never having another one like Jeanne, but forecasters are predicating that the next 8 years will be very hurricane heavy. I felt bad for all the folks who came in from around the country and didn't get to really enjoy all that Florida has to offer. I felt bad for me....my first trip to Lauderdale and had to hightail it home to shutter up.

View Profile of Voodoo Val Send a personal message to Voodoo Val      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 12:02 am   Permalink

We'd prefer Florida but are more likely to afford to go to Chicago. We'd probably drive surviving stretches of old Rt66 and shoot pics along the way.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EsQui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-19 10:05 pm   Permalink

a. Have it in Chicago, where the author of "Tiki Road trip" lives, where the author of "TikiQuest" lives, where the artist EsQui lives (shameless plug), where we have the famous Hali kahiki tiki bar, Trader Vic's, no hurricanes but still a massive body of water. On behalf of Mayor Daley I unofficially welcome Hukilau 2005 to Chicago.

EsQui
http://www.waitingchairgallery.com

View Profile of EsQui Send a personal message to EsQui  Email EsQui Goto the website of EsQui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-10-19 10:12 pm   Permalink

I'm voting for Florida simply for the reason that we were to travel there next year to visit Tikibelle's relatives and combine Hukilau into one trip. If Chicago....? I'll probably have to miss it again.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-10-19 10:12 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-10-19 22:12 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cosmo Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-20 3:09 pm   Permalink

Lets keep the Hukilau at the Mai-Kai & Ft. Lauderdale! (OK, i'm biased because I live in Florida & it's my favorite place in the world)... but,... We have had such a great time there, it is such an amazing place & if it takes place in the early part of Summer or in early November we are more likely to avoid hurricanes. Chicago will be amazing as well but they already have Exotica, just like Palm Springs has Tiki Oasis, and Vegas has VLV.... so on & so on... Its just extra special to have the Hukilau at the MECCA of all Tiki places... Everyone at the Mai Kai is sooo accomedating, the decor is amazing, the food is great, 2 for 1 happy hour of the yummiest drinks, and the history of it.... Why mess with perfection.... FLORIDA! FLORIDA! FLORIDA!

View Profile of Cosmo Tiki Send a personal message to Cosmo Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-20 10:31 pm   Permalink

A) 2005 Hukilau in Chicago, 2006 in Ft. Lauderdale.

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
st. john the bassist
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-22 3:20 pm   Permalink

A Hukilau without a Mai Kai? No beaches or freshly tanned skin? I don't really consider Chicago a laid back atmosphere. Busy, noisy streets without any palm trees doesn't sound too romantic.
I vote B. Keep it at the Mai Kai. Especially since the hurricane set things back a bit we might feel that we owe the Mai Kai another chance to keep it going strong.

View Profile of st. john the bassist Send a personal message to st. john the bassist  Email st. john the bassist Goto the website of st. john the bassist     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 3:50 pm   Permalink

I didn't really think it was my place to vote on this since we're probably not going to be able to make it next year.(West Coast Tiki Road Trip 2005!)

However, if Hukilau 2005 is held in Chicago we are more likely to go.

Personally, I'd like to see it remain in Ft. Lauderdale, but an excuse to check out Chicago and all it's cool tiki people and places is something I'd probably jump at.

My vote is Hukilau 2005 Chicago, Hukilau 2006 Ft. Lauderdale.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-23 08:46 am   Permalink

I vote for the Mai-Kai of course.

As someone else pointed out, Hukilau just wouldn't be Hukilau without the Mai-Kai. It really is that one place where lonely pilgrims on the road to Tiki Consciousness can come together with like-minded individuals, and celebrate both the past and present of Tiki. The place is special - as all of us who have been there well know. To the lucky few who braved ths storm this year and had the great privilege of watching Pualani Avon on stage doing 'Lovely Hula Hands' for her son, you will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

In an archaeological reference that we can all appreciate, the character Rene Belloq in 'Raiders of the Lost Arc' said: "All your life has been spent in pursuit of archeological relics. Inside the Ark are treasures beyond your wildest aspirations. You want to see it opened as well as I. Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this *is* history."

To be a living part of that history is special. This is why I think that Hukilau should remain at the Mai-Kai.

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation