FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » hukilau 2005 - decided!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
hukilau 2005 - decided!!!
st. john the bassist
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-25 1:57 pm   Permalink

Hey, just curious. When do we find out about the Hukilau's location for next year. Do you want to wait for more posts on this topic? It seems that there hasn't been too many to make a decision yet. Just wondering.

View Profile of st. john the bassist Send a personal message to st. john the bassist  Email st. john the bassist Goto the website of st. john the bassist     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 2:28 pm   Permalink

I vote for Ft. Lauderdale. I lived in Chicago for a few years and loved it but, outside of TV, there is not much tiki. SUre there's a beach, but no palm trees.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 14:28, Urban Tiki wrote:I lived in Chicago for a few years and loved it but, outside of TV, there is not much tiki. SUre there's a beach, but no palm trees.

Not trying to influence this discussion one way or the other, but there is a LOT of Tiki in Chciago, Urban (or, at least in the suburbs) other than Trader Vics!

Hala Kahiki, Chef Shangri-La, the occasional Kona Kai event, the Tong's Tiki Hut chain, retail stores like Barefoot Hawaiian, and lesser, semi-Tiki locations like Club Paradise and Bamboo Room in Schaumburg.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 3:06 pm   Permalink

Hala Kahiki alone is worth the trip to Chicago. Throw in all the other great tiki hot spots there, and the Oceanic Art at the Field Museum, and it's a slam-dunk.

It's true that there's no beating the Mai Kai, but there are plenty of other great tiki locales that are wonderful slices of history, and every effort should be made to give them some attention, too.

The argument that the Hukilau isn't the Hukilau if it isn't at the Mai Kai just doesn't hold water. Hukilau began in Atlanta, not Ft. Lauderdale, and Swanky & Tiki Kiliki have long envisioned it as an event that would roam around from year to year.

Chicago is also a more affordable and convienient trip for a lot of folks... the majority of people for whom Hukilau would be easier in Ft. Lauderdale already live in Florida, and jeez, you guys get the Mai Kai all year round. You can't be greedy, ya gotta spread the tiki around a bit!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 4:00 pm   Permalink

I don't care where the location of the Hukilau is. All I know is "I WILL BE THERE WITH BELLS ON". And another thing "THE SOONER THE BETTER". YAY!!!!
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-26 05:30 am   Permalink

Vote: a. Chicago 2005 w/2006 back at Mai Kai

The wife is from Millwaukee, so we can visit her folks and have them watch the kids during the Hukotica.

The Chicago Trader Vic's was the first TV I had ever been to and I have been meaning to get back there. The Mai Kai was fantastic and I am looking forward to getting back there again as well, but I can wait until 2006.

So would it be Late July early August if in Chicago?

View Profile of TikiGoon Send a personal message to TikiGoon  Email TikiGoon Goto the website of TikiGoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 10:18 am   Permalink

I'll vote again for Ft Lauderdale. If it is in Chicago I will not be able to attend, besides, I don't think it Could BE Huki Lau if it were not in Ft Lauderdale. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 15:06, Humuhumu wrote:
the majority of people for whom Hukilau would be easier in Ft. Lauderdale already live in Florida, and jeez, you guys get the Mai Kai all year round. You can't be greedy, ya gotta spread the tiki around a bit!

the majority of people who live in Florida are also lazy. We moved here because it's too much trouble to plan a vacation - unless it's Hawaii!

[ This Message was edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-10-26 19:58 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 10:17 pm   Permalink

I only vote Chicago if it's in the dead of winter. I loved going to Hala Kahiki when there was a foot of snow on the ground!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 14:58, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-10-25 14:28, Urban Tiki wrote:I lived in Chicago for a few years and loved it but, outside of TV, there is not much tiki. SUre there's a beach, but no palm trees.

Not trying to influence this discussion one way or the other, but there is a LOT of Tiki in Chciago, Urban (or, at least in the suburbs) other than Trader Vics!

Hala Kahiki, Chef Shangri-La, the occasional Kona Kai event, the Tong's Tiki Hut chain, retail stores like Barefoot Hawaiian, and lesser, semi-Tiki locations like Club Paradise and Bamboo Room in Schaumburg.

I never went to the suburbs. My problem with this is that, if we are staying in Chicago and have events in the 'burbs, there will be too much drinking and driving. The mass transit there leaves a lot to be desired if you're not traveling during the work day. That's why I never went to the 'burbs.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 10:28 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-10-26 22:17, Swanky wrote:
I only vote Chicago if it's in the dead of winter. I loved going to Hala Kahiki when there was a foot of snow on the ground!

Above is all in humor. I would never undermine the devastation some experienced in this season.

View Profile of Mrs. B Send a personal message to Mrs. B      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-28 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:
I never went to the suburbs. My problem with this is that, if we are staying in Chicago and have events in the 'burbs, there will be too much drinking and driving. The mass transit there leaves a lot to be desired if you're not traveling during the work day. That's why I never went to the 'burbs.

Actually, the transportation was a breeze last year, all except for Chef Shangri-la for Sunday brunch, for which you did need to hitch a ride. The hotel was right on a train stop, and many of the bars were super close. I have fond memories of TurboGod doing a pole dance in the train on the way home one night...

The places that weren't at a train stop were FAB-ulously accessable via The Party Bus!! I swear, I may have had more fun on the bus going to and from all the tiki spots than I actually did at the locations themselves. Well, except maybe the Hala Kahiki. I'd be happy if the whole event took place THERE next year!!

Yes, the beach atmosphere in Ft Lauderdale is magic, but I only had time to see the beach late Friday night. My days and nights were absoulutely full in Chicago with all the tiki places to see. (and GREAT vintage shopping by the Kitch-In, where we had Saturday brunch and then boarded the party bus.) So it's not like you'd be bored and wishing you were at the beach in Chicago. (Not that anyone was bored in Florida).

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
powerofthetiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-28 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-28 09:25, Formikahini wrote:
quote]Actually, the transportation was a breeze last year, all except for Chef Shangri-la for Sunday brunch, for which you did need to hitch a ride. The hotel was right on a train stop, and many of the bars were super close. I have fond memories of TurboGod doing a pole dance in the train on the way home one night...

The places that weren't at a train stop were FAB-ulously accessable via The Party Bus!! I swear, I may have had more fun on the bus going to and from all the tiki spots than I actually did at the locations themselves. Well, except maybe the Hala Kahiki. I'd be happy if the whole event took place THERE next year!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh captain Bob’s tiki bus. What a ride!! It was more fun then a barrel of monkeys.

powerofthetiki
http://www.marylanddctiki.com
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

View Profile of powerofthetiki Send a personal message to powerofthetiki  Email powerofthetiki Goto the website of powerofthetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 11:33 am   Permalink

missed them all, won't miss the rest.where ever it is. TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 12:46 pm   Permalink

I would love to go to Chicago in 2005! how fun would that be.

I know how tough it is to plan all this stuff (So happy you are doing it!) at least 6 months notice would give me and family time to plan a trip out to Chicago!!

Thanks for doing these shows!
XOXO Baby Doe

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation