Florida tiki calendar
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 12:14 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-10-23 13:12, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Quote:

As apposed to the first half an hour.

Time is an illusion ... I musta passed thru some sorta warp if that was only a half hour. I seem to remember drinking a helluva lot. I was drinking outside by the pool for at least a couple of hours before anyone else even showed up. Sadly, it wasn't the alcohol that finally did me in! I'll leave the more potent painkillers home next time around.

BTW - they have a free sushi setup in the Molokai every Wednesday at Mai-Kai. When are you coming down? We need to do sushi again! Your shirt is finished, and I'll be sending it out on Monday, so you should look for it on Tuesday AM.

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 08:50 am   Permalink

We showed up later than you did so it only seemed like I saw you far a half an hour. I know if any man can hold his rum it's you and Pablus of course.

Can wait to get the shirt. Mai Kai is probably going to be a while I'm so busy.

How's the free sushi?

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 3:21 pm   Permalink

The free sushi is quite good! And plenty of it.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-24 4:14 pm   Permalink

We are most definitely in for the Hawaiian Inn on January 22! In - In - In!!!
Yeah!!!!!

This time however, I need to know what to bring to contribute to the drinks. Pablus is the man for drinks! Pablus --- You are truly a tiki mixologist! You are the best!

Also, we are going to be in Orlando on Wednesday, November 10th for the night. Most people are off on Thursday in honor of Veteran's Day. Any TC's want to get together? Any ideas?

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 7:58 pm   Permalink

In Orlando, I recommend Disney's Polynesian Resort or Royal Pacific Resort at Universal, which has a couple of cool bars and a nice tropical feel: http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/resort_hotels/rp_amenities.html

Maybe we can meet for drinks at either place. My boyfriend and I live right near the Royal Pacific and head down to the Polynesian a lot too.

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 9:48 pm   Permalink

Somebody down in Florida, hook a good bro up and get me some sort of work so I can get down there sooner than later!!! Florida rocks!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 08:09 am   Permalink

<<<Somebody down in Florida, hook a good bro up and get me some sort of work so I can get down there sooner than later!!!>>>

The Hawaiian Inn itself - the bar areas, both outside and in, could use a serious sprucing up.

I wonder if they could be approached about getting the Master Bamboo-ologist himself to tear into the place a few days before the gathering and then celebrate with the TC ohana.

They could probably get some press out of it as well. Maybe bring Coombs in to do a Tiki for their entrance or something along with the Rev. and his bamboo work.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 09:58 am   Permalink

Ben/Pablus,
Doing the bar in bamboo would be a great project. However, I wonder if after all the lost business from the Hurricanes, they have the dinero to do it. I'll ask Wayne if he's interested. They were doing some remodeling to the showroom before the storms hit, but I have no idea where they are with any it as of now. Maybe something could be worked out. It sure would be a great to have Ben join us in January.

Speaking of Wayne Coombs, he just finished a custom job for me. I'll post photos as soon as I get them.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-25 09:59 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-24 16:14, NeptuneTiki wrote:
Also, we are going to be in Orlando on Wednesday, November 10th for the night. Most people are off on Thursday in honor of Veteran's Day. Any TC's want to get together? Any ideas?

Neptune,
You can count on us for Wednesday, Nov. 10. Tonight I'm going to look for that tropical-themed Chinese place on I-Drive you told me about. I'll let you know what I find.
If that works we also could play a round of tiki golf.

Tiki Island Adventure Golf
"With 36 miniature-golf holes, Tiki statues, waterfalls, caves, and more, Tiki Island Adventure Golf is sure to provide fun for the entire family."
Address: 7460 International Dr Orlando
Tel: 1 407 248-8180

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-27 09:00 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 08:09, pablus wrote:
<<<Somebody down in Florida, hook a good bro up and get me some sort of work so I can get down there sooner than later!!!>>>

The Hawaiian Inn itself - the bar areas, both outside and in, could use a serious sprucing up.

I wonder if they could be approached about getting the Master Bamboo-ologist himself to tear into the place a few days before the gathering and then celebrate with the TC ohana.

They could probably get some press out of it as well. Maybe bring Coombs in to do a Tiki for their entrance or something along with the Rev. and his bamboo work.

That would be sweet!!! Your going to need an assistant, and I'm your man. I have an awesome set of tools.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-28 10:13 am   Permalink

Has anyone other than Neptunetiki heard of a Chinese restaurant on International Drive in Orlando called "MaiTiki"? (I especially wonder if Wayne Coombs knows about it.)

I had never heard of this place so when Neptune told me he had stumbled into and out of it awhile back, I had to check it out.

First off, it isn't a tiki bar -- but it does have some great vintage tiki decor including a couple of war clubs, some spears, a constellation of great old-style hanging lamps (puffer fish, fish traps, glass floats, seashell/tapa and several types of bamboo). There is a fair amount of bamboo and thatch roofs over the booth areas, a large aquarium, a huge Maori mask and a dragon mask, and a dugout canoe hanging from the ceiling. The only tikis, unfortunately, were fiberglass ones guarding the front doors.

The restaurant is actually part of a Kobe Japanese Steakhouse which is accessed through a side doorway. They have a sushi bar as well.

The waitress told me the restaurant has been there for twenty years and they remodeled the Chinese portion of it five years ago. She thought that is when they put up the tiki decor, but wasn't sure. I have an e-mail address for the owner, so I'm going to try and find out where they got the lamps, etc.

The drinks are served in white ceramic Japanese mugs which can be purchased. Our favorite tiki drinks were not on the menu, however. I had a Samurai Sansu which included gin, pineapple juice and coconut cream. It was pretty good. Then I asked if the bar tender could make a Mai-Tai. Big mistake on his part and mine. Yuck! Oh well. On the positive side, the food was decent and the portions huge.

This place is definitely tiki de-evolution, but well worth checking out if you are in the area.

Mr and Mrs. NeptuneTiki and us will be there Nov. 10, if anyone else wants to join us. I think we can be there around 7.
KG

PS -- I also found out there is another Hawaiian-themed mini-golf featuring a volcano on I-drive called "Hawaiian Rumble Golf". It's close to the MaiTiki restaurant, but the few tikis I saw looked like poorly done rip-offs of Wayne Coombs' style. Their volcano is awe-inspiring, however. It looked to be at least three stories high with a waterfall gushing from the top of it. Still, I think the Tiki Golf mentioned higher in this thread looks like a more enjoyable course, if anyone wants to do that after dinner.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-10-28 10:19 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation