FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Art by Swamp Fire aka Doug Horne
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Art by Swamp Fire aka Doug Horne
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-17 7:57 pm   Permalink

Hi all,
I've enjoyed all of the talented artist on the board. I'm finally getting a chance to post some of my recent work.

First up is a handmade book of almost all of my tiki inspired paintings 18 pages total. I'm only going to make 25 of these books. This project has been a ton of work but my love of tiki has gotten me through it. I still have 17 more books to print and build. The first pic is the cover shot.

This is the opening page. I hand tore each page and the paper is a handmade acid free paper with chunks of wood in it. Gives it a very primitive look.

Another interior page

My dream paperback cover

This one is titled Pick-Up Artist

This one is titled The Mighty Mai-Kai

And who does'nt like hot rod monkeys

[ This Message was edited by: Swamp Fire on 2004-10-17 19:58 ]

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-17 8:04 pm   Permalink

Too cool. I love the monkey on top of the Mai-Kai sign. Great job!

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-17 8:16 pm   Permalink

WOW...that is amazing. is there a possibilty of a less labor intensive version coming out. I would love one, as i am sure many others
Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrkCat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

Very Cool...

View Profile of MrkCat Send a personal message to MrkCat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-17 9:49 pm   Permalink

excellent artwork

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-17 9:53 pm   Permalink

That is really beautiful work! It's great to see you posting it.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-17 10:59 pm   Permalink

Damn... some top notch stuff there! A lot of talent wrapped up in those pages.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-17 11:58 pm   Permalink

I had the pleasure of meeting Swamp Fire at Hukilau where he had the this amazing hand made piece, all I can say is that it is such a wondeful piece and besides the amazing art between the covers it is such a unique thing, I am so hoping that things turn around for me so I have the opportunity to own one of these.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 12:10 am   Permalink

piced up the pick up artist print at hukilau....looks great in my living room.......great stuff......

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 06:35 am   Permalink

Well,that's just stunning!I love the little skulls on the cover,too much!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 11:45 am   Permalink

Fantastic work, Whats the damage on one of the books or are they all gone

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

Wow Swampy, Those books are really cool. Great Idea, I agree, the little skulls are a super addition. Paper making is a pretty neat process. I have some friends that make paper and build really neat art books. They have also written a book on the subject. If interested, take a look. Thier ukulele books are awesome.

http://members.cruzio.com/~peteranddonna/

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-18 11:45, cheekytiki wrote:
Fantastic work, Whats the damage on one of the books or are they all gone

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Cheekytiki I'm selling the books on my web site and I have $150 ea. More details about the book at the site. Just go to the originals page.

Chongolio, great link. I love the ukulele books, very cool idea. I did not actually make the paper itself but did all of the binding and mounting of the cover and back cover design etc. Also the dye cut window on the front. The cover paper is like nothing I have seen before, kind of a cork paper, tough to describe. The skull bones are from tibet, detail pic below.

I had a great time designing the book and it was a learning experience in book binding.

http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-11-02 01:35 am   Permalink

Awesome work Doug! The book is sooOO freakin great, I got to view it at Hukilau. It's quality, top knotch! I love all the extreme angles you use, especiallly when you're lookin up at the massive signs, and pitched roofs. Colors... to die for. Characters....come on! "A" for awesome. Can't wait to see mo'

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 1:42 pm   Permalink

You've got incredible artistic vision, Swamp Fire. Those are just too good for words. Hang with us for awhile. We really must see whatever you have in store for us in the future...

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation