FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events 2005 Hawaiian Inn party, Daytona Beach, January 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
2005 Hawaiian Inn party, Daytona Beach, January 22
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:56 pm   Permalink

Humu's collecting data for her new book, BOTB ~ Book of Tiki Bathrooms.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 3:48 pm   Permalink

Keep your eyes on the hands.... I think I was making Swanky dizzy. Thanks for the great pics Humuhumu.

Excuse me lady... Pablus made me wet my shorts!

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 9:11 pm   Permalink

Here are my pics from my short trip to Florida ..... there are very few pics of the Tiki Central people who attended, since Humuhumu did a great job with her pictures.

I flew in on Thursday afternoon, and I soon found myself at Disney's Polynesian Resort

I happened to find myself walking by the entrance to the luau show 10 minutes before the show started - felt it was destined for me to attend

A good show, but I was annoyed that I paid 15 bucks for a lousy drink, served in a carved coconut mug that was mine to keep - except that some damn tourist swiped it from the table when I was taking pictures of tikis after the show.

I wanted to visit the Bamboo Lounge, but it was closed that night, so I went to Wai-tiki instead - the big monkey mural upstairs is incredible (no picture yet)

Because I had never waken up to the sight of a giant orange, I stayed at a hotel with this view out the front door.

The next day (Friday) started with two rounds of golf at the Tiki Gardens Miniature golf course

That evening was the group outing to a great dinner and many rounds of drinks at Julians .... Here is fantastic Bre-elle, with the curved bar and the fantastic Julians mural behind her.

and a closeup of the mural

Back at the Hawaiian Inn, there are some great neon witco lights, which reminded me of a Dan Flavia neon light exhibit that I recently saw at the National Gallery of Art.

I really liked the Luau show at the Hawaiian Inn - it has a more homegrown feel than the overly slick Disney production, and they also offer 2 for 1 drinks during the second half of the show. If you consume the right combination of drinks, and sit next to the bubble machine, you will experience a quite dreamy and hallucogenic 'Tiny Bubbles' experience that even the Mai Kai and Disney couldn't match.

Thanks to Pablus and Rusty Nail for their ukulele music, and to all the others who bought ingredients for the great rum drinks, and provided the atmosphere for a great weekend.

I should have got HumuHumu to hold up this empty barrel, as it would then seem much more realistic by appearing to be twice as big. I think Pablus has one of these every Friday night.

And finally, one Route 1 motel sign that I passed on Saturday, which I encountered when I was hung over and missed the turnoff onto the barrier island.

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev on 2005-01-25 21:14 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 10:34 pm   Permalink

Great pix Vern and Humu!

That Hawaii Motel sign is AMAZING... as is the RUM BARREL! Sorry I missed out on quaffing a little of the potion therein...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 01:50 am   Permalink

Yeah, that was so nice. I enjoyed the concoctions so much on Friday night that I had to lay off the sauce more or less on Saturday.

And I shot some nice slides of various artifacts and locales between Orlando, Jacksonville, Daytona and Fort Lauderdale. I will share some of the results of this Florida expedition on Friday night at Tiki Taix.

Come and see: Mai Kai views, Witco livingrooms, Daytona Tiki, and more!

Disclaimer!: I was merely posing in the WaiTiki men's room, Humu did not catch me with my pants down. And Naomi is just camera shy, she was with me all along. I invited the girls into there, but when we startd taking pictures, we were kicked out.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 07:17 am   Permalink

I really want to know if that Hawaii Motel sign has motion in the hula girl's neon skirt!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-26 07:17, Swanky wrote:
I really want to know if that Hawaii Motel sign has motion in the hula girl's neon skirt!

Swank,
I've passed this sign at night and parts of the neon are burned out, or otherwise not operating. But I think you are right that the lights on the skirt were designed to flash back and forth to give it a swing and sway effect.

I have an old postcard of this hotel. The pole holing up the red sign was originally painted to look like a bamboo pole. It really is a great piece of Polynesian pop art. Glad you found and photographed it Vern.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 08:09 am   Permalink

Here is my selection of pics from the weekend. Look for my 50's places (Tiki and non-tiki) on http://www.SwankPad.org later.

Pablus Home Bar

More of his Lounge

Some of the Haole Cats. Do you have a band at your home bar?

Our host performing.

Vern and Bree under the glowing mask at Julian's.

A panorama of Julian's.

Man, those hips are made for hula!

For Pablus and his brother...

Julian's Door.

Poolside at the Hawaiian Inn.

Damaged, but still awesome. I love this mix of mod and thatch. But, maybe this was covered before and the frame is just left?

Hawaiian Inn. The large bamboo on those columns is actually tied on. It's not just for looks. No nails or wire or screws.

Aku Tiki early Witco

Outrigger

Outside an antique store. This is about 8 feet tall.

Entrance to the show

Wayne and Sven finally meet

H.I. Lobby

A new annual Hawaiian Inn event, Bre-elle bench presses HumHumu.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:25 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 09:38 am   Permalink

OK some credits:

Thanks to Vern for the mix CD and that fantastic Mai Tai mix. It's really good. You're a good conversationalist Vern and I enjoyed taking with you.

Thanks to Wayne Coombs for listening to a couple of new originals on the uke while we lounged out on the deck.

Thanks to ABC liquor for staying open until 12am and stocking Licor 43.

Thanks to Basement Kahuna for the concubine recipe. I didn't tell ANYONE, braddah.

Thanks to KavaKing for the Grog mix.

Thanks to JTD for the gallon of rum but we missed you there, brah. Hope all is well.

Thanks to Kailuageoff and Marian for videotaping that INCREDIBLE witco collection of the Neptune Tiki Family.
Dave, you're not insane.
Obssession is a good thing.

Thanks to Rustiki for being a good pal.
We worked out an arrangement of Nani Hanalei during one of the lulls on Saturday afternoon.

We're going to drop a mp3 of it on here in a few days.

Thanks to JonPez for taking the bullet for me by getting up and dancing and thus stopping Marian and Neptune Tiki from shrieking at them to pick me.

Thanks to the Haole Kats for making the trip east. You guys continue to astound.

Thanks to Humuhumu for the compliments and for bringing that snazzy little soprano uke. You'll be great on that one day. Rustiki says we need to perform "Wait for Me at Waikiki" together on stage. That would be a sight.

Thanks to Hanford for indulging us this channel through which to create so many memorable times.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Morgan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-26 11:09 am   Permalink

Wow! Thanks to everyone for posting all those great pics and descibing what life is like right now in a state that's not snowbound! You guys helped me forget the fact that we are in the middle of yet another snowstorm in the North East!

View Profile of Captain Morgan Send a personal message to Captain Morgan  Email Captain Morgan Goto the website of Captain Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 12:24 pm   Permalink

Another round of thanks to everyone for posting their stories & pictures.

All 3 Haole Kats were disappointed that we couldn't make it up for this event....however, we DID have a great time at the Lagoon Lounge on Thursday night! Once again, Pablus & Angela were kind enough to let us in and even feed us! Wonderful atmosphere, nice folks, good food AND more Ukuleles than you could shake your Tiki at...if that's not a recipe for a good time, I don't know what is!

Swanky - It was great seeing you again and getting a chance to chat a bit. Good luck with everything you've got going on. We're all pulling for you!

I'm here to tell you that Pablus is one helluva good songwriter. We had a great time following along with a few of his tunes...do I smell a CD in the works???

J
www.whollycatsband.net

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-27 07:35 am   Permalink

Pablus, KG,
Boy, seeing those pictures makes me especially sad we couldn't make it. Katie picked up some last minute business for Saturday afternoon and early evening that she couldn't turn down. That and some unraveling babysitting plans caused us to call off our overnighter. Since I had promised to bring the white rum for the punch, I just came down around 1 p.m. and dropped it off. Y'all must have been at lunch (or in bed) because I called a few rooms and scoured the premises w/o luck.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-27 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-27 07:35, JTD wrote:
Since I had promised to bring the white rum for the punch, I just came down around 1 p.m. and dropped it off.

JTD,
Man, that's some heavy-duty aloha spirit! I wish everyone was as serious about keeping their commitments as you are. Sorry you couldn't stay. Most of us were probably out scouring the thrift stores and antique malls. The not-so-funny thing is, someone saw an ambulance taking one of the guests out of the hotel on Saturday and when you didn't show up we all thought, "oh no....." So we are extremely glad it wasn't you!
Hopefully we'll see you at the Hukilau, if not before.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-01-27 09:42 ]

JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-27 09:38, Kailuageoff wrote:
The not-so-funny thing is, someone saw an ambulance taking one of the guests out of the hotel on Saturday and when you didn't show up we all thought, "oh no....." So we are extremely glad it wasn't you!
[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-01-27 09:42 ]

Sheesh! Break one leg and you're branded for life.

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-30 08:55 am   Permalink

WOW!!!! What a great weekend! We had a BLAST!!!! Here are some pics!

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation