FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars 40 Year Old Home Tiki Bar (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
40 Year Old Home Tiki Bar (Image Heavy)
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 10:32 pm   Permalink

Here's me and the Doc. I moved to Corona del Mar in 1969, some of the first people my family met were the Doc's clan, I have been friends with his family for 35 years. The Doc is a urologist who drives a piss yellow VW Bug with WE WE MD license plates (the DMV turned down his request for Dic Doc), he played banjo in a band called the Over-sextet and he married Doris Day's stand-in 50 years ago.

The Doc was in the Air Force in the early 60s, he was stationed in the Philippines. When he got out he bought a home in CDM and almost immediately started building this bar. He jokes that military training had taught him to prioritize:
1. Secure a beachhead
2. Dig the slit trenches
3. Build the officers club
And in 1964 he did just that.

I have been coming here since '68 and it looks exactly the same.

Much of the materials and decor was brought back from the PI. The bar was built to the Docs specifications and he plumbed and roped it himself.

The Doc knows Tropical Drinks, he has been pouring them for quite some time. He has a tradition we must honor, and, that is the search for the Mumrath. The Mumrath is a legendary rum drink, and you must seek the recipe. When you find the recipe it is cause for great celebration, however, if you do it right you are to drunk to remember the what's in the recipe the next day.

After 40 years the bar still sees plenty of action. This is Chris my friend of 35 years on the day of his parents 50th anniversary

Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-10-18 22:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely 2010-04-25 14:10 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 10:40 pm   Permalink

I like Chris's Drink of choice!!

Cool Hut too! Hanx Al!!!

Pis Doc. That's funny!!!

Old shcool is the only way!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 11:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Al. I really enjoy posts like this... It's always nice to see an "uncorrupted" tiki palace still in its pure form. Sometimes, it seems like the character gets "updated" right out of a place.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 11:16 pm   Permalink

you think the We We MD will adopt me? I'll work my rent off by slinging drinks and cleaning the pool.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 12:27 am   Permalink

Al, nice post.

...a man of vision not corrupted by foolish temptation of Southwest theme remodels, or electronic game updates in the past 35 years.

Lessons to be learned. fads like "feng shway" (sp?) pass but quality slack...is timeless.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 04:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-18 22:32, Alnshely wrote:

Hey Al, what are these things?

Great bar! Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 04:33 am   Permalink

I am having a bad day and this has cheered me up, great pictures of a great bar with a cool history!

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 05:53 am   Permalink

Great post Al - the Doc sounds like quite a character & he has exceptional taste!

To keep an outside Tiki bar in that kind of condition over those many years deserves a round of applause, or at least the tip of a Mai Tai.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 06:57 am   Permalink

Al, as always you bring something great to our tiki table.
Thanks for the pics...very much enjoyed them.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 07:08 am   Permalink

Thanks so much for sharing. A fabulous bar and a fabulous man. Sometimes it is very hard to find someone who just enjoys life, but when one does it just makes your day, it really does.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-19 07:55 am   Permalink

Wow. Gives all us "young 'uns" something to strive for.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 08:05 am   Permalink

Great post, Al ! Thanks for posting those pics.

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-19 08:59 am   Permalink

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Al, what are these things?

Kono - I believe those are hand-carved pearl oyster shells. But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the great post, Al! Appreciate it.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

The Doc knows Tropical Drinks, he has been pouring them for quite some time. He has a tradition we must honor, and, that is the search for the Mumrath. The Mumrath is a legendary rum drink, and you must seek the recipe. When you find the recipe it is cause for great celebration, however, if you do it right you are to drunk to remember the what's in the recipe the next day.

Come on Al, we know you have the recipe. Send it to Unga so that he may Celebrate!
Your threads are the best Al!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 09:31 am   Permalink

Now THAT is what we should all be trying to emulate. A fine example of a proper home bar! Very nice Al, I wish we all had more family friends like yours.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation