[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Key Limes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Key Limes
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 5:46 pm   Permalink

I just go out and pick them from my keylime tree. Sorry guys........

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 7:34 pm   Permalink

Should I paint my Citroen yellow or green?

Hiltiki: I am key lime green with jealousy!

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-22 08:25, Gigantalope wrote:
The meyers is kinda funny looking, thick skinned, and can be sweet to the point of not seeming like a lemon.

Meyers seem like they were invented to be placed next to a Vodka tree...

I'd like to try some of those Meyers lemons.

I've spent most of my life avoiding citrus (seriously, people here are always trying to give you citrus from their back yards but I always tell them "I don't eat citrus") and now I feel like devoting my life to exploring the complexities of the citrus world! Crazy. I had one guy offer me some kind of giant Chinese grapefruit, big as a basketball he told me. I accepted his offer but he never came through.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-23 10:39 am   Permalink

Good call Kono, there's more crap than good overall, and those Grapfruit you were offered taste like paper recycle bin.

On the other hand, fresh grapefruit juice has a vitality about it that's hard to put into words.

The thing about citrus is that it's so different than other types of fruit...It's kind of why I have the Marmalade obsession...actually I enjoy complex foods which have tastes of wildy different things at once. Having a piece of very Dark Chocolate, letting that sit in your craw for a few minutes to warm...then sipping a Raspberry Lambic is like that. Philharmonic in it's range of sweet to sour.

The Orange was thought to have evolved in China, India was the first major stop in the travel of our citrus, and the first mention of Oranges in Sanskrit literature is found in a medical book called the Charkara-Samhita, which was compiled approximately two thousand years ago. The Hindus called an orange a Naranga, the first syllable of which was a prefix meaning fragrance. This became the Persian meaning Naranj, a word the Muslims carried through the Mediterranean. In Byzanttium, an orange was a "Nerantzion". This in Neo-Latin, became variously styled as "Arangium", "Arantium", and "Aurantium" thus eventually producing the "Naraanja" in Spain, "Laranja" in Portugal, "Arancia" in Italy, and "Orange" in France.

Meanwhile, the Roman city of Arausio, in the south of France had become in the provencal language, "Aurenja"- a name almost identical in sound and spelling to "auranja" the Provencal word for Orange. Gradually the names of the city and the fruit evolved on the provencal tongue to "Orenge", and then to "Orange"

In the early sixteenth century, Philbert of Orange, prince of the city, was awarded a good part of the Netherlands for his political and military skulduggery to the Holy Roman Emperor, Chareles V. The prince had no immediate heir, and his possessions and title were eventually passed on to a German nephew, this was William of Nassau, Prince of Orange, who later founded the Dutch Republic and the House of Orange. In honor of William's descendants, Dutch explorers named the Orange River in South Africa, and Cape Orange in northern Brazil. Fort Orange was the name of a Dutch settlement that eventually developed into Albany New York.
After a Protestant prince of the House of Orange had served as King William III of England, a movement known as Orangism was founded by Irish Protestants, who established "The Orange Society" and called their part of Ireland, "The Orange".
Commemorating their causes on the landscape of the New World, emigrant Orangemen gave the name "Orange" to towns and cities and bodies of water from Lake Orange, Maine, to Orangeburg, South Carolina. Orangemen changed the name of Newark Mountain, New Jersey, to Orange Dale, which eventually became simply Orange, New Jersey. It's satellite towns of West Orange, South Orange, and East Orange- all as the result of a similarity of sound between the name of a transalpine Roman city, and a citrus fruit incorrectly named.

Orange Couny Ca however was named after the fruit crop that it was famous for when it broke off from LA county.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 8:38 pm   Permalink

Rusty Key, who many of you met at the Hukilau, is a citrus farmer.

Rusty even has persimmons growing. Other rare fruits, as well.

I've learned quite a bit from him and all of the many people I collect and even, yes, "borrow" oranges and grapefruits and limes and lemons from every season.

NAFTA left many abandoned smaller groves scattered all over the place and when I see a grove like that I feel I'm rescuing the fruit. But criminal apologetics aside, I'm not a big fan of key limes. I think they taste like a cross between a sour orange and a lime. But they're pretty good with a sweeter drink that just needs a hint of lime rather than a lime focus. My favorite drink is the Demerara Dry Float, btw, and it is most sour. I'm a lime, lemon freak.

Ona Koka has a lime tree in his in-laws' yard that frequently provides us 4 or 5 dozen for libations and they are fantastic.
They are the normal variety.

Here's a trick I learned from a chef friend of mine who won a lot of cooking awards in Thailand, a lime capital - when you're selecting limes or lemons - look for the smoothest skin possible.

Mmmmm, boy I'm thirsty now.
You people need to shut up.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 10:25 pm   Permalink

I use Nellie's Key Lime Juice for all my cocktails. Fresh lime juice is a pain and bottled is awful otherwise. Plus, the Mai Kai uses Key Lime juice exclusively, so, hey.

I also cut all Grog Log and Intoxica recipe lime measures in half or more. Lemon seems a little closer to correct, but I cut anything that calls for large amounts down. 1 1/2 ounces of lemon juice? Come on!

Maybe lime juice is different in California, but if you make the Grog Log recipes by the book here in East TN, all you taste is lime.

Here is an article on the Mai Kai's drinks and Key Limes.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-11 10:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-21 12:09, Hakalugi wrote:
!!!
Unga Bunga that is expensive! Yikes. The last time I bought limes (which was yesterday) they were five for a dollar. That was here in Redondo Beach at a Wholefoods supermarket. These aren't Key Limes, just the "regular" kind.

Sabu says he gets an even better deal. He buys 'em by the pound from a small local market. I don't recall the price he quoted.

Maybe Sabu can chime in.

Well, tonight I went again to the local Mexican supermarket. We have many in this neighborhood of Carson. This one is called Payless Foods, and it is on Avalon Blvd, near Sepulveda.

They had juicy, Mexican Limes - 5 lbs for a dollar, and Key Limes - 2 lbs for a dollar. (Thank God for the Mexican markets!) I bought both and spent the evening doing taste tests.

I made the classic Trader Vic's Mai Tai from the Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide. I made two Mai Tais side by side. Both with equal amounts (3/4 oz) of lime juice. This came out to one (1) large Mexican Lime, and three (3) key limes. I left one half a lime husk in the Mexican Lime Mai Tai, and two half-lime husks in the Key Lime Mai Tai. Then I drank, cleansing my palate with chicken pot-pie between each drink.

The Mexican Lime Mai Tai, which I am most familiar with, lets a lot of the flavor of the rums come through. Maybe even too much at times. It's a tricky balance. It's a mild lime. Usually I squeeze the whole lime into the Mai Tai. But since I measured 3/4 oz of juice this time, I didn't use all the juice in the lime. If I had, I would have liked it better.

The Key Lime Mai Tai was definitely more bitter. More bitter than sour. but wow! what a fragrance. Unfortunately, you couldn't really taste the rums. For my wife, this is a good thing, but to me, the lime masked the rum a little too much.

For the third drink, I dropped the number of Key Limes to two (2) or approx. 1/2 oz. That was better! For the fourth drink, I upped the quality of the rums, but kept the two Key Limes. I also upped the Orgeat to 1/2 oz instead of 1/4 oz. (I like it that way, personally). With 2 Key Limes, the rum shines through fantastically, yet the heady fragrance of the Key Limes is very apparant. This is a slightly more bitter drink, definitely. But given a choice, I would prefer it over the Mexican Lime Mai Tai. It's an even more complex drink, in my opinion. I really like the aroma of the Key Limes.

The Mexican Limes were seedless, unlike the Key Limes. I didn't worry about straining out the seeds - just let them sink to the bottom of the glass and made a point not to drink them (not too hard).

I would continue the taste test, but I am now blind-stinking drunk and barely able to type. Any sacrifice to increase the knowledge of TC, though, is worth it. (I have to work tomorrow, don't I.)

Sabu.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-11-12 01:06 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-13 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-11 22:35, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Then I drank, cleansing my palate with chicken pot-pie between each drink.

Those silly wine connoisseurs and their cheeses. Chicken pot pie is the official palate cleanser for mai tai enthusiasts!

Thanks for your selfless research. I am currently enjoying a mai tai made with the help of your studies. .5oz key lime juice, .5oz orange curacao, .25oz rock candy syrup, .25oz orgeat (Torlani's is my current fave, has a stronger flavor IMO), 1oz Goslings and 1oz Cruzan Single Barrel. Excellent drink!

I'm going to use this basic recipe (.5oz key lime instead of .75oz mexican lime) and sub different rum combos. I saw some Coruba the other day and when I get back that way I will definitely pick some up.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-11-15 9:39 pm   Permalink

We also get our limes from a local Mexican market (fresh tortillas too!). Not as good a deal as Sabu gets. Last month they were 2 lbs for a dollar (about 15-18 limes). Whole Foods Market has bottled organic lime juice with no additives. Tastes exactly like it should and is very convenient if you don't want to run out for fresh limes. Follow the recipe on the back of the Nellie & Joe's bottle for a killer Key Lime pie.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation