FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » My favorite ghost story ...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
My favorite ghost story ...
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 2:02 pm   Permalink

dangergirl reminded me of my little 14 year old black cat Cleo, which reminded me of this:

When I was about 7 years old my cousin Tammy-Lou died in a car accident. She was driving to her sister's wedding with a broken ankle. We inherited her cat Fina(a main coon). Fina was the biggest, friendliest cat around, but she didn't get along with the neighbor's cats too well. She was always fighting outside our house, and she loved to sleep in the street...right in the middle of the road she'd lie on that warm pavement...cars would come by and honk at her. She'd give them one of those "Oh, you want me to move?" looks and roll around some more.

Anyhow, one night Fina was in a cat fight in the middle of the street(very common) when she was hit and killed by a car. We were of course devastated. About 5 years ago my Dad told me that the woman who hit her died a week later, apparently she was a friend of one of our neighbors.

Strange.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 2:24 pm   Permalink

Satan's Sin
There is a rather famous story of a ghost of a Scottish Terrier at Edinbugh Castle but I'm sure you've heard it...

On our Honeymoon Mrs Gigantalope (a tolerant woman) and I went to Nova Scotia to see a Ghst Ship which supposedly reappears on the atumnal equinox at a place called Marrigomish.

We camped out for quite a long while, but no ghosts...about 3:00 an enorous skunk chased us off the beach we were at overlooking the bay of fundy.

Since then I've read the Ghost ship is around frequently, but not on a schedule...that's a joke to trik Americans.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 3:17 pm   Permalink

UngaBunga-that really got the ole ticker going!Anyways,the house I grew up in was haunted by an old woman-think she died in the house.I never saw anything,but she was there.Fast forward to after we sold the house after my Dad died.It was sold to a young couple,and about a year after,my sister went over to see how they had remodeled it.She was talking to the woman,who by now was divorced.The new owner said that she absolutely loved the house,but her husband was never comfortable in it.He hated the neighbors,and said he always felt like he was intruding in someone else's home.Things came to a head,and he left her.She told my sister that she cried for days,always sitting on a sofa that was set under the stairway.She said that all of a sudden one day,she felt at peace,and knew that she would be fine and always taken care of.She also said that she felt a very reassuring male presence in the house.My sister realized that my DAD was still there,protecting the females (she had a daughter)of the household.That was probably why her husband felt so uncomfortable.It feels nice to know that my father is continuing to take care of our old house.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 3:37 pm   Permalink

Gigantalope --

No, I am not aware of the story of the ghostly Scotty dog! What is it?

My own Scotty is a rather ghostly-looking creature as is. I would just love to hear of a "real" Hound of the Damned!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 6:46 pm   Permalink

Not sure if Bobby was a Scotty, or a Terrier who lived in Scotland. The statue of his loyalty represents him looking like Toto.

In 1858, John Gray was buried in old Greyfriars Churchyard. His grave unmarked by any stone, became scarcely discernible; but, while no human interest seemed to attach to it, the spot was not wholly disregarded or forgotten. For fourteen years the Gray's faithful dog kept constant watch and guard over the grave until his own death in 1872, and even after that according to local legend

The famous Terrier, "Greyfriars Bobby" was so devoted to his master John Gray, even in death, for fourteen years Bobby lay on the grave only leaving for food, and is often reported to be seen and heard still today.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 6:58 pm   Permalink

Is the Scottish Ghost Dog story the one about "Greyfriar's Bobby" in Edinburgh, Scotland?
If so, that Bobby was a Skye terrier.
Some information is at
http://www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk

I once had an experience at work in a retail store that was probably not ghostly until later. After closing, merchandise across the store would drop off the shelves, and not items that were stacked precariously. It would start right when anyone (not just me) was well into counting out 4 cash register drawers, at the point where a loud slap of a box hitting the floor would make you lose count. I didn't really think about it, and just figured it was the mall building moving, and others store's stock crews bumping into common walls, but then it happened at all different times, and when we knew it shouldn't be. One night, one of the other closing managers lost count after another item hit the floor, and I got a really clear idea that we had a ghost and that his name was Howard. I called over in the direction where things tended to fall, and said, "OK Howard, we know you're here, now stop messing up the store!" Nothing else that night, except mild mockery from the coworkers. After a week, before starting count-outs, we'd say out loud, "Hi Howard, we really need to do this count, and clean up the store, so play nice." Nothing fell off the shelves for us any more. It worked for everyone to talk to the ghost, except for the one guy who refused, stating that we were all "nuts". Maybe so, but we didn't have to go pick up 4 or 6 boxes off the floor every night!
Years later, I left the company, and the spot had been re-leased to another retailer. I ran into an aquaintance that had worked for another retailer in that spot about 10 years previous to my experience. When she found out where the store was located that I had left, she said, "So, was it still haunted?" Eeeeee!

[ This Message was edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-10-22 19:01 ]

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 11:33 pm   Permalink

Here’s my only personal ghost story…

When I was 15 my older brother Barry died in a car accident. He was 13 years older than me and I really respected and admired him as any younger brother would... so when my parents, aunts, uncles and older cousins had to go to his house and sort through all of his belongings, I was given two gigantic boxes full of records. My brother was into all kinds of music - Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, etc. but what stood out for me was a nearly complete catalog of Bob Marley's albums as well as a few Peter Tosh LP's. I had only heard of reggae, I never really bothered listening to it until then. Well as the years passed and I got older I branched out from what my brother "left" me and became totally immersed in reggae music. After graduating from high school I decided that I wanted to pursue a Mass Comm. degree initially wanting to go into radio - so when I attended a local community college I pressured hard to get a show on the college radio station to play reggae. Being an amateur radio DJ I think my parents were probably my only consistent listeners but the first night on the air I got a phone call from my mother who had obviously been crying and I asked her what was wrong...she told me that she was in the kitchen with the radio playing in the living room when she heard a vibration coming from my parent's bedroom - on the wall where my brother's high school graduation picture was framed and hung beside my 2 sister's and my own. Barry’s picture was vibrating and rattling in tune with the music - the other 3 frames were completely silent. I got goose bumps and even choked up myself when I realized that the record on the turntable was my brother's copy of Bob Marley and the Wailers - Survival. At least Barry was appreciating what I was playing, even if he was listening from somewhere else.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-23 12:18 pm   Permalink

I don't belive in Ghosts, god or anything else like that...This having been said, I don't expect any of you to belive this, which happend to me. (and to "Big Rudy")

in 1986 I was wasailing around the UK as I had inherited some money, and parle'd it on Teddy Ruxpin (Worlds of Wonder) stock.

I had problems with my flight back to the US and got stuck in Heathrow overnight.

I slept most of the afternoon, read that night...quite late, the place became deserted. (Where I was anyway) excpet this frail old man.

I feared he would latch on to me and tell his life story...which he started to do, then said "I know you are afraid I'll latch onto you and tell my life story"

we chatted, and I got a coffee, taking my bags with me. I was quite a distance from him, maybe 150 yards and I hoped he was not offended by me taking my belongings as I got the change for the coffee machine thing.

out of nowhere he appeared behind me laughing that I didn't trust him, and acted dissapointed, but aknowledged that this is how people are nowadays.

It stuck me as very very odd, but I thought I must not have noticed him, or spaced out trying to figure out british money...

we ended up talking for hours...he was one of the funniest people I ever spoke with, almost being able to read my mind. Many of the same books read, many of the same places visited.

We even talked about pop music which he seemd interested in, and asked for a list of records to get...I remember ranting about the brilliant "Rain Dogs by Tom Waitts" as well as about 10 others.

He frequently made refference to a condition he had which was trminal...I assumed maybe cancer (as I said he was frail looking)

at a point about 4:00am he said the best time to leave a party was when it was at it's peak, so all the memories of the people were at thier best.

He then gave me a brass button from his pocket and said "this was so I would remember the chat, and jokes we shared" as I might not remember it or think about it later.

He walked off slowly, like an elderly person does...and in my head I replayed the conversation...jokes, books stuff.

My trip home was hellish, I got detained for smuggling drugs. (which turned out to actually be horse shit in my boot treads, in a plastic bag...disguised as hash)

The syringes I had, were clevery camofloged with ink, and were in fact rapidiagraph pens.

I was angry and my belongings were a mess...but it was kind of funny...horse shit and all...but really distracting and a crappy end to a fine vacation

It took about 3 months for me to piece together all the details of the encounter with this guy as being more than just wierd...but it wasnt until I noticed all the books and records I said he should get...every one of them was gone from my house that I knew this guy wasn't of the same world as us.

Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 08:47 am   Permalink

The story I posted on this thread was about a sex-crazed ghost at the Hotel del Coronado who took a piece of jewlery from a man.

In doing an idle search of this same ghost on the web, found this recent story about a couple visiting the haunted hotel room and the woman mysteriously losing a ring, only to have it mysteriously recovered.

So this ghost not only likes sex, but is also very partial to baubles!

Happy Halloween, everyone.

http://www.eeeek.com/coronadoghost.html

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 09:29 am   Permalink

Satan's Sin-thanks for the link to that great site-looks like lots of fun spooky reading is there to be had!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 04:05 am   Permalink

Quote:
I sat up and flicked on the light. No cat. And the door was shut.

This happened about a dozen times. I figure a cat must have been run over in the garage before we moved in. A neighbor confirmed that the previous owner kept cats.

cats can and do 'astral project'. they are, as is known, equivalent to the standard untrained psychic.

you want 'ghost stories'.. don't get me started. Hawaii is very psychically imbued this way...

did I spell that rite? who knows after 3 maitais....

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 5:54 pm   Permalink

BUMP,

If you see Mai Tai (the person, not the drink) ask him to tell you about the lady in white...she shows up in Niles Canyon (in CA near Union City) during certain times of the year.

As for myself, I don't think I believe in ghosts, I think. Yeah, I've had unexplained experiences. And yeah, they kinda freaked me out. And yes, the skin on my neck crawls and I get that low gut feeling when I suspect something unnatural is around ... But since I don't believe in ghosts, it must be my imagination.

What freaks me out even more are Owigi boards. I will never have a Owigi board in my home. It's bad juju. I have the tarrots, but no Owigi. Too many creepy adolescent experiences with the Owigi. Man, just typing 'Owigi' creeps me out.

Nonetheless, I still LOVE ghost stories in October.

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2006-10-18 18:18 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 6:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-18 17:54, Coco Loco wrote:
Man, just typing 'Owigi' creeps me out.

If you think that's bad, then you definitely shouldn't attempt to type the word "Ouija" either.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 6:57 pm   Permalink

Damned you Google! I actually googled this to check spelling. Okay, "Ouija" "Ouija" "Ouija" "Ouija" "Ouija". ohhgghh, all creeped out now!

Quote:

On 2006-10-18 18:42, Mai Tai wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-10-18 17:54, Coco Loco wrote:
Man, just typing 'Owigi' creeps me out.

If you think that's bad, then you definitely shouldn't attempt to type the word "Ouija" either.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnyvelvet
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-22 5:51 pm   Permalink

My older brother died in 1996. I inherited most of his furniture and personal items [including a small Maori tiki and a Tiki rug], all of which I brought into my apartment. About a month later, I woke up one night with an odd feeling. I checked the doors and everything was locked. On my way back to bed, I saw a few tiny bright gold 'sparkles' falling very slowly from his 1950s floor lamp. I blinked my eyes, shook my head and took a step closer. The tiny gold things continued to sparkle until they hit the floor and disappeared. It seemed to be a 'Hello' message from my bro, and I did not feel threatened or scared. I said "I'm going back to bed now" and that was it. Of course, I see him in dreams occasionally but no more gold sparkles.

View Profile of johnnyvelvet Send a personal message to johnnyvelvet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation