[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Collecting Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki swizzle history, discuss
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki swizzle history, discuss
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 02:42 am   Permalink

While researching plastic swizzles as a way of dating a defunct bar, I ran across two interesting articles on the history of swizzles by Stephen Visakay, author of Vintage Barware: http://cocktails.about.com/library/weekly/blswizzle.htm
http://cocktails.about.com/library/weekly/blswizzlegs.htm
This has me wondering about the history of tiki swizzles in particular. Whats your best guess as to the age of the oldest one you have? Does anyone have any bakelite or glass tiki swizzles? (probably not, I am guessing)
Have any of you author-types ever interviewed the powers that be at Spir-it, the still-extant company founded by Jay Sindler, who patented the swizzle in 1934? If they were a supplier of swizzles to tiki bars, their records could be very interesting, IF they'll share anything of them. http://www.spir-it.com.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 10:04 am   Permalink

I have just a few older swizzles. My favorite, and I am sure, the oldest, is a see-through, light green oar with GRACE LINE imprinted in plain block letters. It was a passenger line that was sold in '69. I'm guessing it may be from the mid-sixties.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
polynesian posh boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-22 10:47 am   Permalink

My parents collected swizzle sticks like people collected matchbooks from restaurants, clubs and airlines in the 60's and early 70's. Being serious here; it seems the swizzle sticks started becoming scarce about the same time "The Playboy Clubs" started closing down. They had tiki themed swizzle sticks in their collection so I know they are out there.

View Profile of polynesian posh boy Send a personal message to polynesian posh boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 3:39 pm   Permalink

Swizzle sticks are a hobby of mine and Tiki sticks are at the top of my list. Since the topic came up I thought I could share a little info and a few from my collection.

The oldest swizzle sticks are as ancient as Polynesian Pop itself, if you look at early Don the Beachcomber bar menus youíll notice them holding the garnish.

The stick pictured is made of wood with the logo burned into it, I have two different styles of these.

Some of the oldest swizzle sticks had paper inserts, or had the logo etched into the glass, shown a glass stick from Tradír Sam San Francisco but itís silk screened so itís probably not too old.

By the early 60ís plastic sticks had become an art, some of these swizzles are unbelievably amazing in detail. One of the benefits of finding an old stick is you can get some idea of how big an operation the establishment had going. The more money they had the more elaborate the sticks (generally) where.

Although itís a good idea to do research I donít recall seeing many Spir-it Tiki sticks, they may be out there but I havenít seen them. Like classic Tiki bars, the great companies from the 50ís and 60ís that made the best sticks are long gone.

My very best Alohas,

Bosko

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIBOSKO on 2004-10-24 15:48 ]

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 7:39 pm   Permalink

amazing collection, I am jealous. I also collect these but they are not as exciting.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 6:51 pm   Permalink

We found a box of about 50 or so swizzles in a thrift shop in Bend, OR, for $10 we got the whole lot, which included these three swizzles:

We'd seen the Disneyland one in an antique mall a few weeks earlier for $10, and despite feeling like that was a ridiculous price to pay for a silly little hunk of plastic, it was hard for us to leave it behind... there was much rejoicing at finding this whole set. The others are a Hawaiian Village swizzle, and a Trader Vic's war club swizzle.

There are a bunch of very cool non-tiki ones in the set, too, I'll post about them in Beyond.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 12:35 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:34 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 02:15 am   Permalink

http://www.swizzledd.com/

Doris helped immeasurably in gathering info for the Tiki Gardens Memorial.

And she has the largest collection of leilani mugs I've seen in person.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-28 05:47 am   Permalink

DD (as in swizzledd) is superstar. A real sweetie.

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-15 9:41 pm   Permalink

For my Savage Renewal post, here's my Tiki/Hawaiiana Swizzle collection:

on the left from top to bottom: an unmarked palm tree, Don the Beachcomber (I believe from the Waikiki location), the Sheraton Maui Hotel, Maui, Hi, the Golden Cape - Kauai Surf Resort, the Matson Line, and the Hale Koa Hotel "On the Beach at Waikiki."

In the middle from left to right: the Maui Hilton, an modern unmarked Moai, and my TV's Menehune.

On the right from top to bottom are: "Stolen from the Lahaina Broiler - Lahaina - Maui," Kauai Surf - Kona Inn - Manaloa ("Inter-Island Resorts"), 2 TV's Menehune picks, and the Chief's Hut at the Cinerama Reef Hotel - Waikiki.

And my Non-Tiki Swizzle sticks are
Here.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-09-15 21:43 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 08:11 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2006-01-16 14:54 ]

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
traderfranks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-05 6:36 pm   Permalink

If you'd like to start collecting tiki swizzle sticks, or add to your collection, I have a nice grouping for sale on ebay. It ends tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tiki-Swizzle-Sticks-and-Mug-Hawaiian-Isle-Miami_W0QQitemZ6241029936QQcategoryZ10905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of traderfranks Send a personal message to traderfranks  Email traderfranks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Although itís a good idea to do research I donít recall seeing many Spir-it Tiki sticks, they may be out there but I havenít seen them. Like classic Tiki bars, the great companies from the 50ís and 60ís that made the best sticks are long gone.

Bosko

Bosko, I just got this a few days ago. It was made by Spir-it. I have been trying to find something on this place (Hawaiian Room Hotel Lexington New York) It's hard to read from the scan. Anyone have anything on this place?

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2006-01-05 19:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2006-01-05 19:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2006-01-11 19:42 ]

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 8:03 pm   Permalink

That's the Hawaiian Room in New York, here's the entry in Critiki:

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=351

And here's a mug in Ooga-Mooga:

Hawaiian Room Tiki Mug

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 8:16 pm   Permalink

AHHH very cool! Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: tikimecula 2006-01-05 20:17 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation