FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » walmart spirit of aloha
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
walmart spirit of aloha
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 12:06 pm   Permalink

A good parallel to the subject:

The History Channel aired this very comprehensive and eye-opening documentary now available on DVD. It details a history of Hawaii's development as a nation through the overthrough of it's parliment inspired government by a handful of American businessmen.

May the Tiki Gods Bless You TikiGardener!
-FB

http://store.aetv.com
search:  Conquest Of Hawaii DVD (History Sunday)

[ This Message was edited by: FreakBear on 2004-10-25 12:11 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 12:06, FreakBear wrote:
A good parallel to the subject:

DVD. details a history of Hawaii's development as a nation through the overthrow of it's government by a handful of American businessmen.

This is one of the best books on the subject:
To Steal a Kingdom

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/096334840X/002-7173424-5036808?v=glance

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 3:15 pm   Permalink

In respnse to:
"4,400 hawaiian residents are gainfully employed and thousands shop there. Isnt that good for the State of Hawaii's economy and employment rates? "

and

"I dont see anyone being forced to shop or forced to work for the evil Walmart. They filled 800 some jobs and had crowds surging in to shop. From reading everything though it appears the majority of the people are in favor of it being there and shopping there. "

May I submit:

They over run ancient civilizations. They destroy local cultural sites and they desecrate graves sites;

http://www.counterpunch.org/carlsen10152004.html

It is a depressing prospect to think we live in the day and age where something like this: "Proponents of pyramid Wal-Mart argue that it will create jobs and serve consumers cheaply-the hallmark of the store's reputation." justifies the destruction of and lack of any respect for ancient cultures.

they create thru advertising and their stores being everywhere fulla junk at low prices, a mass lemming mindset of the proletariat that, when Walmart makes excuses and justifications of these culturally insensitive actions, the masses respond with absolute acceptance and belief.

For each and every Walmart that opens in a town, 2 grocery stores close down.
The rationale that welcoming WM into a community will create more jobs is fallacious...all it does is move customers around and close down other businesses, so the net result is 0 or next to 0 gains in employment opportunities.

For each job they 'create" two jobs are lost.
Do any kind of google search on Walmart's effect on local businesses. See how they decimate the local business economy

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. discriminates against blacks seeking truck-driving jobs, resulting in federal lawsuits

many large and small companies struggle even more, after getting in bed with Walmart.
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
http://www.forbes.com/home_asia/global/2004/1018/026.html

WM forces overtime for which the complainants say they were not paid.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002058257_walmart09.html

And, on PBS Hawaii channel 10 show, a few nights ago;

based from Jefferson Wisconsin wherein they review the debacle of walmart coming into that town and they cover some evidence;
each sprawlmart that enters a town on average causes TWO grocery stores in that town to close.

many wage earners working for walmart are required to supplement their income with foodstamps (to even afford groceries at the very place they are employed!) as well as require other govnmt assisstance.

With all the concessions, tax breaks etc. handed to walmart by each state city and county they enter, along with the assistance local state and federal governments hand their low wage earning employees, it is estimated approx. 2.5 million a year is the cost to the government to have each walmart in the town.
Old longstanding beautiful historic buidildings are torn down, replaced with parking lots.
Many old established businesses shut down; customers flock to walmart to buy the same thing cheaper but that's just part of it; To stay in business manufacturers alter their sales and distibution format and are forced by walmart to implement parameters on their business to the extent this is a standard example; a Jefferson Wisconsin shoe store was told by Converse their buyer must now purchase $3000.00 of shoes per month or they will no longer sell to that retailer. This breaks the retailers back and along with many other factors, effected by the introduction of walmart to town, they go under.
Just as in Honolulu; many want the convenience and low prices of the Big Box stores, but when we invite this behemoth to town to satisfy our addiction to consumerism, we lose something else that is far more important; a quality of life and a character of the community.

So we saw on the show the other nite; a beautiful old town with fabulous architecture, slowly die. Crumble to dust. Old buildings previously the backbone and center of activity of a town, piece by piece get bulldozed and the remaining storefronts shuttered up, with all the small businesses gone. It's a sad shallow hollow empty shell of a ghost town devoid of life and sipirit just as is the heart of the giant walmart.

Now, it's not so much as a simplistic "we hate walmart" that is the view as much as the widespread easy mental and economic control they have effected on the populace. monster companies like walmart have created other tiny minimonsters, zombies... plodding to the stores on a religious basis regardless of any other evidence or information there is out there to enlighten these minions and show them there it a "better way".
Picture the Eloi silently, mindlessly ,obediently walking toward the huge structure as the sound of the wailing siren beckons them in the Rod Taylor movie; "Time Machine".
They (walmart) have taught (brainwashed) the proletariat with the funny cute family style ads on the telly, that walmart is everyone's friend. So, the masses flock to walmart with blinders on. It becomes an internal conviction as strong as a religious choice or a political affiliation.

more:
http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/talkback.html

http://www.honoluluweekly.com/cover/detail.php?id=21

funny stuff here!
http://www.phonelosers.org/wal-mart/

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 6:52 pm   Permalink

Let us not forget that the tradeofff for lower retail prices at Wallmart is the wholesale exportation of US jobs overseas ( and the inevitable destruction of more than a few families in the process).

As set forth in the "Fastcompany" link, Walmart "is helping accelerate the loss of American jobs to low-wage countries such as China. Wal-Mart, which in the late 1980s and early 1990s trumpeted its claim to "Buy American," has doubled its imports from China in the past five years alone, buying some $12 billion in merchandise in 2002. That's nearly 10% of all Chinese exports to the United States.

. . .

Steve Dobbins has been bearing the brunt of that switch. He's president and CEO of Carolina Mills, a 75-year-old North Carolina company that supplies thread, yarn, and textile finishing to apparel makers--half of which supply Wal-Mart. Carolina Mills grew steadily until 2000. But in the past three years, as its customers have gone either overseas or out of business, it has shrunk from 17 factories to 7, and from 2,600 employees to 1,200. Dobbins's customers have begun to face imported clothing sold so cheaply to Wal-Mart that they could not compete even if they paid their workers nothing.

"People ask, 'How can it be bad for things to come into the U.S. cheaply? How can it be bad to have a bargain at Wal-Mart?' Sure, it's held inflation down, and it's great to have bargains," says Dobbins. "But you can't buy anything if you're not employed. We are shopping ourselves out of jobs."

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2004-10-25 18:54 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 10:32, Tiki Rider wrote:
Youre right bigbro. you should know.
I hereby humble-ly withdraw my political question.
say Wasnt hitler a painter too?

Awchoo!

And, much to my chagrin, a vegetarian...

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 10:32, Tiki Rider wrote:

Youre right bigbro. you should know.
I hereby humble-ly withdraw my political question.
say Wasnt hitler a painter too?

Awchoo!

Tiki Rider:

Why are you trying to ridicule Big Bro Tiki?

He, if any among us, is deserving of a lot more respect.

It also weekens your somewhat valid points:

a. if all of the Hawaiian shoppers have overlooked the Walmart's actions, then shouldn't we as well? and

b. aren't the developers to blame, also?

I disagree with you on a.

I think we should always stand up for the protection of the tiki spirit, particularly as it relates to bones buried in the Hawaiian land.

This issue is bigger than Walmart.

Hawaiian bones and artifacts in general should be treated with the utmost dignity and respect, as they are the holder of Hawaiian mana (just the Father Damien burial story). Therefore, I must condemn SprawlMart's actions.

I agree with you on b.

Yes, the developers are to blame (and maybe the government if they failed to consider these strong cultural issues when approving this development).

This is also consitent with the issue of the Hawaiian artifact dispute, when a similar issue arose and I posted:

I thought that the state and the developers learned this lesson over the dispute regarding the location of the Ritz-Carlton. Unfortunately, not.

The so-ca1led Battle of the Bones erupted in the mid-1980s when a Ritz-Carlton hotel was proposed at Honokahua on a burial ground. Protests were so strong that in 1989 the planned hotel was moved back to preserve the sanctity of the site, and new laws were passed to prevent buildings from desecrating ancient Hawaiian sites.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=5643&forum=1&start=15

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2004-10-25 19:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2004-10-25 19:25 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 7:13 pm   Permalink

Wal Mart Press Release:
"This new store means that for the first time in central Honolulu, we'll be able to offer customers what they've asked for -- quality merchandise, low prices and Wal-Mart's spirit of aloha."

Aloha, aword that means Hello, Good-bye and fuck you and your dead ancestors

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

CT
a. my question about bush being compared to hitler was to big bro not you.
b. I withdrew it in case you overlooked that point.
c. I was not trying to disrespect bigbro or anyone else at tiki central.
d. My points about walmart were separate from the quetion to him. He answered me so why are you butting in? He never put himself on a pedestal or above the rest of us, or complained of any ridicule.
Maybe youre just trying to stir it up?

Aloha
now buy me a lapu lapu and I'll buy you a mai-tai.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki rider on 2004-10-26 03:57 ]

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 19:13, Alnshely wrote:

Wal Mart Press Release:
"This new store means that for the first time in central Honolulu, we'll be able to offer customers what they've asked for -- quality merchandise, low prices and Wal-Mart's spirit of aloha."

Aloha, a word that means Hello, Good-bye and fuck you and your dead ancestors

Bwahahhaaa! yea. now it does!

lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 8:59 pm   Permalink

Ok, broke a rule of mine which dictates
Don't go to, or anywhere Walmart.
so, sad to say I went to walmart today.

observed:
initally, front entrance rug was trashed. all busup arready.
Dept on left; Hawaiian products and handcrafts.
ok, stuff je'like da kine at Longs.
nothing new here. Same price points.
Aloha shirts; Only one local brand. the rest of the aloha shirts were da fake kine from Thailand. junkalunk designs. (tourists might like 'em.)

Saw some cool lookin bamboo and palm tree motif tableware; plates, bowls etc.. but upon handling them saw they were light cheap plastic. aaagh!
MiniDv camera dept; only had a few models. Not much choice here. mo bettah li dat you go local store. savings? wot, maybe 20 bux per model...

did not notice much at all; any high quality brand name merchandise. This is the evolutionary stage we see wherein as reported on many walmart info web sites:
WM beats the manufacturer's price down til they can not make a profit or stay in business, and when the manuf. can't lower their costs any longer, WM creates a knock off in China (or sometimes India). heck, WM does their own knockoff anyway. The name brands help to pull some customers to the location, and the cheaper WM private label stuff goes home with the customer.

I noticed much China and India origin merchandise.
and the much ballyhooed LLOOOOWWW prices, nah. same as at Longs and Daiei.
(which is a Walmart target; they wanna buy them out.)

Oh wait what's this? "marykate'N'ashley clothing line. A name brand. ok; upon close inspection; looked like a cheap one time use china-made halloween costume quality level piece of cr... clothing...

the Alnshely quote from above: "This new store means that for the first time in central Honolulu, we'll be able to offer customers what they've asked for -- quality merchandise, low prices and Wal-Mart's spirit of aloha."
this is a typical WM spin-doctor/marketing insult to merchants in the area who for years, have offered good quality stuff at good prices. and to add insult to injury, of course, the local merchants are dropping like da cockaroach on da wall hit wit da slippah.

Upon leaving the 4 story parking structure.
Cold design. Tight parking spaces, tight lanes.

People are honking. Hate to see that begin here. Noticed an ocular products and services shop x the street with a going outta business sign.
They been there on Keeaumoku for years.

Just don't like the idea of a huge monolithic mausoleum taking up a whole block in the heart of our Honolulu.
State shoulda created a mini Polynesian Cultural center kine o thing on this block. Or help subsidize a local vendor/maufacturer's shop/village in the old style.

Yes, the state is to blame. They believed the propaganda; Walmart will bring planny jobs to Hawaii. Lotta tax revenue. THAT is all the state cares about. Not the repercussions.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-10-25 20:59, lanikai wrote:

Yes, the state is to blame. They believed the propaganda; Walmart will bring planny jobs to Hawaii. Lotta tax revenue. THAT is all the state cares about. Not the repercussions.

The tax revenue generation is true of big-box stores like Walmart & Sam's Club.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-10-25 20:30, Tiki Rider wrote:

CT
. . .

Aloha
now buy me a lapu lapu and I'll buy you a mai-tai.

First rounds on me.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 6:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 11:41, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-10-25 11:13, Unga Bunga wrote:
(rapa nui/wal-mart image)

(shudder)

This hits a little close to home... reminds me of the 'debate' that Christiki295 and I had on another thread earlier this year.

This one:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6130&forum=1

Tikibars:

Did you post that from Easter Island - Are you there now on vacation?

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-10-26 18:44, christiki295
Did you post that from Easter Island - Are you there now on vacation?

Not yet.

I leave this Thursday (Nov 4) for San Francisco, spend the weekend there, and then leave for Rapa Nui.

I come back on Tuesday the 16th... depending on the outcome of the election. If a certain person wins, I might just stay on Rapa Nui...
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 12:19 am   Permalink

I'd just like to say that this thread should prove that Tiki Centralites are capable of spirited discussion without a total china syndrome of flame wars.

While it has balanced on the razors edge, the people of tiki central have proven that above all they are reasoned adults.

A mai tai of admiration raised in your direction TC.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation