FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki carvings (gibgib) - New tiki's on page 2
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki carvings (gibgib) - New tiki's on page 2
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-29 07:24 am   Permalink

Cheekytiki,
Most welcome to as much palmwood as you can carry.
I should have sussed out which of the local breeds are better in a few weeks.

There is nil tiki action here. I can't even buy a tiki statue locally, hence my own efforts.

Give us a yell before you leave your homeland

View Profile of gibgib Send a personal message to gibgib  Email gibgib Goto the website of gibgib     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-27 04:20 am   Permalink

Haven't been here in a while, but I've completed 2 more tiki's since my first 2.

I've stolen ideas for the "Guard Tiki" from some of the carvers here

I intend to create a second guard tiki to *protect* that pathway down to the back of the yard. Also adding a structure protruding out from the shed with a thatched roof over the path to walk under. Adding more tiki themed accessories around the tin shed at that time as well.

I have some good logs ready to go, now I need some time. Anyone know a good place to buy time?

View Profile of gibgib Send a personal message to gibgib  Email gibgib Goto the website of gibgib     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 04:55 am   Permalink

Nice tikis Gibgib, I Love the Moai with the mulch on his head. Looks like he has been having fun rooting around in the flower bed like a wild pig. Mulch Head, Cool.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 07:01 am   Permalink

cool carvings gibgib,

go the aussie tiki!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 07:37 am   Permalink

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!

Oi Oi Oi!!!

Nice carvings man. Love the mulch-head moai, and the guy holdin the torch looks crazy. Nice stuff. Hopefully it wont be so long till the next ones

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 12:27 pm   Permalink

I am a palm tree collector and grower, seeing a rare for California palm behind one of your new TiKis I almost flipped and rushed to see where you live, figures, down under...that looks like a Madagascar variety, eh?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 2:55 pm   Permalink

Gib Gib. Pure Dinkum on the last 2 logs mate (partied with way too many AAF rooos on Guam!)The Moai and the last one rock for sure. The first ones rock too, but, hey, as you keep em coming, they naturally get better and better. (I still love my first one)

And you have the only Tikis in your area? wink wink!!! Give it a go!

Keep going keep going.

Many Mahaloz

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-27 7:27 pm   Permalink

The mulch on his head is to disguise the split in that palm log!
It's a cocos palm, you can almost see through it in the centre.

bananabobs, I am also into living palms. That one behind "Russell" there is a chambeyronia macrocarpa (flame thrower). It has a deep green trunk & produces a blood red new frond for a few days. There's another one with a different colour trunk as well. From New Caledonia. I reckon you'd get it to grow in cooler climates myself.
Also have a Lipstick palm which should not grow here. It needs some help, but happy to report strong growth over Winter & not death.

My wife thinks I would get $50 for the big guard so I don't think I would bother going into business carving

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 9:09 pm   Permalink

I reckon your doing pretty good. I wouldnt count out selling a tiki here and there to help pay for tools though. My philosophy is Im happy to have a hobby that doesnt cost me anything (unlike pouring money into a car or similar, which you dont see again ).

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-23 02:36 am   Permalink

This one is for my parent's Christmas present. I stuck with what I knew & completed it in a short time.
I have also updated my website with pics of our garden:
http://frondly.com

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-23 10:02 am   Permalink

Excellent First tikis GibGib, keep'em coming. The Mulch head has So much character trying to disguise himself for some reason, it makes him almost human. Post more pix when you can and keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-24 04:36 am   Permalink

Thanks Benzart!
You are truly gifted. I'm a fan. Got me intrigued how you can carve so detailed.

My favourite tiki so far is the guard. I have another log earmarked for his mate (co-worker), "the protectors of the rear of the property", ie the vege garden

The other logs I had in storage are not too good now. Splitting & absolutely light as a feather. Even just trying to cut with a saw almost knackers you.

So I'm on the search for more palm logs & I want tiki's everywhere in my garden by next Christmas.

One for the aussie's on here, Bunnings (hardware shop) have a concrete easter island style tiki in stock available in black or light yellow. They look quite OK. They are in with the terracotta pots.
But why buy when you can carve em eh?

http://frondly.com

[ This Message was edited by: gibgib 2005-12-24 04:38 ]

gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-20 05:09 am   Permalink

Carved another character this week for our front garden.
I've got one palm log left so I gotta source some more real soon.

Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 06:06 am   Permalink

Cool gibgib, looks like you have a cool garden. Do you have a big picture view of what the whole garden looks like with all the tikis you made?

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 06:50 am   Permalink

Now, he is a cool garden tiki. Looks like he belongs there. Keep it up Gib. Great work. Its so addictive ain't it?

You have an envious yard...I really appreciate your love for plants...

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2006-01-20 06:53 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation