FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Reggae Anyone?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Reggae Anyone?
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-23 06:38 am   Permalink

Anyone like reggae mon?

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-09-23 09:33 am   Permalink

Ben,

The young musicians over in HI are into a style called Jawaiian. It's a combination of reggae and popular hawaiian music. Even though I'm a purist when it comes to musical styles, it' not bad.

Maybe Gecko can shed some more light on it (or light it up!).

(jammin', we be jammin' hey mon, pass the splif)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-23 9:18 pm   Permalink

reggae, ska, rocksteady. it's totally irie ,it's breezy, hepcat is the greatest band ever......besides sublime ,bob marley is great when you wanna carve a righteous tiki....rudeboy tikirock............. Kreepy tiki Jaksin

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 12:04 am   Permalink

If you want to try jawaiian check ok OSHEN. One of my all time favs.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 08:33 am   Permalink

I'm a huge reggae fan but for some reason I don't ever mix my reggae with my tiki...I'm into early 80's dancehall - Yellowman, Eek A Mouse, Josey Wales, etc. as well as roots music (Mighty Diamonds, Wailing Souls, Culture, etc.) My collection spans from original Jamaican ska (Skatalites, Don Drummond) to rock steady (Toots, the Melodians) all the way to modern times. I have got ridiculous amounts of reggae vinyl cluttering my house and I'm always looking to buy more...you wanna talk reggae you can talk to me!!! The only stuff I don't like is the majority of new dancehall (if I wanted to listen to rap I'd buy a rap album) and this American garbage (311, etc.)

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 12:46 pm   Permalink

When I carve I got my Jawaiian BLASTEN!!! Or my Brahda IZ! Jawaiian is a mixture of the beating reggae drums to the flow of Local artist here on da islands such as Southern Rush, Oshen, Kapena the best of both worlds because they play both Jawaiian and Hawaiian.
You can pick some up at Momilanis in Oceanside. They usually have a good selection.

I hear you can get some hawaiian music over the satilite on da mainland now? Is that true? the music channles on digital satelite. If you got a awsome stereo system and can pick up over seas stations tune your radio to KCCN FM100. They play choke (a lot) Jawaiian sounds.

I love swingin my coconut wood chips to 96 degrees in the shaaaaaade, real hot in the shaaade!

I have a friend Joe whos band plays Jawaiian and reggae at Squid Joes in Carlsbad. He's a local boy that owns a Hawiiana shop in the Carlbad shopping center. They are awsome. Joe plays the bongos and the other local boy sings. The drummer is a black dude with dreds and 2 white dudes on bass guitar. I have the name on the tip of my tounge. They are awsome! Squid Joes is a cool place to have a drink too. They have Tikis outside. If anyone ever gets a chance to go, you gotta check those boys out! I hope that helps ya a little Bong.

Aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 12:54 pm   Permalink

Original Ska, brother (ca. 1963)! Lord Creator, Winston Samuel, Jimmy Cliff...

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 4:17 pm   Permalink

You look at the original ska from the Studio One label - that is the s*&%!! Roland Alphonso, Tommy McCook, Alton Ellis, Derrick Harriott, The Maytals, just to name a few...some of the greatest artists and music ever recorded in my opinion...But the unusual thing is that the rhythms created way back in the early to mid 60's were the foundation for so much Jamaican music until now.

The main era of reggae I collect is early 1980's dancehall especially anything produced by Henry "Junjo" Lawes and released on his three main labels - Volcano, Arrival and Jah Guidance. His primary backing band on the majority of his releases were the Roots Radics and they recycled Studio One rhythms and used them extensively on a variety of hits by such diversified artists as Johnny Osbourne, Little John, Sister Nancy, Yellowman, etc. to name a few. Riddims like Full Up, Nanny Goat and Real Rock ruled the dancehall in the early 80's...

Studio One is still recycled today and it just staggers the mind to think of what Coxsone Dodd and his studio have done for reggae and Jamaican music in general...

JohnTiki

Greetings to all from The Pi Yi Lenai in luxurious Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2002-09-24 16:34 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 6:18 pm   Permalink

amen to that brother.long beach dub allstars rule the planet!!!

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 10:09 am   Permalink

When I carve on the weekends, I listen to some local radio stations. Latin tropical music on klxu(?) from loyola university from 6 to 6, and on sunday nights on 100.3 I seem to do my best carving to the dancehall music.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-26 08:31 am   Permalink

I left one of my old dread locks in Bob's mosalium (sp) in the parish of Nine Miles.(back in 93') Mrs. Boo & I had this 9' kid as our tour guide who was stoned out of his mind . If you ever go to Jamaica, go to Nine Miles and check it out. We also got a personal tour (our cab driver's cousin was the grounds keeper of the compound) of Keith Richards house in Ocho Rios. We didn't know the exchange rate's differ every day so we were treated very well when we were tipping 20% everyday. We also went to Irie fm radio. Very cool. I taped a bunch of radio from Irie fm. Then traded my blaster for a carved plaque. While in Jamaica, don't ask any of the beach boys about Peter Tosh. While we were in Barbados 89' there was a local named Dr. D, who ran the beach and was pure rasta. He noticed my dreads and called them "attenas to wisdom". Ahhh. good memories.
Burning Spear, Ras Michael, Roots,Dub, Oldies, Newies, ect. It's all good!! Reggae Sundays.

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-26 5:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-26 08:31, bamboo ben wrote:
While in Jamaica, don't ask any of the beach boys about Peter Tosh.

Why not? I know Tosh was really self-absorbed, as well as paranoid and just a little ecentric. Has anyone seen the documentary Stepping Razor - Red X about the life and death of Peter Tosh? They used a lot of these personal tape recordings Tosh had made and he just came across as being really bizarre...If anyone is into Tosh they should check this out - it's one of the most compelling documentaries I've ever seen.

bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-27 06:47 am   Permalink

They got real "bent" when we asked about Tosh back then. I'm sure it's changed over time.

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

Did anyone ever go to the O.N. Club on Sunset in Silverlake back in the '80's? They had some great reggae and ska bands playing there every weekend. Also poured Red Stripe beer. As far as Jawaiian music goes, I'm not too sure I've been exposed. I've heard slack key like Sonny Chillingsworth and contemporary Hawaiian pop like Cecillio & Kapono and Kalapana. Even Hawaiian blues (Taj Mahal & the Hula Blues Band).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 11:31 pm   Permalink

Check out the new "Dub Side of the Moon" cd. It's Pink Floyds dark side all done in a "Dub" kinda way! Well worth it! Very, well, worth it!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation