FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Reggae Anyone?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Reggae Anyone?
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-29 02:14 am   Permalink

Another one, go to putumayo.com, then click "Our Catalog", then click "Caribbean", then "Jamaica", then "Midnight in Ethiopia" by Rico. But you'll have to buy it to hear it all and it's worth it too.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-30 6:29 pm   Permalink

King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, and for something a lil' different, Axiom (Bill Laswell's label) has some very cool dub.

Alla dem ting, yunno. Like me fren Rez sez, dem bwai had fe use Melodica becaa dem couldn't affard Hammand B-Tree argan! Dem was a poor mon from de ghetto!

irie,
emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mambo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-30 6:59 pm   Permalink

Yea Mon!

View Profile of Mambo Send a personal message to Mambo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-30 7:36 pm   Permalink

Hey Ben,
Was dub side what I heard at your place this morning? I was kinda mentally impaired due to last nights festivities, but I remember hearing some pink floyd that didn't really sound like pink floyd. Whatever it was it sounded good. Whos the artist(s)? Don't tell me it's the Dread Zeppelins. I ain't goin' for it!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-30 7:59 pm   Permalink

Hey Ship! Glad you made it home safe. Yes. Dub side of the Moon is what it was. My brain won't let me think of who the artists are. Man. Damage! Off to the hang overpost for some cures!! I got to get some new eyes! I think I'm blind!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-05 8:29 pm   Permalink

Great call Ben. Just got my copy today. It's by the Easy Star All-Stars. Got mine on Amazon.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-06 01:12 am   Permalink

Turbo,
Like the intro to Money?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-06 08:42 am   Permalink

What is that noise? I can't put my finger on it, I know I've heard it before.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 8:23 pm   Permalink

On your next visit to San Diego a stop at Trade Roots Reggae http://www.traderootsreggae.com is a must. Not to mention it's on Rosecrans St. (right on the way to the Bali Hai) off I-5, just before Sports Aroma Blvd. If you blink, you'll miss it.

"All my clothes are funky mon, so I will take dem to the laundrymat and Jah will make dem clean" - Down at the Laundrymat by Black Randy & the Metrosquad from "pass the dust, I think I'm Bowie"

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-04-29 21:00 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwampCreature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-20 11:58 pm   Permalink

Symarip. 1969, England, the height of the original skinhead craze. The bridge between Rock Steady and Reggae. "Skinhead Moonstomp", "These Boots are made for Walking", "Skinhead Girl", "Long Shot Kick de Bucket". "Put your braces together, and your boots on your feet". The shit.

View Profile of SwampCreature Send a personal message to SwampCreature      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-29 02:14, Jungle Trader wrote:
Another one, go to putumayo.com, then click "Our Catalog", then click "Caribbean", then "Jamaica", then "Midnight in Ethiopia" by Rico. But you'll have to buy it to hear it all and it's worth it too.

When I saw the word "putumayo" I had to check it out. I went to the site and learned that the founder, Dan Storper, had visited the jungles of the Putumayo about three years after I had spent a month there. It's a rather enchanting place. No wonder he named his enterprise after it.

In 1971, I started out from a place called Mocoa in the eastern cordillera foothills of southern Colombia with a few fellow international relations student companions. First, we went overland to go down the Caquetá River that borders the Department of Putumayo on the north. We embarked from a small village on a tributary of the Caquetá catching a ride with a Comerciante (Jungle Trader). After a couple of weeks going down river we stopped at a riverside jungle air base (Tres Esquinas) and flew south to a big town on the Putumayo River (Puerto Leguízamo). There we hired another Jungle Trader (one of their businesses is water taxi) to take us upriver for a couple of weeks until we reached Mocoa where we'd started.

Couldn't make that same trip today without probably being kidnapped by guerillas and held for ransom. Early 70s was the perfect time there. Thought you might be amused.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 1:56 pm   Permalink

Hey Gnomon, anymore stories of your jungle experience? I dig 'em.
"Midnight in Ethiopa" by Rico is one of my all time fave instrumentals. Listen to it loud with herb.....or not.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwampCreature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-23 08:40 am   Permalink

Preferably with!! Rico Rodriguez is a pioneer, he's been there from the start. He was taught by the legendary Don Drummond, trombonist of The Skatalites. He's played with almost everyone, from Prince Buster in the early days, to The Specials in the 2-Tone era, and beyond. A true legend in his own right.

View Profile of SwampCreature Send a personal message to SwampCreature      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 8:53 pm   Permalink

U-Roy!

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-25 9:31 pm   Permalink

I was a regular listener to SATURDAY'S A PARTY ( The longest-running reggae-politics mix (RPM) in the USA. Den de Dubwise playyyyyyy, it play, it play!!! Hosted by Lister Hewan-Lowe. Noon-3pm ) on WUSB out of Stonybrook , Univ. way back when before I came to Japan in 1985 . 12 noon to 3 reggae music play ...it play it play !

I taped a lot of shows so have a nice mix here with me in Japan albeit on cassette tape .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation