[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hong Kong Inn-Ventura,Ca
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hong Kong Inn-Ventura,Ca
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-10-25 10:35 pm   Permalink

After the Primer Nationals Mrs.Fury and I went to the Hong Kong Inn for the Polynesian Revue. We had not been to the restaurant for quite a while as we found the food average but remembered the flaming Volcano Bowl was good. This time we just had appetizers (Potstickers and Foil Chicken were good, eggrolls were bad and greasy) and drinks.

Established in 1964

The Scorpion was not great.....had a heavy cherry flavor....

Lapu Lapu was worse.....heavy on coconut flavor.....

Drink prices reasonable.....but I think the bartender makes up his own recipes. Will have to return for Mai Tais etc.

Well........it ain't the Mai Kai but it's better than nothing. The Polynesian Revue started out as cheesy as a Don Ho show, a couple of pop songs then some beautifully sung Hawaiian songs. The singers were from Tonga and Samoa. The dancers were pretty good, especially the kids (8-10 years old). The show lasted about an hour and a half, no cover except drinks are 20% higher during the show. They had 3 or 4 carved Tikis near the stage. Not many people there. No tipsy factor......typical Chinese decor. The stage is in the bar and is separated from the restaurant by a plastic folding curtain that they open for the show (9:00pm). We had a good time......felt like a couple of tourists.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 11:11 pm   Permalink

I have not seen the show, but I will stop by every now and then on my way back to the "Goodland" from Los Angeles. I have had the owner make drinks for me and the have been pretty good. It's not Tiki Ti, but I dig the retro feel. It reminds me of the first Chinese restaurant that I ever ate in, hence the foil chicken and greasy egg rolls.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 11:48 pm   Permalink

Eesh...that Lapu Lapu looks like some kinda wierd New England Clam Chowder. Bottoms up!!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 12:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-26 23:48, donhonyc wrote:
Eesh...that Lapu Lapu looks like some kinda wierd New England Clam Chowder. Bottoms up!!

aaah yes. nuthin like an exotic drink made by someone who cares not for the classic recipes, served in an old OOA bowl, graced with plastic orchids...
whaddya gonna do?!

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-10-27 2:52 pm   Permalink

At least the Polynesian Revue had real Polynesians and some drinks do come in Tiki mugs/bowls. We liked the show. I think the Clam Chowder look was the coconut froth. Not much Tiki between Santa Barbara and L.A.-KT stop by sometime on your way back to the Goodland.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-27 14:52, bongofury wrote: Not much Tiki between Santa Barbara and L.A.-KT stop by sometime on your way back to the Goodland.

well, there is some in Ventura, and parts south and along PCH before L.A. proper, but it is hidden.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-10-27 3:10 pm   Permalink

Hey Bongofury! Those look like blacklights over the stage. It's hard to tell in the photo, but are those Hula dancers wearing flourescent orange?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-10-27 3:28 pm   Permalink

Yes! They also had lime green and changed costumes for almost every dance.

lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-28 12:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-27 15:10, Hakalugi wrote:
Hey Bongofury! Those look like blacklights over the stage.

As I recall, those are flourescent tube lights with semi-clear blue plastic covering them...

WooHooWahine

Posted: 2007-07-08 11:36 am   Permalink

Soccer Tiki and I decided to take a detour on our way home from Monterey and stay in Ventura for the night. We saw that the Hong Kong Inn was listed in Tiki Road Trip (pg.33) so we decided to give it a try. Little did we know what we had in store for us: Great Food served the Traditional Chinese Style, a Cocktail Menu Full of Classic Tiki Drinks,Great Service, and one of the Best Polynesian Shows that I have ever seen. What a Treat!!! The owners James Kwan and Thomas Kwan went out of their way to make our visit tiki-rrific. If you are ever in the area on a Friday or Saturday Night this is a MUST STOP!! The show starts at 9:00pm and lasts about a 1 1/2 hours. Here's some pics of our night:

Old School Ceramic Clam Shell Bowls are used to serve drinks in

The Mai Tai came with Floating Plastic Orchids in a Cool Chinese Dragon Glass (Which are available for purchase)

The Polynesian Show is put on by Tina's Ports of Paradise. Tina along with her husband playing the drums, and her son playing the Tahitian Drum are accompanied by about 20 dancers that take you on a journey through the South Pacific. The show was spectacular. The Vainuku Ohana treated us like we were part of their Ohana.

The Kong Kong Inn is located at: 435 E. Thomas Blvd, Ventura
Phone # (805)648-3161

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-07-08 12:50 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 3:09 pm   Permalink

Kitschy and wonderful.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 6:33 pm   Permalink

The sign viewed at night.

An article from 1972 with the history back to 1964 - oldest Chinese restaurant in Ventura County.

Some entertainment from back in the day.

Look forward to John-O's field trip in March.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 09:51 am   Permalink

The Hong Kong Inn is closing it's doors for good on Nov 30th

The owners are retiring.

End of an era. Sorry to ruin your Monday.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 3:17 pm   Permalink

Ugh! Should've gone there on my trip!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 3:55 pm   Permalink

Farewell message at this link...

Hong Kong Inn

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation