FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hong Kong Inn-Ventura,Ca
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hong Kong Inn-Ventura,Ca
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 7:31 pm   Permalink

The message from the link on the previous page.

"Hong Kong Inn
Chinese Restaurant - Since 1964

After 48 wonderful years, 100,000 Scorpions and Mai Tais, 3,600 Polynesian revues, 10 children, and 15 grandchildren, the Hong Kong Inn of Ventura will be closing its doors on November 30, 2012.

Were retiring!

Jimmy and Carrie Kwan and Tommy and Connie Kwan, along with the entire Kwan family, would like to thank their employees, customers and friends, and the Ventura community for their support and patronage. Hong Kong Inn started as the immigrant dreams of two brothers and grew into generations of happiness, friendships, triumphs and indelible memories.

Thank you.

Hong Kong Inn
435 East Thompson Blvd.
Ventura, CA 93001
(805) 648-3161"

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 8:00 pm   Permalink

I guess none of the kids want to run it now?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-26 20:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Bummer.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 8:11 pm   Permalink

So sorry to hear! CeCe and I are heading up tomorrow- gotta have them ono grinds and bad drinks one mo time.
T Y, King B, B B, mahalo for the heads up
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-11-26 20:14 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-26 9:17 pm   Permalink

Bummer indeed. I'm really glad John-O organized the trip up there this past March. Those are some great memories to hang on to.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 9:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-26 20:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Sorry ATP, I grew up with enough Chinese American kids to know that ain't gonna happen. In fact the HKI owners' niece and nephew are close friends of mine who "slaved" in the 3rd sibling's Chinese restaurant back in Massachusetts.

Trust me, kids who had to work for free in the family business and then were expected to get straight A's just so they could attend a good university ain't gonna go back to serving chop suey. The real happy ending would be if the Chinese immigrant or Mexican bus boy who stuck it out to become manager bought the place out. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Tommy, take the money and run !! You deserve it.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-28 9:22 pm   Permalink

My better half wanted to visit the HKI one mo time . On Tue.s we had a drink in the bar, had their delicious grinds in the dining room and reminisced about the wonderful time we had with fellow TC'ers (thanx John-o) last time we were there. Had more very good ( I take back my negative comments about their drinks) tropical drinks in the bar afterwards and we had a delightful conversation with Jimmy Kwan,owner of HKI. Nice,nice gentleman.Very interesting. When Jimmy left for the evening his brother Tommy took over bar-tending duties.Tommy also regaled us with some interesting and amusing stories. Turns out Tommy is a Viet Nam vet. My hat's off to him. We closed the place and walked (sorta) back to the Crowne Plaza . Next day we went back for lunch and of course another yummy "Chinese Itch" Btw, anyone have the recipe?
We sadly bade farewell to these two amazing gentlemen-but not before wishing them the best in the next chapter of their lives.
Two mores day's until the HKI will be no more. Open for lunch and dinner tomorrow and Friday-get there if you can.
Cheers
PS unfortunately there is no Polynesian review on Fri.
Jimmy Kwan at work.

Tommy Kwan and HIs other half. Regretfully, I did not get her name-Chime in if you know it John-0. She's a lovely lady.

This is the bar in ambient light using a tripod and "enhanced" on my Mac..

This is the Pi-Yi,made famous by John-0's bus ride to the HKI with those crazy TC'er's. We were enhanced and needed a tripod the previous night.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 5:37 pm   Permalink

So, this Friday is the last day. Mrs. Dustycajun and I are heading down after work for one lat Pi-Yi and eggroll happy hour. Anybody from the 805 up for a meet and greet around 5:30?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-29 17:37, Dustycajun wrote:
So, this Friday is the last day. Mrs. Dustycajun and I are heading down after work for one lat Pi-Yi and eggroll happy hour. Anybody from the 805 up for a meet and greet around 5:30?

DC

I know I'll be there. Just not sure what time.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 1:10 pm   Permalink

Well, we made it to the Hong Kong Inn for the last night on Friday. The place was crowded with guests coming to say good bye, including Mr. and Mrs. Bongo Fury.

Mr. Jimmy behind the bar one more time after 58 years of mixing.

Got to talk to Jimmy for a few minutes, he shared stories of moving to Ventura in 1958, starting the restaurant and sending all of his children through college.

Tried the Scorpion bowl.

And the Lapu Lapu with the Hong Kong Inn Fantasy appetizer special

Grabbed a few keepsakes.

End of an era.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-12-03 13:10 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 5:32 pm   Permalink

Dusty, I asked Jimmy what he put into the Scorpion (he said"rum.whiskey, and gin"). I tried it and I liked it.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-12-03 17:35 ]

Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 1:57 pm   Permalink

I was driving by the Hong Kong Inn about a week or 2 ago, and it was all lit up with a big sign that said "Reopening Soon"!!!!

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 5:46 pm   Permalink

T295, My friend in Ventura nosed around the HKI and hes of the opinion that the opening of the restaurant is at least 8 months away. Wish it was sooner.
Cheers
Btw, there is a strong feeling among those he spoke with that the dance troupe would be returning.

MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 8:11 pm   Permalink

On March 15, VCS (Ventura County Star) Eats posted:

Hong Kong Inn has reopened under new management in Downtown Ventura, bringing back the flaming cocktails, the red wall phone and the Tinas Ports of Paradise Polynesian Dance Production revues (at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays) from the old, pre iPhone days.
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/mar/15/cafe-society-so-long-eric-ericssons-and-thanks/

There's a photo on the VCS Facebook page too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151935355891561

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 8:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-23 20:11, MauiRose wrote:
On March 15, VCS (Ventura County Star) Eats posted:

Hong Kong Inn has reopened under new management in Downtown Ventura, bringing back the flaming cocktails, the red wall phone and the Tinas Ports of Paradise Polynesian Dance Production revues (at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays) from the old, pre iPhone days.
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/mar/15/cafe-society-so-long-eric-ericssons-and-thanks/

Excellent news.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation