FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Ragin' Rarotongan's signiture Tilapia recipe
The Ragin' Rarotongan's signiture Tilapia recipe
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-31 12:35 pm   Permalink

Start with 1 Tilapia fillet per person
Juice of 1 orange or tangerine
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
freshly grated ginger(about 1/2 to 3/4 of 1 root.
soy sauce(about 1-2 oz)
sesame oil(about 1-2 oz)
honey(liberal amount)
dried parsley(maybe 1tbsp or so)
salt and pepper
1 bermuda(purple onion) cut into bite size pieces
mandarin orange segments

1)oil the fish up with sesame oil and salt and pepper the fillets
2) in a bowl mix all citrus juices, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, parsley, and honey
3) place fillets in a glass pyrex dish along with mandarin oranges and bermuda onions
4) cover with cirus/ginger marinade and bake in a 350-375 degree oven until fish is cooked through roughly 30-45 minutes

You can serve with your favorite rice and grilled vegetables.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 06:59 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention to also add some of the grated zest from the peels off the citrus fruits to the marinade as well, before pouring over the fish. You can also add minced garlic as well if you would like, which I usually do.

Aaron

"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 11:23 am   Permalink

That sounds delicious! Have you ever tried the marinade with other meats, vegetables, etc.?
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 1:11 pm   Permalink

Looks like a good marinade for chicken or pork,also.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-07 9:21 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the slow response guys, I just bought a house in Ocala, and have been packing alot and haven't hads time to check in TC. No I haven't tried with any other meat, I love to cook, and made this recipe up one night while trying to figure out what to do with tilapia other than the typical lemon and butter. I imagine it would be good on chicken or some nice lean pork, I will have to try it. Freakbear, when I get settled I want to try that fish roll recipe you posted.

Aaron

FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 1:45 pm   Permalink

Hey Ragin',

Try Old-Bay! It's a sort of all-in-one seasoning I've found that's great on tilapia. It's got a lot of the staple Carribean spices (Allspice, Thyme, etc.) in it.

Best of luck on the move!
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation