Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Demarara Sugar
Demarara Sugar
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 4:04 pm   Permalink

I had seen Turbanado sugar and Sugar in the Raw and others and like them much better. I figured they were essentially brown sugar, but was not sure. Now I see Demarara sugar at the market! I had to get it to use as the brown sugar for my drinks tonight, but is that right? It all makes a bit of sense. Demarara rum is made using Demarara sugar?

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-02 5:29 pm   Permalink

Where did you find Demarara sugar?

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2004-11-02 5:57 pm   Permalink

Did a little investi-vigating...Demerara sugar is actually from the island of Mauritius, off the southeastern coast of Africa, though it did originate in Guyana.
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodview.asp?cat=&subcat=&prod=550&source=pepperjam&OVRAW=demerara%20sugar&OVKEY=demerara%20sugar&OVMTC=standard
I still am curious where to buy it. Found several places on-line, but wonder if you can buy it a "regular" brick-and-mortar store.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 7:01 pm   Permalink

Some Williams-Sonoma stores carry Demerara sugar.
If you have any fancy-schmancy "gourmet" shops near you, it's worthwhile to check those out, too.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2004-11-02 7:52 pm   Permalink

Ralph's in SoCal has demerrara sugar in cubes. It's got a good flavor and I use it in some coffee drinks. Cafe au Lait New Orleans style (french roast with chicory) with demerarra sugar and bourbon is real nice.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 8:55 pm   Permalink

This was at Kroger (regular grocery store) where they also carry "Sugar in the Raw" and two types of Turbinado sugar now.

I much prefer sugar in the raw as it has a smoother taste. Less acidic and "chemical-ish" than white sugar. A "softer" sweet.

The Demarara smells just like normal brown sugar, though I did not taste it, just put it in the drink.

I checked the dictionary and Demarara is the principal river in Guyana.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 9:50 pm   Permalink

INFO 1
INFO2

Bottom line, Demerara and Turbinado are close with Demerara being less refined. And they make a liquid sugar from both which means, next time I make sugar syrup, I will try using one of these instead of white sugar.

FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 10:25 pm   Permalink

Turbinado makes a great syrup! I highly recommend it!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2004-11-03 07:58 am   Permalink

Thanks, Swanky. Kroger owns Fred Meyer stores up here in the NW, so I'll give that a try.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 11:35 am   Permalink

Rogers makes a great demerara brown sugar. It's available in Safeway, but because it's a Canadian brand it may not be available in the US. They pretty much have the monopoly up here.

http://www.rogerssugar.com/

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 3:53 pm   Permalink

Demerara sugar is difficult to get over there? Hmmmm. Over here it's at the back of every mother's cupboard. Never was too sure what it was used for, but it always came in handy when we'd run out of normal sugar.

What's the cocktail use?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 4:23 pm   Permalink

Heck, if anyone wants some I'd be willing to send a package over! It's readily available here.

I would think it would be fantastic in hot buttered rum.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 6:05 pm   Permalink

I just noticed it in Ingles in waynesville for the first time last week, when I was looking for cubes for my absinth. At four and some change cost was an issue. That and I don't know how much difference there would be in taste for about $3.50 more.

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation