FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 11:15 am   Permalink

I know that there are different rums for different drinks, but on the whole what would be the one rum you just could not live without. Either a favorite or most used rum.

Thank U, Drive Thru

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Baron von Brimstone

Posted: 2002-09-25 1:38 pm   Permalink

without a doubt...
Rhum Barbancourt
...like liquid sex!

View Profile of Baron von Brimstone Send a personal message to Baron von Brimstone  Goto the website of Baron von Brimstone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-09-25 2:11 pm   Permalink

favorite I have tried: Myers' Legend

favorites I use regularly for cocktails:
Havana Club white (when I can get it),
Appleton Estate VX (for gold rum)

most want to try:
Ron Zacapa Centenario

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 4:34 pm   Permalink

It would depend on what I was making. We go through a lot of Bacardi gold and silver for mixed, bacardi 8 for highballs, Bacardi Solara 1878 or Pyrate for sipping.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki King on 2002-09-25 16:39 ]

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 5:06 pm   Permalink

My favorite rum has got to be the Appleton Estate in the fancy bottle - still haven't had the extra cash to shell out for the Appleton 21 year-old stuff but, it's got to be good.

I used to go through a lot of Bacardi silver and Captain Morgan for making cocktails but ever since I bought the Grog Log and Intoxica that has changed - I am in the process of tracking down the various rums mentioned in the books and plan on recreating the recipes exactly as printed from now on - I just got my special order for Lemon Hart Demarara today...got my eye on the Rhum Barbancourt next!

JohnTiki

Greetings to all from The Pi Yi Lenai in luxurious Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2002-09-25 17:12 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 6:52 pm   Permalink

Lately, I've been digging the Ron Anejo Anniversario Pampero rum. This stuff is hard to get, though.

Someone mentioned Appleton - that's good too. I want to say that Trader Vic used rum from a brand that was eventually absorbed by the Appleton estate, so Appleton seems closest to what Vic used.

Demarara(sp?) is a fave.

Sailor Jerry Rum has that cool Hula Girl on the bottle, so it looks good in the Tiki Bar...

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 7:49 pm   Permalink

Not big on rum, but my favorite island drink would have to be a Scorpion, The Hale Hawaii in Torrance makes the best around.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 8:25 pm   Permalink

My favorite Rum?. The one that comes in a bottle and mixes well with coke. I agree with The Jab, that list is some good stuff.
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2002-09-25 20:39 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-25 10:50 pm   Permalink

If it comes in a plastic bottle, that's great. No, but really I would have to say Habana Club.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-26 01:50 am   Permalink

Cockspur is an excellent golden rum with a mellow flavor that's good enough to drink straight. For dark rum I love the surprisingly inexpensive Saratoga ($10 in Wash.). It's smooth and has a deep, complex, spicy flavor that blends beautifully with tropical juices (Saratoga and pineapple juice is great). If cooking/baking I recommend Meyer's. It stands up to the heat and you can really taste a true rum flavor in whatever it's used in.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ob seagull
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-26 01:57 am   Permalink

very nice poll. quite fitting for the myriad of tropical drinks that rum is the staple.

myers for the drinks
goslings for sipping
brother's overproof for getting crazy (plus it is only 4 bones/750 ml in BVI)

pusser's for ....what else... painkillers to nurse that tropical hangover

j

View Profile of ob seagull Send a personal message to ob seagull      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theandrewssister
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-26 04:14 am   Permalink

Koko Kanu coconut rum. Straight up, straight from the freezer (purists will no doubt heave at the very thought). I don't normally have a sweet tooth, but this stuff is nectar. I used to have to buy crates of it from the importers (Wray & Nephew) but you can buy it in a couple of places in London now. Otherwise - the Havana Club (3yo if I can get it) is what goes in my Mojito Royales.

View Profile of theandrewssister Send a personal message to theandrewssister  Email theandrewssister     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-26 07:43 am   Permalink

I dunno...call me a purist, but to me there's sipping rum and mixing rum....And I wouldn't waste a good, say, Appleton Estate in a Scorpion Bowl...If I had a lifetime supply of one rum....it's probably be Myer's Dark...To me it goes best with Coke, Fruit juices...Hot Buttered Rum...Toddies...desserts, etc....Grey

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-26 08:44 am   Permalink

Woofmut recomended Saratoga, another great inexpensive rum is Old Mill $9.99. I see it in Grocery stores.
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-09-26 10:46 am   Permalink

Sipping: Pyrat XO, Cruzan Single Barrel Estate, Barbancourt Aged.
I actually thought the Appleton 21 year was a little harsh and a pinch overrated when I tried it in the islands. The Havana Club 7 is pretty good as well.

Mixer: Nothing wrong with Bacardi, but if you were at my party, you saw that I pour the good stuff when called for. (Lemon Hart regular and 151, Rhum St. James, Appleton Estate, etc.)

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation