FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving What's your favorite carving wood?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What's your favorite carving wood?
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-07 08:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-05 11:04, finkdaddy wrote:
I've only used pine, but I remember seeing a duck that was carved from applewood and it was very pretty. The coolest piece I've every seen was a huge camel carved from a solid piece of wood imported from Morocco. I don't remember the name, but I know it's closely related to cedar and has that very wonderful cedar smell. The wood is very hard and has a gorgeous, swirly, tight grain that looks almost shimmery and three-dimensional. I will try to find out the name and pass it along. I would love to see a Benzart piece carved from it!

I found out what type of wood that is. It's called Thuya. It is far and away the most beutiful wood I've ever seen. I hope someone can find a piece for carving.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-07 10:10 pm   Permalink

I saw the trunk of Valley Oak today along I-5 near a ford dealer in Red Bluff. (the tree had been cut and the largest piece left)

The piece was about 4 feet tall and at least 33 inches wide....just sitting there waiting for someone to free the tiki inside it.

Unfortunalty it wasn't the self loading oak I hoped it would be, so it's still there.

On the tpoic of palms, I have some plates made of Coconut palm, and they're really nice...much harder than I would have thought.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 07:34 am   Permalink

I don't think I can say I have a Favorite carving wood. I love Mahogany for it's ease of carving but it is not great for fine detail. I love Cherry and Maple for it's ability to hold very fine detail, but they are both very hard and difficult to carve. I love palms for big, fast tikis, but not for fine detail and also they usually contain a lot of silica which chews up your chisels. Redwood is beautiful and fast to carve but difficult to get fine detail with and sanding is very messy.
It depends on what you are going to carve as to what wood you choose and what you call your favorite.
I guess if I HAD to name a favorite it would be Mahogany for its beauty, reputation and ease of carving.
There...

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 10:23 pm   Permalink

Bump for the newer guys & gals... with an add...

Quote:

On 2005-07-21 21:57, 8FT Tiki wrote:
UPDATE: Well after completing the first sycamore project which became the big green Pisco bottle dude, I can whole heartedly recommend this tree to you as a good carving wood.
It is very heavy but I like it because it doesn't splinter much and the cracking was not bad either. The grain is smooth and it is a very light color which would accept stains well. ...

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 11:00 am   Permalink

My fav wood is a specail wood.... Free
"If it is free it is for me!"

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation