FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Worst Experience Being in a Band?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Worst Experience Being in a Band?
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-09 10:43, FreakBear wrote:
In my experience, drummers have contributed greatly to the demise of every band endeavor.

....especially when they die from choking on someone else's vomit.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 11:47 am   Permalink

Another horrible band moment I had was back in High School. My band was supposed to play for the Junior Prom, but at the last minute they decided to go with a DJ. Since we had the night off, my bandmates and I proceeded to get drunk on Rum & Cokes. After a couple hours of getting totally "faced", we get a phone call that the DJ didn't show up and now they wanted us to play after all?!

There we were drunk to the gills and without our equipment. The bassist went to get the van and pick up the PA system while the drummer loaded my drunk arse into his car to help him get his kit (and to try sobering me up). We drove around in the rain with me sticking my head out the window shouting Sammy Hagar & Police songs at the top of my lungs.

By the time we got to the prom, everyone was done with their pictures and waiting for us to start. After a quick set-up we were on our way. The first set was a blur, but we actually ended up pulling it together by the second.

Come to think of it... This may have been my BEST experience being in a band!!!!

P.S. This is not advocating under-age drinking or drinking & driving... We just got away with it alot easier back in the 80's

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-11-09 12:10 pm   Permalink

My worst experience came from my stint playing with Death Mariachi band, "Los Pitocin and The Inducers". To set up the story a bit, what put us in a league above your average Death-Speed-Thrash Mariachi bands was our use of real pig blood during the Virgin Sacrifice re-enactments. We obtained this from a local slaughterhouse but it was only good for a day or two before it started stinking to high heaven. The blood was in sealed drums, so that you didn't always know how fresh it was until you dumped it on the altar.

On this night, as was frustatingly usual, we were unable to find a virgin in the audience to volunteer for the sacrifice, so we chose a rather-attractive mother of three from Escondido.

As we pounded through the climax of "Cielito Lindo", and our stagehand led the "virgin" to the altar, our lead guitarist, Cuervo The Clown, accidentally caught the neck of his electric vihuela in the electric cord controlling the giant spinning Day-of-the-Dead skull. The resulting short caused all the lights in the room to go out, which spooked one of the llamas into knocking over the drum of pig blood, (which turned out to be at least a week old), into the front row of the audience. If that wasn't enough, our roadie accidentally pulled the rope which dropped the net containing the 300 small vampire bats which shouldn't have been released until "Guadalajara". They immediately headed for the blood-soaked shoes and ankles of the fleeing audience.

Needless to say, we were never invited back to The Lawrence Welk Ballroom again.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-09 12:10, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
"Los Pitocin and The Inducers"

Best band name ever!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-09 11:04, cynfulcynner wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-11-09 10:43, FreakBear wrote:
In my experience, drummers have contributed greatly to the demise of every band endeavor.

....especially when they die from choking on someone else's vomit.

My favorite drummers are the ones that just explode

Sabu,
I filled in as a marimba player in a band of that genre. I believe they were called Los Dulces del Cabrio What are the names of some other good Death Mariachi bands?
-FB

[ This Message was edited by: FreakBear on 2004-11-09 13:19 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-09 6:01 pm   Permalink

Back in 1977, I was working in a cemetary over the summer. My boss learned that I played the drums, and was familiar with polka music, so she asked me if I would be willing to drum for her son (who was about 45 years old) who played the concertina.

We practiced once - he was a very mediocre player, and quite a jerk. He announced that he had arranged for us two to play the following Sunday afternoon at an isolated bar outside some small town about 30 miles away. So we go there -- and he insists that I wear one of those red vest things that polka band members always wear.

There were about 6 customers in the bar. We played, they kept on talking - it was all very boring. At one point one of the customers walked over to one side of the bar, plugged the jukebox in, and made his selections. We waited for the song or two to finish, and then started playing some more ... and then the customer put more money in the jukebox. I vaguely remember playing polka music while the jukebox was was playing. I didn't care, as long as I got paid.

Fortunately, the sealed drums contained very fresh pig's blood, so the virgin sacrifice portion of our act still turned out very well.

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-11-09 18:02 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-09 11:58 pm   Permalink

Once I auditioned for an orchestra and had won first chair flute, then from out of nowhere comes some gal from USC who had an "in" and they booted me right out of first chair... down to playing piccolo for one lousy song (I despise the piccolo to this very day.)

During the performance, I couldn't take it any more. After all, they were just going to laugh at me... so; drenched in pig’s blood (though by no means a virgin) I used my psychic abilities to pummel everyone in the theatre.

Ah.... those were the days....

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation