FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Don't miss this like you did "Metrosexual"
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Don't miss this like you did "Metrosexual"
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 8:09 pm   Permalink

Don't you hate not getting cool new jokes and expressions? (Like lamprey jokes?) Here's the UKs rager trend...

CHAV.

It's sort of white trash gangsta, and it seems to be everywhere.
http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Don't miss the chance to drop it in conferance calls and see who squaks.

Have you used it? If so how?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2004-11-08 9:34 pm   Permalink

I hear the term "bling bling" means money. Weird!

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 10:37 pm   Permalink

Bling Bling?
You mad-cap kids

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 10:39 pm   Permalink

So that means "bling bling" isn't a reference for Judy Garland fans to identify each other with a catchphrase?!
As in her song that goes, "Bling, bling, bling went the trolley."

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 11:04 pm   Permalink

Wasn't this the entire premise of the movie whiteboys.

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 11:14 pm   Permalink

White Boy(Z)

Titles that end in Z are as horrid as buisiness' that end in "solutions"

I digress...

The jokey part of this was that it's new there and has a TITLE.

Stuff people do is kooky...but naming it is a scream...dropping the name where it's not expected is friggin art mister.

"Party of two for felchqueen,your table is ready.. flechqueen, party of two"

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 02:02 am   Permalink

Bling is ostentatious jewellery.

'OMG check his bling'

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 03:55 am   Permalink

Someone mailed me 'Chav Top Trumps' the other day , but I think I've deleted it, Damn should have known they'd come in useful some day

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 04:20 am   Permalink

Found them!

http://www.completeshite.com/chav/chavtoptrumps.pdf

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 07:18 am   Permalink

you knows it! like goldie lookin chain!

hey, those of you in the know, how is this pronounced? like "CHAD" with a "V" of more like
"SHAVV?"

does this derive from another word?

i've always been fascinated by british slang...

cheers, j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 07:57 am   Permalink

Chav as in Savv (savvy)

Not sure of the origins but I'll look into it

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 08:10 am   Permalink

Bit long winded but here you go J$;

the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area (Chatham) for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn’t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is quite new to most people.
Other terms for the class also have Romany connections; another is charver, Romany for prostitute. Yet another is the deeply insulting pikey, presumably from the Kentish dialect term for gypsy that was borrowed from turnpike, so a person who travels the roads.
Did chavi die out, only to be reinvented recently? That seems hardly likely from the written and anecdotal evidence; what we’re seeing is a term that has been in active but inconspicuous use for the last 150 years suddenly bursting out into wider popular use in a new sense through circumstances we don’t fully understand.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-11-09 08:10 ]

Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 08:18 am   Permalink

Great sleuthing Kon-Hemsby...British Slang always amuzes me to (Like JohnnyDollar) I think most folks like slang from somplace else...mostly it's amuzing and fun.

One of the more amuzing I've heard in a while is calling a cadet policeman (Not on the force yet but riding along" a "HobbyBobby"

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 08:19 am   Permalink

That's a new one on me.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 08:26 am   Permalink

aye, cheers kon-hemsby!

back before the internet i had to ask around or figure out by context the meaning of slang terms in monty python or other public broadcasting fare...

of course the internet is CHAV!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation