FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Reno Fun Train - 3/4 to 3/6/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Reno Fun Train - 3/4 to 3/6/05
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-09 6:15 pm   Permalink

On Saturday at mrsmiley's party I got some people excited (no not that way) about the Reno Fun Train that runs on weekends in Jan-Mar. I mentioned that the train on Feb. 11th. is a Hawaiian theme so we should see how many people can go on that weekend.

Unfortunately, martiki just informed me that the Hawaiian themed train is sold out.

So, I am starting this topic to provide some info about the Reno Fun Train and perhaps consider some possible dates for a Tiki Central excursion.

The Fun Train leaves Oakland on Friday afternoons arriving in Reno on Friday night. You can bring your own beer, wine, booze, travel bar, food, etc. The waiter brings you cups and all the ice you need, as well as dinner. There is a bar/cafe car, a piano lounge car, and even a dance car with a dance floor, disco lights, and a band called the Funatics! It sounds cheesy but everyone gets well lubricated and it is more fun than it sounds. The train stays in Reno and returns on Sunday morning so you can see the Sierras covered in snow in daylight.

There are a choice of hotels available but the Nugget in Sparks is the obvious choice because Trader Dick's is there. 2005 is the 50th. anniversary of the Nugget so it should be very festive. The Nugget has great food, including the Awful Awful burger, a good steakhouse, and an incredible oyster bar .

The cost is $255 per person (for the Nugget) including RT train, meals on the train, 2 nights lodging, and transportation to your hotel.

We should probably decide and book something as soon as possible, but I'm going to be traveling next week and not back until early December so I doubt I can book something until mid December.

More info:
http://www.keyholidays.com/reno/funtrain/funtrain.html

[ This Message was edited by: thejab on 2004-11-09 18:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: thejab on 2005-02-02 14:13 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 6:31 pm   Permalink

How sad is it that the Hawaiian train is sold out, and none of us made it on?

I can't read your entire post, because my eyes keep catching on OYSTER BAR. I don't get enough oysters. Yes, I'm in. I'm waaaaay in. I've not yet been to Reno, and it's been on my list.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 6:44 pm   Permalink

Across the street from the Nugget is a great micro owned by a paleantologist (sp?)

Very good ales. Icky (named after a local beaste) is nice stuff. They have the best pepper beer I've ever had.

Good thurenger too.

Don't forget the car museum, they have the only known Dimaxian from our boy Bucky.

Also there is a fairly wierd UFO theme restaurant called Miguel's (Mexican) worth stopping at.

If you want some industrial fun, go to Beer Rob's "Beer Makers of America" on Dickerson...it's like a playroom for beer nuts. Great wierd selections on tap...use a taxi..you might not think you need it but you will

Reno is splendid.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-11-10 08:30 am   Permalink

I suggest that we shoot for March 4th- the "50s" themed train. There aren't many rooms at the Nugget left on this package, so we have to decide soon. Who else is interested?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 09:16 am   Permalink

cleen and i are in for sure!!!

does it matter what the overall theme of the train is? if we get enough people involved it will be TIKI themed in one car anyway!

just my 2 cents.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 10:13 am   Permalink

Note that those rates are per person double occupancy, which means single people have to pay twice as much. Who needs a roommate besides me?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-11-10 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-10 09:16, the drunken hat wrote:
cleen and i are in for sure!!!

does it matter what the overall theme of the train is? if we get enough people involved it will be TIKI themed in one car anyway!

just my 2 cents.

I think it is the Jimmy Buffett theme when it is not Hawaiian!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-11-10 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-10 08:30, martiki wrote:
I suggest that we shoot for March 4th- the "50s" themed train. There aren't many rooms at the Nugget left on this package, so we have to decide soon. Who else is interested?

No offense martiki, but I can't stand 50s themes! It really bugs me to see poodle skirts and t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up like Happy Days. For me the Hollywood version of the 50s is like the Jimmy Buffet version of tiki!

Any weekend other than that weekend is better for me. I think we should try and avoid the theme trains and go for the non-theme weekends.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 12:45 pm   Permalink

How about a Tiki St. Patrick's - Mar. 11th

http://www.keyholidays.com/reno/funtrain/funtrain.html

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 4:21 pm   Permalink

Somebody pick a date and we'll see if we can do it. We're very interested.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-11-10 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-10 16:21, Jungle Trader wrote:
Somebody pick a date and we'll see if we can do it. We're very interested.

OK, I'll go along with UB and pick March 11th. for St Patrick's Day. Is that OK with everyone?

tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 4:47 pm   Permalink

celebrating st patrick's day tiki-style in a train to trader dick's? can life GET any better? i'll be deeply torn between celebrating with guinness or cocktails. ahh, the difficult choices in life....

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 4:48 pm   Permalink

March 11 is great for us,....I think. I'll need to check with the Queen.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 7:07 pm   Permalink

looks like cleen and i are in! who else is going?

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-11-11 09:10 am   Permalink

I know 50s themes are crap, I was hoping we could show them the savage side of the decade.

Mar. 11th is good with me. We'll make green Mai Tais!

If there's no other objections, I strongly suggest we start booking today. It's filling fast.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation