FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Chum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Chum?
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-11 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-11 19:44, Johnny Dollar wrote:

Chumease? Now that's a tough language to tackle!

Bloop bloop gurgle gurgle,
Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-11 8:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-11 15:08, MachTiki wrote:

That looks like Chevy Chase singing to a fudgesicle.

Hmmm... 'chum' indeed...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-11-11 8:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-11 19:44, Johnny Dollar wrote:
hakalugi, do chum bags count?

Cool find JD! If I'm not mistaken those particular bags are actually vintage and were made by Squids of Monterey.

As far as being disposable though, that never went over too well. It was quickly learned that the more you reuse your Chum Bag the better it attracts fish and sharks. In fact there is quite a market for used Chum Bags. The trick is to stop using it before it wears out, then that is the time to put it up on display or sell it to a collector on Ebay.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 09:29 am   Permalink

sorry hak, deviatin' here...

the surf heavy metal band from South Bay, California, CHUM!!!

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/CHUM/

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-11-12 10:22 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 10:18 am   Permalink

CHUM, CHUm, CHum, Chum, chum, chuM, chUM, cHUM, CHUM... lovely Chum, wonderful Chum,

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-11-12 11:32 am   Permalink

I guess there are a number of bands that are into the Chum scene.

Here's another. These guys are from West Virginia.

http://www.chumwv.com

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-11-12 11:42 am   Permalink

Here's a favorite recipe. It's called the Squishy Fishy and it is best served in a vintage wooden Chum Bucket.

Squishy Fishy:
Get a sealable container and put in 3 strips of bacon.
Add chunks of different cheeses {limburger and blue work best}.
Throw some live shiners {bait fish} garlic powder a little soy sauce, and what really makes this powerful - a small dead sunfish.
Mix all together as best you can then top off with more garlic powder.
I dump a little vinegar in there to get it to break down quicker.
Many recipes call for the chum to sit in the sun but I found that a very humid warm place will work. I bury the container a foot under ground for about a week, but letting it sit in a basement or shed will work too. When the chum is ripe, cover your nose and pour the liquid into the chum bucket. Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-11-12 11:48 ]

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-12 12:27 pm   Permalink

Hakalugi,

Intriguing recipe! What do you think about the pre-mixed "Chad The Castmaster" menhaden oils? I don't know if fish can really tell the difference between the home-cured blood and the pre-packaged stuff. Any comments?

FYI - Chad The Castmaster has a new line of pre-mixed Saltwater "Crave Gravy". I know the purist will want to mix his/her own, but for a last-minute chum-junket, these really fill the bill for me. They come in Squid, Anchovey, Shrimp, and Natural:

Didn't I meet you at the Penn Reels "Meatshow" last November? Man! That was a debauched weekend! I've still got 30 pounds of frozen halibut fillets in my freezer that I have NO IDEA where they came from.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-11-12 12:45 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 5:41 pm   Permalink

A recent makeover recipient on the hit television program, "Queer Eye for the Chum Guy" has opened his own Chum Bar! Don't let the fishnet shirt put you off, his whelks are out of this world! His secret recipe for jellied eels has been widely copied, but never duplicated. The decor of the establishment embodies the Chum atmosphere with strategically placed chum buckets, and is aglow at night with hanging lighted vintage buckets. Weekly specials include Minnow Monday Nights (all the minnow chum you can eat for $6.00!) and Whelk Wednesdays - served in a take-home chum bag!

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 5:50 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-12 12:27, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

FYI - Chad The Castmaster has a new line of pre-mixed Saltwater "Crave Gravy". I know the purist will want to mix his/her own, but for a last-minute chum-junket, these really fill the bill for me.

You know, I picked up a 1982 copy of Chad's Chumtending and Recipe Guide and the recipe for mixing your own crave gravy has all sorts of fish parts you can't even get here in the states. I looked into it, and the company that made the blood mix that he used in the original recipe stopped making blood mix seven years ago. And so far, I can't even find sweetfish livers in any kind of quantity suitable for making a full batch.

So now he recommends everyone just buy his premixed stuff?!? WTF?

Does anybody know where I can find an original recipe for the Fin Fish Blood Mix that Kamato of Japan used to sell? I'm hoping to mix my own at home.

Achum

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 8:19 pm   Permalink

Chum Chuminy, Chum Chuminy, Chum Chum Charoo

I used to love hearing that tune from Mary Poppins!!!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-14 05:43 am   Permalink

Oh my god, I grew up listening to the Chum 30! How sad is that. I even had a special 1050 Chum member card. Kind of like the secret decoder ring for teenyboppers. If they called out your number on the air, you could win something. My brother won tickets to the Rolling Stones movie 'Lets Spend The Night Together'. But we were too young to go alone so my dad took us!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-11-16 12:03 pm   Permalink

Hey Ku Ku, I feel your pain. You're right, It's getting hard to find the right ingredients for quality Chum. I have had some luck on Ebay, You can also email the people at http://www.fishparts.com , sometimes they can come through. Last time I needed some atlantic Mackeral livers they were more than helpful. I'll keep my eyes open for that Fish Fin Blood Mix recipe. If it came from Kamato Of Japan, you know it's got to be good!

And ZebraTiki, that Chum Bar is the coolest! And you're right, Chummy's whelks are the best. As far as decor, that is exactly the type of bar I've been striving to build in my garage. Once you've experienced the Chum atmosphere, there's no going back.

Hey Sabu! I have to agree with you regarding home cured blood and the pre-packaged stuff. I don't think the fish can tell the difference. But you know what? I can! The pre-packaged stuff usually is lacking a bit in the flavor of metallic iron. Additionally, who would want to deny themselves the joy of breaking out the fish grinder and crushing up some fresh mackerel. My favorite part is sinking my fingers into the goopy mess to hand mix all of the ingredients. But you are right though, if in a pinch, premixed stuff is an okay substitute.

And yes, I think I did meet you at the Penn Reels "Meatshow"! You were the guy juggling the flaming Chum Buckets in room 335!! That was sooo cool!!!! Here's a newspaper article I dug up regarding that weekend.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-11-16 12:08 ]

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 1:30 pm   Permalink

Hey Hakalugi, any plans to come out with a "Book of Chum" or publish pics of your collection in a "Chum Quest"?

There seems to be a real chum revival going on. It's great to see others with the same interest, although I'm sure the prices of vintage chum buckets on eBay will be going up. I recently scored one with "Don the Surfcaster's Bait Shack" on the bottom for $50 with hardly any rust!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-11-16 13:31 ]

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation