FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Is gifting booze badform?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Is gifting booze badform?
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 1:15 pm   Permalink

Gifting booze is good.

Re-gifting booze is bad.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 1:59 pm   Permalink

If the bottle if thoughtfully chosen and cheerily wrapped,it's great.If it's one of those Baily Irish Creme gift packs with the winking creamer or sugar bowl,it says "We completely forgot about you and had to stop at Osco to find SOMETHING to give you so we don't arrive empty handed."Not just Bailey's,of course,but any of those gifts that contains branded glassware.Who uses that stuff?

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 2:35 pm   Permalink

I love both giving & receiving a bottle as a gift. What makes alcohol great is that it has excellent Joy to Cost ratio. Example: if you spend $20, you can get a worthless trinket piece of crap (think how many Tiki Kleenex box covers you have been given) or you can get a bottle of rum/scotch/vodka/etc.

The trick to gifting booze however, is the single bottle (not the gift pack, makes the bottle seem cheapened) of top shelf or super premium goods... something the receiver wouldn't buy on their own because it's a guilty pleasure (like buying Ketel One for someone who usually buys Five O'Clock brand)

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-11-15 14:36 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 2:38 pm   Permalink

Damn Gigantalope!
You came to the right place for booze knowledge.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 3:10 pm   Permalink

I think we all agree that getting booze is a good thing (especially RUM). I don't even mind if someone gives me a bottle of something that I don't drink. I do question how well they know me - but, it does help line the Tiki bar and you can always find some recipe to use it for.

I also agree about most gift packs (gawd, I hate that winking Bailey's cup!!!). So many companies now are coming out with "aged" or "reserve" versions of everything that it's better to spend the money on those than the junk you usually get in the gift packs.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 3:21 pm   Permalink

Liquor under the Christmas tree? I'll drink to that! The trick is gently guiding your significant others on what you want. Heck, my family all draws up wish lists... so I just get very specific on some of my requests.

There are a lot of crappy liquor gift boxes out there, but there are a few good ones.
I just saw a Rhum Barbancourt gift box with a bottle of 5-star and a couple of rocks glasses for $22 in Washington. I'll take one of those!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 13:59, docwoods wrote:
Not just Bailey's,of course,but any of those gifts that contains branded glassware.Who uses that stuff?

Guilty (in the last 3 days, even)! My excuse - the price of the Matusalem was the same with or without the rocks glasses, plus I needed 'em.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-15 3:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 05:39, tikifish wrote:
I am trying to get my clients (and my boss) to give out booze for Xmas... every year i get useless t-shirts and trinkets, when what would be really aprecaited is a bottle of wine. Even if its not good wine, it can still find some use over the holdiays! There are places where you can get your own label put on a half decent wine, so your company can have its branded wine, and give those as gifts. Please, if you are in charge of your comany'sgift giving this year... give the gift of wine, and say no to Santa Squeezeballs!

amen to that TikiFish. I battle with the owner of this company every year... wine with a private label is wonderful... wine sans label is good. (Sad to say,frisbees and egg shakers are all he's agreed to.)
>:(

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 7:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-14 19:54, ZebraTiki wrote:
That depends on how much alcohol is being given!
I know quite a few people who practically swoon over an aged scotch, and just try to keep them from opening it, sharing, well that's another story. . . . .

I wholeheartedly agree.

It's often best to give one and keep one to open, so as to prevent the vicious arm twisting of the gift recipient doesn't want see his new favorite gift go empty immediately.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 05:39, tikifish wrote:
... give the gift of wine, and say no to Santa Squeezeballs!

Where's Tiki Bong when you really need him???

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 15:10, MachTiki wrote:
I also agree about most gift packs (gawd, I hate that winking Bailey's cup!!!).

I'm surprised we haven't discussed those infernal Bailey's cups in this thread:
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8104&forum=6

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 08:34 am   Permalink

Not to be a partyrekker, (although I guess it's my party to wreck) but I like those winking cups...Baily's on the other hand strikes me as being too close to pepto to be fun.

The cups are perfect for projects and defacing...buccaneer face, 5:00 shadow,blood,paint some stiches across the eye...then epoxy somplace it should not be. ( co-worked desk, park bench, police car...)

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 13:59, docwoods wrote:
If the bottle if thoughtfully chosen and cheerily wrapped,it's great.If it's one of those Baily Irish Creme gift packs with the winking creamer or sugar bowl,it says "We completely forgot about you and had to stop at Osco to find SOMETHING to give you so we don't arrive empty handed."Not just Bailey's,of course,but any of those gifts that contains branded glassware.Who uses that stuff?

I, as well, am gulity of this. Bacardi puts out some tasteful liscensed glassware (basic rocks or old fashioned glass) in their giftpacks and there's little to no markup for the extra stuff.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation