FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Your top 15 Tiki songs...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Your top 15 Tiki songs...
dreadpyrat

Posted: 2004-11-15 10:43 am   Permalink

If you had to make a CD with say 15 songs...the ULTIMATE tiki CD...what songs would it feature? Lets leave out the usual party faire like Monster Mash and Tiny Bubbles. But do consider that the songs should be commercially available to and easily attainable. I'd like to make this ultimate CD as a gift for my wife! In my mind, these songs evoke the mood of the islands..exotic, mysterious, upbeat, and most of all: fun!

So, lets compile a list!

[ This Message was edited by: dreadpyrat on 2004-11-15 10:44 ]

View Profile of dreadpyrat Send a personal message to dreadpyrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 1:38 pm   Permalink

At the top of my list I would put Les Baxter's "Quiet Village". The problem is which version to choose- it has been done many times. Les Baxter's version (the one I have- he probably did more than one) has strings in it. Martin Denny did a great version with less orchestration. Arthur Lyman did a great version as well.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 6:58 pm   Permalink

Baxter's original rendition of Quiet Village is nice but in my opinion Martin Denny's version complete w/bird calls, etc. is the best! I've found that Denny's Quiet Village is actually one of those tunes that makes you want to reach for the volume and jack it up - which I'm not really inclined to do with a lot of other exotica!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-17 03:54 am   Permalink

Oh man...do they have to be easily obtainable??!! That elimates a lot of the GREAT stuff.....Haha. So, you're looking for things already available on CD then?
I'd have to say #1..Jungle Madness by Martin Denny. to me, one of the ULTIMATE tiki songs...great wordless chorus, drums, dark, mysterious. #2 from the Chaino compilation CD would be Jungle Chase..drums, a male & female grunting and panting..it's crazy. #3 from Arthur Lyman's "Pearly Shells" CD, Poinciana..I think his best number..fast tempo, bird calls, a great haunting tune. #4..from Eden Ahbez's Eden's Island CD "The Old Boat"..mystic tune with a creaking boat effect. I also like "Chant Of The Moon" from Robert Drasnin's Voodoo CD..love the ooohhing female vocal.
Plenty of others, but are rather obscure CDS and we're not even TOUCHING the LPs that haven't been reissued. (Exotic Night by The Surfmen and S'Pacifica by Johnny Spencer & The Kona Koasters being two of the best, I think. )

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 6:31 pm   Permalink

The entire soundtrack of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

MAN that thing is TIKI NIRVANA.

The Hawaiian War Chant was the closest thing my grandparents' generation got to real Rock N Roll, and right there in the drums and chant, you've got the 1960's version of Rap music.

It's all there, the one music that honored the past and pointed straight at the future. It is without a doubt, UBER-Tiki.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 8:00 pm   Permalink

Norman Luboff Choir Bamboo-Tamboo:
Technically this is Calypso but give it go! It's everything you'd expect from a great Exotica song if not more.

Duke Kamoku Pagan Love Song:
Happy island tune! A classic!

Hawaiian War Chant! There are several awsome versions of this song, each one great in it's own right!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-05 1:06 pm   Permalink

Watusi Zombie would be #1 Hands down!!! If you don't know this song, log onto www.stonetigerrecords.com click on Jan Davis-Boss Guitar and don't get hurt by the spears flying outa yer computer!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-05 1:08 pm   Permalink

House of Bamboo by Southern Culture on the Skids would be #2.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matthieu Oxbow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-07 08:27 am   Permalink

Tak Shindo's Bali Hai has to be on it.

View Profile of Matthieu Oxbow Send a personal message to Matthieu Oxbow  Goto the website of Matthieu Oxbow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-17 8:39 pm   Permalink

The Boy from Ipanema by Peggy Lee

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-18 10:09 am   Permalink

There's also a "Boy from Ipanema" by Peggy Lee AND Diana Krall, singing as a duo. Hot beyond belief.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 07:19 am   Permalink

Not to be homophobic or anything, but I like the "girl from Ipanema" better.

Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 08:54 am   Permalink

"Yellow Bird" by Arthur Lyman
"Tiki" by Gene Rains
"Chant to the Moon" Robert Drasnin
"Bahia" Arthur Lyman
"Quiet Village" Martin Denny
and of course some Les Baxter

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-08 10:28 am   Permalink

If they HAVE to be commercially available...my absolute favorites would be
1. Jungle Madness/Martin Denny (Personally, the best exotica number EVER recorded)
2. The Old Boat/Eden Abahz (sp) (Actually all the instrumentals from Eden's Island are good)

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-17 7:28 pm   Permalink

Endlessly - Sonny Chillingworth
Taboo - Arthur Lyman
Xtabay - Yma Sumac
Quiet Village - Les Baxter
Sleepwalk - The Smokin' Menehunes
My Little Grass Shack - I Bella Di Waikiki
Aloha O'e - Gabby Pahinui
Eden's Cove - Eden Abbez
Hypnotique - Martin Denny
Hula O' Makee - Gabby Pahanui
Destination Oasis - Clouseaux
I Hear Hawaii Calling - Axel Stordahl
Miserlou - Arthur Lyman
Quiet Village - The Fisherman
Scimitar - Martin Denny

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation