FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Shag With a Twist
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Shag With a Twist
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 4:26 pm   Permalink

Who is going on Saturday the 26th? It would be fun to know who will be there that night!

XOXO Baby Doe

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-18 4:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-18 16:26, babydoe wrote:
Who is going on Saturday the 26th? It would be fun to know who will be there that night!

XOXO Baby Doe

I'll be going tonite and hope to be there on the 26th. Anyone else going tonite?

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-19 9:16 pm   Permalink

I attended the opening of "Shag with a Twist" last night.

I am going to be uncharacteristically blunt. I am not a Shag groupie. I like his work. However, when I first heard of the concept I thought, "That's f*cked up, Y'all!" But I must admit it was the most enjoyable theatrical experience I've had since I worked in "The Theater" on Broadway in NYC.

The show is essentially a ballet (with elements of opera). The professionalism of the performers was impressive-a refreshing change from most of the amateur dreck associated with current local live entertainment. I was most impressed by the dancing-think "Ready, Steady Go!" with great choreography.

FREE DRINKS! The after Dance Party feature good food, music courtesy of Senor Amor and free drinks (though I wish they had vermouth for the Grey Goose Shag-A-Tinis. Oh, my head!) Unlike most opening night parties folks actually seemed to be having a good time. Many were well dressed, the most stylish being our own Mrs and Bamboo Ben.

Did I mention FREE DRINKS?

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-20 9:55 pm   Permalink

Go!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-03-24 12:36 pm   Permalink

Everything's cleared up now! Please everyone, post your reviews here!

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 1:26 pm   Permalink

Dale and I will be there this Sat.
Anyone else?
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 1:37 pm   Permalink

Me will be, sans Naomi who is vending at VLV.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 8:01 pm   Permalink

I'll be there, looking forward to seeing everyone...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 01:28 am   Permalink

We'll be there...the Shag show will be the last stop on a whirlwind tour of the area for us. Driving up from San Diego on Saturday morning. First stop, Oceanic Arts. Then, lunch at Bahooka. Then, up to Pasadena to check out Mark Ryden's Wondertoonel Exhibit. Then, off to Hollywood...La Luz/Wacko, Amoeba, and of course Tiki Ti for a quick Ray's Mistake. Finally, downtown to the S.W.A.T. show. Driving back to SD that night. It should be a long and fantastic day! Hopefully we'll see some TC people somewhere along the line.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 09:18 am   Permalink

Trustar and littlesusan will be in attendance. First stop, Tiki-Ti.

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 10:33 am   Permalink

i've not hung in down town for sometime... where's the place to grub??? simi nice,simi close... whatever....

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 11:24 am   Permalink

Hey Al - Here's a list of places on the SWAT website: http://www.shagwithatwist.com/downtown.php

See ya tonite

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 1:36 pm   Permalink

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMMAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!

that's one swingin' show. Imagine a live action shag painting...and here it is!

Go see it!!!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 1:53 pm   Permalink

Saw the show last night. It was the Tiki News event. Thanks to Otto Von Stroheim for his amazing newsletter that keeps us informed. All that I can say is that I felt as though I had been let in on an incredible opportunity to see something in earlier stages before it becomes a world wide megahit in both stage and, I truly believe film. Kudos to the director and the design team to take Shags two dimensions and turn them into absolute perfection. The costumes, the stage, the music, the story was fantastic. I'd wish it was an ongoing series, so I could do it over and over. I still will do it again. Everyone who loves - shag/lounge/tiki/50's/60/s should be ready for the treat of the year and maybe more years to come. Thanks to Shag for his endearing talent to create such simplistic yet storytelling images. I'm really proud of all those involved (including the superb cast) I can't say more. its just @$##%@ awesome. Buy the Soundtrack CD, wow I sound like I work for them! I don't ( but I wish I did!)

[ This Message was edited by: jpmartdog on 2005-03-27 13:57 ]

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 12:15 am   Permalink

The show was enjoyable and visually dynamic. The proximity of the stage to every seat made it even more personalized. I enjoyed "the coroner" the most but that's all I'm going to say. Asides from the fact that I dug the heck out of it, it was great seeing my friend Piet Agle and seeing photos of his daughter. Okay, I know it's sappy, but I'm appreciating more the simple things and less the hectic "trenches o' Tiki commerce" things these days. It was nice to get out with Benno & Laura... working a lot these days ya know.
Sappily yours,
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation