FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Shag With a Twist
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Shag With a Twist
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 01:36 am   Permalink

Damn, Holden, if I'd known you'd be there....that might have gotten me off my A.
As it was, it was so firmly planted at the Tiki Ti, it didn't wanna move:

For the first time ever, my Buick found the spot right in front of the door, I could see it from where I was sitting thru the open door. It was just too cozy, sitting right at the bar, in the middle, left of me my pals Kevin and Jody, and to my right lovely Humuhumu and her girlfriend from Seattle. Who could part from such company?
The Lapu Lapu/Missionairy's Downfall/Stealth also had something to do with the fact that, to my great regret, I did not make it to this performance.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 11:26 am   Permalink

The Tiki News night at Shag with a Twist was so much fun. We were thrilled that we were able to offer the discount for the evening and everything turned out so well.

The show was entertaining - I LOVED the go go dancers the best. I am now obsessed with getting pointy bras for The Devil-Ettes! I agree with other posts that you do not need to be a SHAG fan to enjoy the show – it really had so many amazing elements to it (tiki, go go, mystery...). I only hope they bring it to SF at some point.

For those going to a future show. They now have two bars: martini bar and a tiki bar. They also have a few food options as well as a café. Of course, if you are a big SHAG fan you should bring some money to purchase a t-shirt from the show. They have quite a few options... I forgot to check out how much they were though.

As for places to eat downtown I would like to recommend Clifton’s Cafeteria. Ok, this is not a fancy place (it is a cafeteria) but it is such an experience for those that like old-school style eating.
http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com

XOXO Baby Doe

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-29 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-28 01:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
Damn, Holden, if I'd known you'd be there....that might have gotten me off my A.
As it was, it was so firmly planted at the Tiki Ti, it didn't wanna move:

Hey Sven, we were wondering where you were that evening! Oh well, I guess you've already seen the show, but it was even more fun with the Tiki News night happening. I was very impressed by the show and especially the flawless choreography and dancing. I agree with Baby Doe. I think all go-go dancers should have extra pointy bras!

It must be really great for Shag to experience having his two-dimensional visions come to life in such a grand manner. Did I mention the music was really great too? Well it was.

I tried the "Celestial Martini" made with plum wine at the martini bar . A bit sweet, but it did match what I was wearing (and isn't that the really important thing?!)

Anyway, like Bamboo Ben already said, "Go!"

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cindy

Posted: 2005-04-11 11:04 pm   Permalink

This is Cindy, director of Shag With a Twist. I would like to invite Tiki Central members to the show for $10 off, and a free drink at the tiki bar. Just call
888-515-SHAG and mention Tiki Central. If you haven't heard about us, please check us out at
www.shagwithatwist.com I hope to see you there.

View Profile of Cindy Send a personal message to Cindy  Goto the website of Cindy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 12:02 am   Permalink

I chatted with Cindy earlier in an email and when she told me about the Tiki Central discount I asked her to post here. I want to thank her and the entire production for offering a discount to some of Shag's biggest fans. Mahalo!

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 01:38 am   Permalink

also - check out the 1/2 off tickets offer on Lotta Living for specific dates...
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3284

Your Ultra Style Guide for Modern Living!

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2005-04-12 01:39 ]

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-13 11:06 am   Permalink

I live in Ft Lauderdale, but am considering flying out to CA sometime to see this show. How long is it running for? (Or was that posted already, and I missed it? sorry if that's the case! lol!)

I would like to book a flight out there and see it sometime!

It looks faboo!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-13 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-13 11:06, Tikilicious wrote:
I live in Ft Lauderdale, but am considering flying out to CA sometime to see this show. How long is it running for? (Or was that posted already, and I missed it? sorry if that's the case! lol!)

I would like to book a flight out there and see it sometime!

It looks faboo!

It is a great show! What a trip it would be: Tiki Ti, Bahooka, Sam's, Lucky Tiki, etc and the SWAT show. Last I checked it runs until June 11.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cindy

Posted: 2005-04-14 12:27 pm   Permalink

Shag is coming Friday April 15. We are making a dvd of the show. He was happy to let Tiki Central know.

Cindy

View Profile of Cindy Send a personal message to Cindy  Goto the website of Cindy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 7:18 pm   Permalink

Dang! I wish I would have read this before I reserved my tix for the 23rd. Oh well, at least I get to see the show!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-24 11:06 pm   Permalink

Wow! I loved this show! Loved the "operation" the Hullabaloo dancers and all the characters. Those who are familiar with Shag's paintings will recognize the characters immediately!

Tiki Matt & Ben, the bars were amazing! So much better in person than the photos show.

My friend wanted to go to Tiki Ti afterwards. I'd never been so I was anxious... bad idea. We opened the door to see sardines nicely packed in their own juices. The nice woman at the door told us we were number 1 & 2 in line. We stood outside (along with 20 other people who joined us) in the rain for 20 minutes before deciding we should just come back one afternoon. Too many happy campers in there!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-13 7:30 pm   Permalink

The LA Weekly just came out with their review of 'Shag With a Twist.'

Thumbs up line - "His droll tableaux of jet-setting swingers and wolf-headed Lotharios don’t merely replicate the visual tropes of the early, pre-lysergic 1960s, they authentically reflect that period’s hedonistic hubris and embrace of the cool."

Thumbs down line - "..... even though retro has become such a given in the world of fashion and entertainment, it remains a sterile construct, an altar of imitation and mugging."

The full review can be seen here -
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/25/theater-mikulan.php (scroll down to mid-page)

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev on 2005-05-13 19:30 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-12 8:37 pm   Permalink

Shag with a Twist has extended its show dates. On Friday Nights you can catch a FREE Shuttle bus from Ports of Call (San Pedro) to/from the show. If you take the bus be ready for Mai Tai's and Muchies. Woo Hoo!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-15 11:23 pm   Permalink

If you haven't seen it yet and still want to here are the dates:

June 17th and 18th Friday/Saturday 8:00 PM

June 24th and 25th Friday/Saturday 8:00 PM

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-24 07:28 am   Permalink

Since we haven't seen it yet, and tomorrow is the last day, and it's half price tickets if you mention "tiki news" at the box office, Krustiki and I are planning on going to see it tomorrow. Anyone else going to be there?

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation