FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Duran Duran "astronaut"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Duran Duran "astronaut"
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 3:14 pm   Permalink

Bau Haus. I DJ'd a big halloween party last month and got to pull out all my old 80's goth stuff. Lot's of fun. There were even a few people there who recognized some of those old tunes- which made the whole thing worth it. I heard that Bowie once said that he considered BauHaus his successor. I dunno, perhaps it's an urban legend, but they sure do the job on Ziggy Stardust.
I heard Peter Murphy has a new album out. What a voice.
I'm sure David J is still rocking. Love and Rockets are still going aren't they?

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-24 13:58, tikibars wrote:
Sylvian's "Secrets of the Beehive" (1987) might be in my top 3 records of all time.

I saw that tour in 1988 at the Wiltern theater in Los Angeles. It was, essentially, a religious experience for me. Barbieri and Jansen were of course there. The only one absent to complete the Japan line-up was Mick Karn. I got to meet Steve Jansen briefly after the show. I asked him if they would be playing the states more often and he said that if it were up to him, he would. (What did that mean?) Anyway, I think he was drunk by that point, but he was gracious enough to take a dorky fan photo with me. My "Trophies" lyric book from that tour is one of my most prized possessions. I don't care that they go for over $200 on eBay.

Hey has anybody seen the film "Made in Sheffield"? It came out a couple of years ago and is all about the Sheffield music scene in England and early new wave music. I haven't seen it yet, but am curious how it is.
http://www.sheffieldvision.com/

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-24 17:43, vintagegirl wrote:
I asked him if they would be playing the states more often and he said that if it were up to him, he would. (What did that mean?)

He probably meant that tours are dictated not by the desires of the band, but by their record labels, who are looking at profits and the bottom line. As big Sylvian fans as we are, the fact is that his following is pretty small, and Virgin (his label, until recently) isn't going to put him on tour unless he can bring in some cash... which, unfortunately, he can't (as evidenced by the fact that 80% of the dates on his 2002 tour were cancelled). He still does well in Europe and the far east, but not enough of us yanks ever caught on to his tunes to make more frequent touring worthwhile for the label, even if the band might want to.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 5:55 pm   Permalink

I just put a HUGE lot of 1980s vinyl LPs up on Ebay, including stuff by a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread. I know there's an Ebay forum now, but it seemed more appropriate to mention it here, since it's not Tiki items that I listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29857&item=4056138431

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 10:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-23 15:40, Geeky Tiki wrote:
I used to be absolutely sure that that one song they did was "Girls on Pills."

I was crestfallen when someone told me the real lyrics.

I knew all the lyrics when I was 11, but had no idea what it was really about until I saw the long version of the video......

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 10:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-23 17:30, Geeky Tiki wrote:
I dug "I Want Candy."

Candy, in this case, was a euphemism.

I never figured out the true meaning of that one either.

I didn't know a song had dirty lyrics unless Tipper Gore said so.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-11-28 8:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-24 12:20, vintagegirl wrote:
I actually got to meet Claudia Brucken a couple of years ago when she sang back up for Paul Humpreys (from OMD) here in LA.

Did Paul Humphreys play solo, or was this with OMD?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 01:43 am   Permalink

Brucken and Humphreys did a tour together doing Propaganda and OMD tunes (and some new stuff) a few years ago.

TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 1:54 pm   Permalink

I love 80s new wave/new romantic stuff, so I am enjoying this thread. I love Japan and VISAGE!!!!
I have a question about a new song that I heard on the radio, it is about a woman who still loves 80's music and how out of touch she is with today's sound, it goes something like "she wishes it were 1985, Springsteen Madonna before there was Nirvana." Does anyone know who sings this, it sounds like its Good Charlotte or one of those new pop/pink bands.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 2:21 pm   Permalink

Could it be from the new Gwen Stephani album? I heard it was very retro-80's.

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 14:21, tiki mick wrote:
Could it be from the new Gwen Stephani album? I heard it was very retro-80's.

I havent heard Gwen's album, but the song I am referring to had a guy singing. By the way I read somewhere that Gwen loves Duran Duran.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:17 pm   Permalink

TikiGoddess, it's a song called "1985" by Bowling for Soup. I heard it a few weeks ago too only I thought it sounded like Weird Al Yankovic. Here's the lyrics:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bowlingforsoup/1985.html

This is the kind of bland generic pop band that I really can't stand in contemporary music. I've never even heard of them before and they are already appearing at the Mall of America (how fitting) for some tree lighting ceremony.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:25 pm   Permalink

All these albums you mention and many more of the same ilk are available for about 50 cents in any English charity shop. Please feel free to come over and help free up the space.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:29 pm   Permalink

By the way, Gwen's solo album features contributions from Martin Gore, New Order, and Wendy & Lisa!!

What I've heard of it so far isn't that great, sadly.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 16:17, vintagegirl wrote:
TikiGoddess, it's a song called "1985" by Bowling for Soup....

Hey thanks!! I saw them on TV doing the theme to that new Gilligan's Island reality show and I thought they had a lousy name for a band. But thats another topic!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation