[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Ladies Night at Trader Vic's
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ladies Night at Trader Vic's
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-21 12:28 pm   Permalink

Well for now that's the working title while the upper crust at TVs considers letting me use their good name in the title.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 5:59 pm   Permalink

No comments? Not even negative ones. Is it the color palette? Did women in art go out of style? Did I offend? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-24 6:19 pm   Permalink

Hey, I saw this when you first posted it and thought it, and still do, looks great. One comment though... The first thing my eyes go to when I look at this is the eyepatch the chick on the right is wearing. I think it's the darkest thing in the pic which kinda makes it the focal point. If that's what you wanted, great job! If not, you may want to lighten it up a bit.

*kava "awa" stupor*

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bobby Peru
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-24 8:13 pm   Permalink

I think its great!
good use of shadows & depth

Keep em coming
cheers
Bob

View Profile of Bobby Peru Send a personal message to Bobby Peru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 8:19 pm   Permalink

I know how ya feel , its exciting to see what others think about your passions . With that said, The painting looks great. Really like the red dress. Kinda like the red dress lady in the matrix movie. Standing out from the crowd .

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 9:04 pm   Permalink

I like the concept and the execution, but the ladies look like they are dressed for the honkeytonk bar! A belly shirt at Trader Vics? Sacrilege!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 9:15 pm   Permalink

Great composition! Nice way to showcase the lady in red, then with an eyeroll off to the drama on the right. Very dramatic and sophisticated use of color! There's almost a "Last Supper" thing going on (eye-patch lady as Judas).
-FB

[ This Message was edited by: FreakBear on 2004-11-24 21:18 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bobby Peru
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-24 9:29 pm   Permalink

for some reason i keep thinking of Kill Bill.

View Profile of Bobby Peru Send a personal message to Bobby Peru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BARNETT
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-25 02:13 am   Permalink

I dig the colors! For some reason I like the chick with the eye patch, too.

View Profile of BARNETT Send a personal message to BARNETT  Email BARNETT Goto the website of BARNETT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 06:54 am   Permalink

good job raffertiki...i like it too...looks
like a happy tiki

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 09:24 am   Permalink

The guys, the feedback is most welcome.

Freakbear, I had a lot of fun with this one, and tried some new approaches like aligning all the eyes on the same horizontal line. I also tried to make this a dynamic moment on time leaving the viewer a lot of freedom to decifer the womens thoughts by their facial expressions. Your comparison to the "Last Supper" made my day.

Yumyum, I'll have to consider the distracting boldness of the eyepatch. I thought it would lend balance against the heavy blacks on the tiki on the left side.

Rodeo, "the woman in red" was a classic long before the Matrix, but yeah, it does make a great focal point.

Barnett, I think the "eye patch chick" became my favorite as well when I kept adding more and more pirate characteristics.

Quote:
A belly shirt at Trader Vics? Sacrilege!

Tikifish, you know there's always one in the crowd. Kind of like the one usher at a wedding wearing red shoes. This is someone in need of a master, perhaps someone like yourself, to set her right. The look the woman in red throws her, and her leaning away, says that her slobbish demeaner is not exactly appreciated.

Bobby Peru, They used a lot of primary colors in Kill Bill, like Uma in her solid yellow leather motorcycle outfit.

Quote:
good job raffertiki...i like it too...looks like a happy tiki

Conga, yeah, I wouldn't mind being the first guy to wander into this scene.

Thanks again all.

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 2:37 pm   Permalink

I like the eyepatch. It's cool! It's like that old ad, 'the man in the Hathaway shirt'. Except its a woman. And she's not wearing a Hathaway shirt!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 11:52 pm   Permalink

I've never seen a babe with a peg leg before. She is a pretty strong character full of interest and intrigue.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ShaTikah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-26 01:27 am   Permalink

Great piece, raffertiki!

The lovely lady in the fantastic-flower-halter dress eating a maraschino cherry and enjoying something in a tiki mug caught my attention. She is fantastic; looks like she's there to introduce Carmen Miranda as the headliner for the evening.

View Profile of ShaTikah Send a personal message to ShaTikah  Email ShaTikah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 3:21 pm   Permalink

ShaTikah,

I just placed the characters, feel free to pull your own stories out of it.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation