FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki "The Lucky Tiki" (Updates)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
"The Lucky Tiki" (Updates)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-23 09:45 am   Permalink

Bobby, that's truly great that you made that change, my kudos. When I read these reports, I thought tough!, but a small bar is dependant on the neighbourhood regulars, and has to cater to their tastes. The few afficionados that show will not keep it afloat...but of course alienating them is not good either.

This is a problem in many otherwise cool Tiki lounges, the owners give in to the fear that Exotica music is too slow and dated to appeal to the general customer, and play generic world music or Salsa or Reggae or ...White Snake. It is the same motivation that started that wave of painting your Tikis with garish colors in the 80s.

I believe if more proprietors would show staying power and not give customers an alternative, more members of this Exotica-ignorant public would get EDUCATED and eventually realize that to a Tiki Bar, Exotica music is the fourth dimension, the GLUE that (with the help of strong Polynesian Potions!) FUSES all the elements of the decor (the tropical wall textures, the lighting, the carvings) into one dreamy illusion. And some might learn to like Exotica and listen to it somewhere else to conjure up that experience.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-23 09:49 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-23 5:17 pm   Permalink

WOW BOB! MAHALO PLENTY!

I'm gonna have to swing by tonight!

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-15 07:44 am   Permalink

Party Tonight!

Tiki Magazine launch party!

See ya there Tiki Bob.

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-15 10:07 am   Permalink

[quote]
[i]On 2005-03-23 09:45, bigbrotiki wrote:

I believe if more proprietors would show staying power and not give customers an alternative, more members of this Exotica-ignorant public would get EDUCATED and eventually realize that to a Tiki Bar, Exotica music is the fourth dimension, the GLUE that (with the help of strong Polynesian Potions!) FUSES all the elements of the decor (the tropical wall textures, the lighting, the carvings) into one dreamy illusion. And some might learn to like Exotica and listen to it somewhere else to conjure up that experience.

BRAVO BIG BRO!! I couldn't agree more. So much Exotica music will be lost if we don't educate the public and playing the right kind of music in the right atmosphere, as a tiki bar, magically transforms the entire environment. A Mystical Tiki Fourth Dimension!! Yeaah!!

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-15 2:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jeff-
Congrats on your article in TM ! I saw it and must say a fine tome it is, worthy of it's wise contributors! What is your next article going to be about? Arty or Marty?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-15 8:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bigbro, I really am excited to be onboard this wonderful magazine. The next issue will have an article/interview with the MaiKai Gents. I am also working on features with Don Tiki, King Kukulele, Les Baxter and an exclusive interview with Billy Mure that was conducted at the Hukilau last year. I have a couple other ideas up my sleeve but they are top secret for now. See you at the Tiki Oasis! You're gonna be there right? I can't wait to tell you about my Witco piece I recently won on eBay.

All The Best,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation