FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Shag, call your lawyers!
Shag, call your lawyers!
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 8:19 pm   Permalink

I received this piece of mail from a local radio station today:

It's obviously not the work of Shag, but it's awfully close!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 8:27 pm   Permalink

That woman's arms are Freakin' Me Out!

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 07:48 am   Permalink

Her arms? How about those hands?
I think it's "The Claw" from those seattle signs.

As for the Shag style art, look at the prints from Disney's Tiki Room and then this
http://www.thetandoorioven.com/

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 09:30 am   Permalink

KFRC... I remember listening to that station when I was a kid. What was the guy's name Doctor Donald D. Rose? The last DJ I can remember doing all those little sound effects when he talked. For every two words there'd be a horn honking or an annoying whistle.

All you Bay Area folk's sing with me "six-ten K...F...R...Ceeee"

Oh yeah... total Shag rip-off.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 12:37 pm   Permalink

Disney! Call your lawyers....!

Shag

Disney

Shag

Disney

(Flying Saucer images originally found by Hanford...)

I'll try & scan my "Ghastly Stomp" 7" before Thanksgiving....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 3:32 pm   Permalink

Hanford and Cherry Capri!
Call your lawyers!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 7:05 pm   Permalink

It definitely appears to be a Cherry-Capri knock-off, hands aside.

Is that the price of fame?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-23 09:30, MachTiki wrote:
KFRC... I remember listening to that station when I was a kid. What was the guy's name Doctor Donald D. Rose?

THAT'S RIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!! (one of Dr. Don's many catch phrases). Remember his love of "Sacra-Tomato"? (btw Bay Area native here - we're getting harder and harder to come by).

[ This Message was edited by: Mai Tai on 2004-11-23 21:56 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 10:43 am   Permalink

OK - last post from the snotty retort dept.

Shag

Disney

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 8:16 pm   Permalink

Tangaroa, I'm quite sure that SHAG and Disney have a pleasant arangement. What your problem with it is what I don't understand? Also I believe you credited the pictures wrong.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-24 20:16, McDougall wrote:
Tangaroa, I'm quite sure that SHAG and Disney have a pleasant arangement. What your problem with it is what I don't understand? Also I believe you credited the pictures wrong.

I have no problem with Shag or his artwork - I'm pointing out that he has created artwork heavily influenced by other artists (Disney poster artists in this case) - so, I would think he wouldn't be calling his lawyers when some one else (like the artist at the top of this thread) appropriates his style.

Can you tell me how I credited the pictures wrong? I'd like to know if I'm mistaken...

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 12:20 am   Permalink

When it comes to record covers, parody of other's artwork is something that's been going on for decades. It's less stealing, and more having fun with what's gone before.

This example is just the first that popped into my head:

Approximating someone elses art style for an ad campaign is something different altogether, but I think that's something been explained on the board elsewhere.
(And I'm no lawyer)

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 05:36 am   Permalink

here's what popped into mine.

+

or

+

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-11-27 05:41 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 2:30 pm   Permalink

I always loved that P.I.L. one - anyone else remember the Ralphs Grocery Stores generic packaging that was based on? I haven't seen that packaging since the early 90s...

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation