FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki These are a few of my favorite holiday gripes...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
These are a few of my favorite holiday gripes...
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-26 10:15 pm   Permalink

Thought we could start a forum to discuss those holiday annoyances we could do without...

I'll start...what the hell is the deal with Mannheim Steamroller? That is without a doubt some of the foulest "music" I've ever heard...who buys that shit and why? Of all the decent Christmas music that has been recorded why would someone want to listen to synthesized orchestal interpretations of Christmas carols?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-26 11:36 pm   Permalink

No way ...

Mannheim Steamroller is cool. Especially when you discover that the main person behind this group was C.W. McCall, the exact same person who had the 1975 trucking song that hit the top of the charts ...... and breaker one nine, I'm a talkin to you, cause the name of that song was ....... Convoy!!!!

'Cause we got a little convoy
Rockin' through the night.
Yeah, we got a little convoy,
Ain't she a beautiful sight?

Some people think that Christmas is about elegance, and grace, and the redemption of the human race through the birth of Jesus. And there are others who appreciate Christmas because of the pure excess of consumerism and gliterry tinsely gloss.

As I get older, I'm appreciating the latter more and more .... and I love the fact that a guy can start his recording career with a trucker novelty song, and veer of the interstate and make a musical career change by veering 180 degrees into the Xmas synthesizer world. It is kind of like Mark Mothersbaugh going from being the guy responsible for the songs of DEVO, to doing music for a popular children's cartoon animation show, but even more warped.

There are some things about the holiday that I do hate, and as soon as think of some I'll post them. (O.K. I thought of one .... how come the cool wrapping paper with the cool sixties/Shag designs are really expensive, and the dollar a roll stuff at the Dollar Stores looks like crap)

27 more shopping days, before I truck this convoy across the U.S.A.

10-4 good buddy,
Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-26 11:57 pm   Permalink

Mannheim Steamroller!! AAAAAAAggggggghhhhhh!! It's like being caught in a traffic jam in the middle of Disney's "Electrical Parade"! It is as evil as Techno as far as I'm concerned.

My other Christmas music wonderment are non Christian performers selling oodles of Christmas CDs (like Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond) and the other bandwagon albums such as RAS Records "A Very Reggae Christmas." Rasta-far-i? 'tis the season for consumers...

My personal Christmas annoyance are people who every year have a "theme" in their decorating, Holiday wrap and matching Christmas Cards. I think it's time to get a new hobby

Thanks for this topic, I feel better already!

[ This Message was edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2004-11-26 23:58 ]

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 08:04 am   Permalink

I've never understood why so many people on TC are so violently opposed to certain forms of music. I have likes & dislikes as well, but I've never really gone out of my way to bash any style because it just might alienate someone. I try to find good music in just about every genre out there, be it Techno, Rockabilly, Jazz, funk, etc ... and yes, even Pop.

Now Barbara Streisand, she just needs to die a slow, painful death. but that's another story...

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 08:45 am   Permalink

Don't provoke my wrath by bad-mouthing the Main Street Electrical Parade music.

Don Dorsey composed that piece.

If you don't appreciate the Moog Synthisizer goodness that the MSEP theme is, try threading a thru-line from the space-age pop of Cal Tjader and Esquivel.

The Moog sound is inextricably linked to the space-pop music scene, and Dorsey's composition for Disney is a whirring masterwork that combines 30 or so Disney themes in a synchronized rondelay. It all works like a musical swiss watch, with the main theme providing the background upon which each float introduces its own variation. All the music was originally played through a multi-track audio tape so all the multiple tracks ran in perfect synch and stayed in synch for a 20 minute parade. No mean feat in the pre-digital era.

All music is interrelated. To broaden your definition of "good" music and "bad" music, one only needs to thread the relationships from a form they know, to one that's less familliar.

The MSEP theme is a jewel of Space Age Pop. The fact that it's still running makes it something like the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. A piece of the past, still being enjoyed today, and for all the same reasons why the past was fun.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 08:51 am   Permalink

Okay now that we've heard both sides on the Mannheim Steamroller topic I almost have an understanding of why people can have an appreciation for the humans responsible for making such music but, I still don't get it!

Stuff-O, I'd have to agree with you on the RAS Christmas album! Except for Freddie McGregor's "Oh Come Let Us Adore Him," the album sucks. If you want a decent reggae Christmas album you should go for Reggae Christmas From Studio One, actually more of a ska/rocksteady album. It's even got a song by the Wailers - "Sound the Trumpets" that in my opinion is damn cool and recorded when Bob, Peter, Bunny and the rest of the crew were still Christians. Not to discuss religion here but Rastafarians still have an appreciation and understanding of the ideals and teachings of Jesus Christ, so for them to record Christmas songs is not really that far of a stretch as opposed to Barb Streisand recording them...

Besides music, what else about the holidays sucks?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 09:31 am   Permalink

I have a few grips about retail stores.
1) I don't want to hear Christmas music until after Thanks-giving.
2) seeing Christmas trees all decked out on the sales floor by Halloween
3) early bird, door busters or what-have-you sales that turn the average shoppers into mob like mentality. I went to one of those just once and I swear to you it was worse than the days of when my husband and I used to go to general admission concerts to see 7 or 8 name bands back in the old days! Talk about pushing shoving and trampling!
I'd also like to add a grip from the other side of the cash register.
I worked in retail where Christmas sales of trees and decorations were a major part of our take for the year. Crabby, demanding, rude, people who are just looking to blow up at some poor sales clerk who doesn't really have it coming to them.It was even worse as manager when it's your fault for everything. I know that sometimes you get that clerk that is dumb as a box of rocks, but most times clerks above school age do care. After almost 20 years in retail I had to quit, I was really starting to hate Christmas (gasp!) and people in general.
(deep breath) ahhh, I feel so much better. Thanks for letting me vent.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 10:54 am   Permalink

I hate when I am putting up light strings and have to use a staple gun to secure a spot where a clip won't work if I miss getting the light cord centered perfectly and squeeze off a staple right through the electrical wiring.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 11:12 am   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-28 09:31, exotica59 wrote:
I went to one of those just once and I swear to you it was worse than the days of when my husband and I used to go to general admission concerts to see 7 or 8 name bands back in the old days! Talk about pushing shoving and trampling!

I fail to understand why anyone would want to camp out overnight to be the first in line at Wal-Mart, so they could buy some more cheap plastic crap they don't need. I was in Sacramento for Thanksgiving and this was the top story on the local news. WHY?!?

This year my employer has decided to shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years. We get the whole week off, but it's UNPAID. If we want to get paid for that week, we have to take vacation.

Also, see
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11925&forum=6&vpost=126418 for my rant about my neighbors who never take down their holiday decorations.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-26 23:57, stuff-o-rama wrote:
Mannheim Steamroller!! AAAAAAAggggggghhhhhh!! It's like being caught in a traffic jam in the middle of Disney's "Electrical Parade"! It is as evil as Techno as far as I'm concerned.

I like the Manheim Steamroller stuff! But then again, I have a velcro wallet...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 5:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-27 08:04, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
I've never understood why so many people on TC are so violently opposed to certain forms of music. I have likes & dislikes as well, but I've never really gone out of my way to bash any style because it just might alienate someone. I try to find good music in just about every genre out there, be it Techno, Rockabilly, Jazz, funk, etc ... and yes, even Pop.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend or tell people their taste in music sucked, I was saying that they were annoying to me. I worked in a record store as a music buyer for 14 years and we had to listen to all of those records non-stop. I guess too much of a good thing can drive you to insanity after a while. We sold those LPs and CDs by the truck load... I guess I should have stated that before hand. I have nothing against reggae or Barbara Streisand, I was just pointing out how it seemed odd for artists who are very vocal about their faith would record a Christian themed album (this statement is not an attack on religion).

Quote:

On 2004-11-27 08:45, BarkerBird wrote:
If you don't appreciate the Moog Synthisizer goodness that the MSEP theme is, try threading a thru-line from the space-age pop of Cal Tjader and Esquivel.

I love Esquivel, space-age pop and have even played a Walter/Wendy Carlos album or two!

Sorry if I started this out on a bad note...

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-28 6:04 pm   Permalink

I work across the street from the local Mall. To begin with I hate Malls and avoid entering them to the greatest extent possible. I don't like crowds, noise, traffic, parking problems (not so much walking distances from the door but waiting for people who block parking lanes so that they can save 10 feet of walking or whatever!), overpriced mall consumer goods, consumer debt, and most trends. Or department store perfumes, which make me nauseous.

Now, when x-mas season kicks into high gear, the Mall-goers (for lack of a more offensive term) add time to my commute time by polluting my simple commute with their Mall-going cars. For a green arrow that is only green for less than 5 seconds, and exactly 90 seconds between lights, waiting behind a line of 20 cars (3 or 4 light rotations, easily) just to get to work, really chaps my hide!

The interesting dynamics though are that the bulk of December is crap getting to work. But there is a strange lull in traffic - to make a gender assumption based upon personal experience and researched newspaper articles, it *appears* the women folk finish their shopping the last weekend before x-mas. men don't start until Dec. 24. Thus, there is a lull in mall traffic from the Monday prior to x-mas through the 23rd. This is the best time to go to the mall (or work, for me).

I guess everyone can't be as cool as us and get holiday gifts online, on e-bay, at thrift or antique stores, or make them by hand...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

Sorry if I started this out on a bad note...

No problem. You know, I forgot the smiley myself.

Mainly I was using your point to talk about what I love about the Main Street Electrical Parade theme. Everyone has different tastes.

I think the nature of this thread is kind of a gripe session anyway. Someone is bound to gripe about SOMETHING that someone else likes.

Back on topic, what's my Christmas gripe?

I like the things most people probably hate about christmas. I love the crowds, the malls, the whole crazy mess of it all. I'll keep my gripe to the music department as well.

Paul McCartney. I love you, man. You're the best thing to happen to music in my lifetime. But "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" blows.

About july every year, I finally get the repeating loop of the chorus out of my head. I time my enjoyment of the holiday season by how late in the year I first hear that song.

Sorry Paul, but you wrote a song surpassed only by "it's a small world" as a brain-addling earworm.

Next time, not so many repetitions in a song, thanks!

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 1:49 pm   Permalink

Christmas music in Ralphs grocery stores starting in October. That's gotta be the topper.

My Thanksgiving newspaper was 2/3 advertising.

I do have a gripe about getting an ad too late, though: Fry's Electronics in San Diego had a Friday-Only sale that I didn't get the ad for 'til Friday. $149.99 for a digital video camera, $99.99 for a PC, $19.99 for a DVD burner, a Microwave oven that's free after rebate...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation