FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki These are a few of my favorite holiday gripes...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
These are a few of my favorite holiday gripes...
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-11-30 11:22 am   Permalink

i like to think of carollers as mimes-that-sing. just as annoying, but louder.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 03:24, ErichTroudt wrote:
Holiday complaints huh?

Santas that are not old white guys. I'm all for equal rights, womens rights, but the legend of Santa Claus is an old German fat guy with a beard, not some chinese guy, a black guy or some woman that has something to prove.

Sorry, Santa Claus is based on an actual Bishop, made a Saint, Saint Nicholas. In my church we celebrate his name day Dec. 6 (my son's names day too) and our "Santa" actually dresses like a Bishop (if you really want to get technical) Traditionally gifts were exhanged on St. Nicholas Day leaving Christmas to celebrate the birth of Jesus. I actually think I'd like it better that way.
Here's a site about St. Nicholas
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7175/stnich-page.html

Sorry, back to your griping and such, bah humbug

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-30 11:45 am   Permalink

I always liked Charles Addams' take on how to deal with Christmas carolers:

http://www.cartoonbank.com/prints_addams.asp

(movie form):
http://www.geocities.com/~cousin_itt/a/a60.jpg

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 11:46 am   Permalink

Does anyone go caroling anymore?

Another peeve: obnoxious Salvation Army bell-ringers. One tried to lay a big guilt trip on me last night, even after I told her I had given them a truckload of stuff this year (which is true).

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:03 pm   Permalink

Bytes my friend, that could possibly be the funniest thing I have heard this holiday season. I think I will be using that line. I'll give you credit of course.

Few more gripes.

Turkey for dinner. Didn't we just have that same exact meal last month. We go 10 months out of the year without this Dry bird and now we have to have it twice in a months time? People, lets make Ham the official X-mas meal.

The jerkweed neighbor who buys his kids a loud motorizred scooters or dirt bikes. So all x-mas afternoon you have to hear highpitched motorcycles going up and down the street all day and night. I can't wait for them to pile it up in the curb or for it to break 2 months later.

The relative that puts out "that" candy jar. You probably don't wanna be there in the first place so you think "that hard candy looks good, maybe I'll have some, hey, I like candy and maybe we'll get lucky I'll choke and we'll have to leave". Meanwhile when you open the jar and take a piece, it's one solid piece. Decoration Candy. That candy has been in that jar since Moses had short pants and it just gets packed and unpaked every year with the rest of the decorations.

The numnut neighbor that leaves up his lights all year round.

The holiday scented x-mas candle that actually smells a little more like salmon and burning tires than pine or cinamon.

Relatives that invite you over at 2:00pm but forget to mention they aren't cooking that dry bird until 7:00. "Hey pal, I got 17 other relatives I obligated to visit this weekend. hey, they candy in that jar will hold me over.......

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:14 pm   Permalink

we've never done xmas turkey, thxgiving is enuf

ham rocks for xmas!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:17 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Laney, you're right about that Saint Nick.

But most malls aren't celebrating or portraying that particular Saint Nick.
They are portraying that "American version" of Saint Nick, the Dutch or German vision of Santa. The 1823 "The Night Before Christmas", the St. Nicholas from Harper's Magazine from the 1860's. the Coca Cola picture of Santa.

Bottom line here....Neither on of these Saint Nick, traditional or American version would have been a Woman or a chinese guy. I'm gonna pull a Will Farrell in Elf and attack the next Fake Looking Santa I see. "you're not santa, you smell like beef and cheese".

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:31 pm   Permalink

Ham Sucks.

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 12:31, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Ham Sucks.

you gonna hate on this?

ho boy!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 1:06 pm   Permalink

ErichTroudt,you had me in hysterics over the "just one big ole piece of stale candy"business.Same thing with Moses in short pants-very clever.Keep them coming.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 1:47 pm   Permalink

I'm good for Turkey at Christmas, since My thanksgiving was back at the beginning of October! Ham's good too.

I love to listen to strange songs come christmas time, I have a special list of alternative music I like to play at work.

Here are a few I'll keep on the server for the next 24 hours or so(e-mail me if you missed them)

Santa Has A Mullet
http://www.satin-moon.com/Nerf Herder - Santa Has a Mullet.mp3

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
http://www.satin-moon.com/Gayla Peevey - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas.mp3

I Am Santa Claus
http://www.satin-moon.com/Bob Rivers - I Am Santa Claus (Iron Man parody).mp3

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 1:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 12:48, Johnny Dollar wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-11-30 12:31, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Ham Sucks.

you gonna hate on this?

ho boy!

You've never tried my Aunts' ham! year after year. Christmas. Easter. Graduations. Reunions. Birthdays. You see, her side dishes are the worst part, so I'm left eating only ham & bread. Every event at her house. I'll take a chunk O'Pig any day... just not the same old crap year after year.

-Z

Ever have a family gathering where the food was so offensive that you had to hit Taco Bell on the way home?

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 13:47, Tikiwahine wrote:
]

I Am Santa Claus
http://www.satin-moon.com/Bob Rivers - I Am Santa Claus (Iron Man parody).mp3

!

docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 2:05 pm   Permalink

Holiday newletters! All you want is for people to be truthful,not"Our oldest,Steve,is a strapping six footer who,when not quarterbacking the varsity team to an unbeaten record,is busy running the school paper,and dating Britney,the head cheerleader,who,by the way,starred in the student production of "Brigadoon",and could very well be on her way to a fabulous career on Broadway.Kimmy,our youngest,just made the honor roll again,and could be the next Heidi Klum-the talent scout said so."Blah,blah,blah.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 2:08 pm   Permalink

I saw a flyer next to my local supermarket with this website on it:
http://www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/

I kinda like their idea of a Buy Nothing Day. I wouldn't mind if gifts were eliminated for the holidays (except for the kids, of course). There's already way to much stress in most of our lives and spending money we don't have for stuff we don't need just doesn't seem to enhance the holidays. It could still be a get-together family and friends time just like Thanksgiving, but without the stress and financial burden. I'd rather give gifts for birthdays anyway. Then you can focus on buying for only one person instead of thinking how if you buy for that person, then you also have to buy for this person even though you have no idea what they would like or could use. I know that the act of giving is a part of the holiday, but I just feel that giving should be done without expectation. People shouldn't feel obligated. If I do choose to give something I think someone could really use, I don't automatically expect something in return.

And, no, I'm not expecting any gifts myself. Frankly, I just don't have the room for any more stuff anyway. Sorry, don't mean to be all Bah Humbug about it, but I do wish the focus was a little more on the supposed peace and goodwill towards our fellow humans or helping those less fortunate instead of what gift can I afford that will impress my friend, sibling, lover, etc. I may not have much, but I am thankful for what I do have, which is more than what most people in the world have.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation