FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 7:11 pm   Permalink

After putting up our tree last night I got to thinking about how many TC'ers have these classic artificial beauties from years gone by. While doing a search I found another thread from last year which was actually about what to do with a real tree after Christmas. Replies came from several members who metioned they had an aluminum tree.Including:
SULLTIKI
LANEY
SJARVIS
SUZYWONG
TRAITOR VIC

We actually have 10 different aluminum trees.
I have my Grandparents one and have found several at yard sales over the last few years. We always put up at least one every year. The trees range in height from 2 feet to 6 feet. Most are the larger ones and almost all are in the original boxes. We also have several of the color wheels. You do need to be home when using them just in case the old wiring gets too hot or it stops rotating while the light is on, that can melt your color wheel.
I remember as a kid we used to lay on the floor under the tree and watch the colors change and sparkle. A very fond memory of my Grandparents place at Christmas time.
OK folks, How about adding a photo of your own personal aluminum tree all decorated to this thread ?
Looking forward to seeing a lot of these classic trees.
Here's ours.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2004-11-27 19:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8ft tiki on 2004-11-27 22:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2009-11-27 12:23 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-27 11:13 pm   Permalink

Haven't put mine up yet, but here are some past Christmas pix. I have a vintage silver with 2 of the old color wheels going, I also have a pink tinsel and a green/blue one. Can't find a pix of the grn/bl model as of yet. I also have a family of 50's mannequins. The ever lovely Barbara is modeling her past years outfits next to the tree.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 01:13 am   Permalink

I've got one; it's still down in the garage right now. I decorate it with vintage Shiny Brite glass ornaments, but I have yet to find an affordable color wheel light. <sigh>

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 01:28 am   Permalink

They don't make 'em big enough, but I love 'em.

I imagine a world with 12' aluminum Norway Firs or Noble Firs.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 01:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-27 23:13, exotica59 wrote:
The ever lovely Barbara is modeling her past years outfits next to the tree.

Does Barbara have a sister?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 04:20 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting the pic of my tree.
I too, have several. I used to set up 2 trees, the little (4 ft.) one pictured with all my old and collectible glass and a 6 ft with all cheesy vintage Japan plastic.
I especially love the pom-pom tipped with the glass balls on the tips. You can see the green glass tips in the pic if you look hard. I think I have 3 of those and a couple regular ones. Once the 6 ft. fell over and a few of the glass tips broke.

I also have a few color wheels. But, I like the new one better than my vintage ones. It is more quiet and probably safer. I got mine from my Mom but she said she got it from one of those tacky catalogs.
Found it! Here you go, from Harriet Carter
http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?prod=1074&UDC=Y&CFID=1361317&CFTOKEN=37143516

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 08:14 am   Permalink

Don't have one,but I wish I did! These are classic-probably wanted one as a kid,but most likely my mom thought they were tacky.I'm enjoying the photos.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 10:59 am   Permalink

I just love them! I think I used to set up a little table top one when I was really young, but my Mum says she doesn't remember anything about it(denial). I love having a big douglas fir every year. If I ever found an aluminum one, it would be my permanent second tree.
Thanks for the photos, they are beautiful!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-28 3:46 pm   Permalink

Here is a great photo book that came out this year .... "Season's Gleamings - the Art of the Aluminum Christmas Tree" - a copy will be definitely placed under my own aluminum tree.

http://www.shimonlindemann.com/pages/books.htm

I had the pleasure of seeing authors Shimon and Lindemann's collection of 40 aluminum trees in their store-front showroom in Wisconsin on Christmas Eve about 7 years ago. The next time I saw them was in 2000 in Columbus, for the closing of the Kahiki restaurant .... so it is great to see the aluminum tree thread here on Tiki Central.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-28 4:50 pm   Permalink

I love 'em and also have a collection of them (about 10). I love the pink tinsel one pictured in this thread.

View Profile of Chacha Send a personal message to Chacha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 6:21 pm   Permalink

I love the silver trees, but don't have one yet. When I had cats, they were possessed by their mylar toys on sticks, had to attack any mylar-type material like the fierce hunters they were, so an entire tree of the irresistable crunchy stuff would've endangered the lives of the tree & cats in one swell foop.
This year, I saw an eye-wateringly bright,lime-neon green metallic tree this year (not vintage, obviously) and may have to go back to get it. Inexplicably, it was displayed in the center of an otherwise sophisticated collection of Channukah accessories.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 06:06 am   Permalink

Zebratiki-that wasn't a Christmas tree,it was a Channakah bush.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 3:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-29 06:06, docwoods wrote:
that wasn't a Christmas tree,it was a Channakah bush.

I thought maybe that's what they were trying to do, and maybe the person who put it out was colorblind, but electric lime green? Blue, I could understand, as I grew up with a traditional Irish Catholic/Jewish household that celebrated ChannukahChristmas every year, giving me the ability to duck a flying guilt trip thrown at me from any direction.
The alarming lime green metallic tree has possessed me, and I may be going back to get it ... the same store was selling a trio of faux palms (the tallest of the three about 5') on an "island" base with white lights on green wires already strung through it.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 6:55 pm   Permalink

This thread is too coincidental. We just bought an aluminum tree over the weekend and then I saw these posts. Marian's dad was an executive with Alcoa, so her family had to have one when she was growing up. Her dad ditched it when he left the company. We saw one at Breelle and Tristan's two years ago and Marian fell in love with it. I think Swanky has one as well.
Anyway, glad to know we will soon have a tiki-correct holiday tree in our living room.
And Vern, that books looks great.
I'll try to post a picture of our tree once it is set up.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: KailuaGeoff on 2004-11-29 18:56 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-11-29 8:49 pm   Permalink

my aluminum tree is up! my favorite aunt bought it for a buck at a garage sale!

got the color wheel up and running.. cant wait to get the ornaments on ~ will post pics when we get it decorated.

i miss the smell of pine ~ dont miss wrassling with the tree and tying it to the jeep..and then dragging it to the recycler.

e

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation