FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 10:24 pm   Permalink

The book, "Season's Gleamings," that ikitnrev mentioned is on sale at Target on their website for $11.53 this week.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 1:38 pm   Permalink

The latest issue of "Money" magazine has an article about vintage aluminum trees as a hot collectible. Anyhow, we have a nice silver one that belonged to my husband's grandmother. We also have 2 color wheels and a white metal glitter covered stand that plays music, this came w/ the tree.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 3:36 pm   Permalink

Aluminium trees look horrible! All fake trees do. I'm going to steal my tree from a local forest.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:00 pm   Permalink

My family used to go on a tree cutting trip ervery year. We'd all pile into the Valiant, take a ferry over to Salt Spring Island and go trekking through the snow searching for a tree under the hydro lines. We'd lash it to the roof then go visit the friendly resident turkey before heading home.

Good times, good times.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:07 pm   Permalink

THANKS for posting my picture, and those of the others.

Great topic!

Mine was my grandparents. I still have the sleeves and part of the box with the reorder form!

It is amazing what some of the larger one's go for on eBay.

I think they are so cool. I used round lavender and blue ornaments last year. And the retro Barbie ornaments the time before that.

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 15:36, Trader Woody wrote:
Aluminium trees look horrible! All fake trees do. I'm going to steal my tree from a local forest.

Trader Woody

I'm with you, no fake trees and eliminate the middle man for buying a new one.

Just make sure you plant a new tree to replace the one you're removing. No more Easter Islands.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 7:24 pm   Permalink

I hoped to get a Bunyabunya or Monkeypuzzle for a Christmas tree...I would claim that I had no idea they were so sharp...or that thier cones weighed 15 pounds and could kill the mailman.

Those Aluminum (Aluminium?) ones are swank tho...I always found the red ones fetching.

I saw some inflatable trees this year, and while they are tacky...I don't care for inflatable yard things..I think these work off little fans. (not tacky enough maybe?)

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-12-01 8:45 pm   Permalink

I love the smell of a fresh cut tree and that is what I remember growing up. Later Dad started getting the flocked white ones.....did not smell as good. We got our aluminum tree at a swap meet several years ago. As we travel between families or take vacation, it is much easier to set up even if just for the few days we are here. We put all or fun ornaments (flying saucer, pickle, flamingo, airstream trailer, tiki necklaces, etc.) on it and use the color wheel. No lights necessary. We had a couple of years where the fresh tree.......wasn't, and dropped needles within days.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 9:02 pm   Permalink

I got one on ebay for next to nothing last year, sadly, I got what I paid for, it was pretty thin, bent, scraggly and just plain sad looking. A friend of mine liked it so I ended up giving it to him. I have a bag full of my Grandmother's old corsages from the fifties and sixties that I plan on using as ornaments. Still on the hunt for one, I just love 'em!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
calneva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-01 10:34 pm   Permalink

There's an article in the Chronicle's Home & Garden section today about aluminum trees. They interview Shimon and Lindemann about their collection and talk about a new $1000 pink aluminum tree featured MARTHA STEWART LIVING. I guess they're all the rage now, so snatch those suckers up before people on ebay start asking $500 for a nappy, 30 year-old fake christmas tree.

View Profile of calneva Send a personal message to calneva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 06:19 am   Permalink

As a kid, I absolutely hated the one my grandmother had. Now, I think they're great for adding another retro touch to one's hipster pad (really). But, deep down, I know Santa tut-tuts whenever he sees one.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

Trader Woody

Woody, try pronouncing it correctly: alu·mi·num. Not al·u·min·i·um, it's pronounced alu·mi·num. Aren't they looking better already?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
delphiniumangel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-02 11:31 pm   Permalink

Aluminum just isn't right - must have the real thing! Although I do mine every year the island theme - this year I have some beautiful ornaments from Molokai.

View Profile of delphiniumangel Send a personal message to delphiniumangel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 11:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-02 09:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

Trader Woody

Woody, try pronouncing it correctly: alu·mi·num. Not al·u·min·i·um, it's pronounced alu·mi·num. Aren't they looking better already?

If aluminium is supposed to be aluminum is titanium supposed to be titanum?

-Confused in San Diego

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 12:37 am   Permalink

I like the way they look, one of my best friends had thieir(I can never remember) fake tree spray-painted black. Dont remember if it was aluminium or plastic. For that matter, I didn't ask if it was painted or just made that way. oh well, aluminium trees are cool.

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation