FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 12:59 pm   Permalink

Here's my second (fun) tree to compliment the formal one above.

also note the Festivus pole to the right of the tree.

and then there is the fireplace with the fake logs that glow and crackle.

I kind of think of fake logs in the same realm as aluminum trees.

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 1:20 pm   Permalink

Here's my Evergleam

Here's some with the colorwheel...

Here's some with the base rotating...

Here's some close-ups of the vintage ornaments...

Here's my 1957 Voice of Music Hi Fi playing the christmas tunes...

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 11:32 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-23 06:13 am   Permalink

Love the aluminum tree! Here are photos of mine, one belonged to my husband's grandmother, the other is from an estate sale. I have one decorated in strictly vintage ornaments, the other has random stuff and mardi gras beads, along w/ the original mercury glass garland that came with it. Pardon my poor photography.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 9:46 pm   Permalink

gotta get my aluminum tree piccs up before this thread goas into storage until nexzt yr.
Ive got an EVERGLEEM, with original box. Ive had it for about 15 yrs. and it cost $4.99 at the thrift store. I only have one small box-o-ornaments, nothing fancy, buit it all matches my livingroom blue and brown

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 08:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-21 18:55, Unkle John wrote:
Want to buy Aluminum (PVC) Tree with light for $30 brand new?

http://www.abcdistributing.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg3.asp?G=462&P=78&Rec=2&Ntt=retro&N=35&Nao=0&R=12947

We got ours in the mail today and with a few minor adjustments to the pole, it's going to set up great! I was going to post about it when we found and ordered it, but I forgot we did that until it arrived today. But none the less, this is a great deal for someone like us who are on a budget, or someone who hasn't had the luck at getting an antique tree.

here is said tree (I thought I posted some last year, huh)

some of our neighbors saw it and when they saw us in town asked us about it. I think we are starting a trend!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 12:06 pm   Permalink

Well, Thanksgiving 2009 is over and around the 8FT household we are decking the halls. Actually we don't do anything in the halls but in the other rooms we have Christmas coming out again. Since I started this thread a few years ago there have been a lot of pictures added by the Aluminum tree lovers out there but unfortunately many have now turned into a red x or a mini version of the original shot because they were hosted on shutterfly.com and don't match the TC format. So if that includes your submission from the past, please take a new shot of your tree this season and edit your original post OR resubmit the photo from before in the new format. Now, since it is time to haul out the decorations again, I thought I would grab the camera and shoot a few pics of the Aluminum tree boxes and as a BONUS, the Color Wheels that go with them!

First the trees:

These are from PECO (Production Engineering Co., Austell, GA)
We have 3 different sizes. This year we set up a 6'8"er. Because....I don't have an 8FTer hahaha, I mean Hohohoho.

Next up are the "Evergleams" from Aluminum Specialty of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Again we have 3 different sizes.

Here are some miscellaneous manufacturers including
Consolidated Novelty Co., Paterson, NJ
R.O. KENT Corp. NY,NY and Federal Insulation Co. of Chicago,IL

Lastly is a permanently assembled tree in a paper mache base.
No manufacturer known. It is just over 3' tall.

We have collected these trees for a LONG time and really haven't been trying to but whenever one appears at the right price we adopt it. I think we have been given 3 of them and the others have ranged in price from 50 cents to $7.

Next up is the Color Wheels. Lets start with the boxes. Not all of our wheels have boxes but here are the ones we do have.

Now some shots of the different styles of color wheels. It is amazing to see the various ways that the wheels were designed. They all use the same four colors; red, green, blue and yellow but I have noticed that they are in different orders as the manufacturer decided. I wish I had taken photos of all the wheels we have seen in antique shops but didn't buy!

First is the PENETRAY Deluxe model. Penetray Corp. Toledo, OH

Next is another PENETRAY model.

Now here is the Spartus model 880.

Here is our favorite and most recent find. I love it because the interior rotates and has 4 colored glass discs instead of the rotating plastic wheel styles. Manufacturer unknown.

Another wheel is from ON-A-LITE Corp. Peoria, IL
It is not pictured because a friend is repairing it for us.
You may notice in the picture that has the color wheel boxes there is also a box containing a Revolving tree holder! That was produced by Handy Things MFG. Co. Ludington, MI
It is in MINT unused condition and is very cool.
Well that's it for now. Please keep adding your photos as you can and have a very Merry Aluminum Christmas!!!

The 8FT Tiki family.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 12:36 pm   Permalink

8 FT I am in awe of your color wheel awesomeness!

I came across 2 color wheels and resold both for a tidy profit. I do wish now that I would of kept one.

You are my vintage Christmas rockstar!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

I'm beyond jealous! You have far too many for one family. Won't you consider selling just one little silver tree and color wheel to a needy family (meaning ME)? These are way too hard to find now in Southern California ... sigh...

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 4:22 pm   Permalink

8ft, I think I'm in love.

Will you adopt me too? Just for the Christmas Holidays?

XOXO

TW

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 6:38 pm   Permalink

8ft. Your collection of trees is incredible, however the color wheel collection brought back some cool yule-tide memories. Mid 1960's Ellsworth A.F.B. South Dakota, junior high rock and roll band "The Roots of Evil" would secretly borrow the revolving color wheel from one of the hip and cool families and use it as our "special effects" for our gigs at the community center or the Teen Club. Great collection !

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 6:28 pm   Permalink

We had a vintage pom pom tree, but it was pretty scroungy, so we traded for a more contemporary silver tree. A couple years back one of Target's designers was doing a theme of retro 60's ornaments and we cleaned them out. So all is new except for the color wheel(s) I have.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Adain

Posted: 2009-12-16 12:32 am   Permalink

Hi,

Good post....thanks for sharing.. very useful for me i will bookmark this for my future needed. thanks for a great source.

View Profile of Adain Send a personal message to Adain  Goto the website of Adain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 1:01 pm   Permalink

ahhhhh. from my youth. my dad put up a 7 footer every year for about 10 years. he decorated it with red, blue and gold ornamates of the same round shape and diameter. i loved the symmetery of it. he also had 2 color wheels, 1 on each side. i used to love watching that thing under the influence of certain substances. thumbs up to these.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 3:00 pm   Permalink

I LOVE COLOR WHEELS!!

- remember they put white floodlights in them and they got really hot - but they were purdy!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation