[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Witco freaks
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Witco freaks
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-28 3:34 pm   Permalink

Anybody here able to identify a Witco peice for me if I provide a pic? I can't be certain that the sig is Witco. It looks like Withcom to be honest, very hard to read.

Anyway, it's a couple of ships on a sponge paint looking background. The style is certainly Witco even if the piece isn't.

Anyway, it's for sale and cheap at this place near by. I'm not much of a Witco fan save for the tiki specific items, but if it is Witco and someone might want it I'd take a digital pic and maybe pic it up for them.

Ahu

-Oscar Wilde

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-28 15:35 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 09:54 am   Permalink

Ku Ku Ahu!
If you can provide a pic, I'd love to see it (and possibly buy it if you don't want it for yourself).

Just let me know!

Mahalo!

frank@tikifarm.com
or
SugarCaddyDaddy@aol.com

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 1:51 pm   Permalink

I'll get a pic tomorrow for ya if I have time to hit that shop. Hopefully it will still be there.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 3:31 pm   Permalink

where in ohio are you? TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-29 15:31, TIKI DAVID wrote:
where in ohio are you? TD

Kahiki, Ohio

(Columbus)

Ku Ku

Fraternal Order of Moai

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 3:45 pm   Permalink

Okay, here's the situation for all interested parties.

I'm going to go there (the store) tomorrow and see if it is still there. I'm going to go ahead and buy it then and post a pic.

The problem is that one member here wants it sight unseen, but another has inquired about it first. I'm not looking to profit on this thing, I just thought it would be good in an aloha spirit sense to pass along an item to someone that would like it. It's a cool piece but it's not my bag.

I spend alot of time hunting stores for neat-o stuff like this and it seems like as a community we might pass along info on items we leave behind for others.

So how can we get this thing to somebody fairly when there is a good bit of interest?

I'm open to suggestions. Lottery? A forum members only auction? What? All I need to get out of it is the price + shipping and packing and maybe a thank you.

I suppose we can talk about it after the pic is posted, but the person who wants it sight unseen seems to be a reasonable choice.

I guess we could auction it here with any profit going to TC or something.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 6:40 pm   Permalink

I'm curious to see this too! I've got a large Witco piece with ships on it as well, and am wondering if this might be the same one or perhaps one that would go well with mine...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-11-29 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-29 15:45, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:
I guess we could auction it here with any profit going to TC or something.

you could buy yourself a Grand Membership!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 8:45 pm   Permalink

I say let the first person that publicly replied to your post have the first crack at it...

Of course that's my biased opinion.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 8:49 pm   Permalink

Witco made many ship wall paintings/carvings, on canvas, fake fur, or other cloth that had only "accents" of paint on it. If it is a fully painted background it is likely to be non-Witco.
If there is a signature on the front, it will read "Wilrongo", not a Polynesian deity, but the first syllables of the three designers, WILliam Westernhaver, RONald Hovde, and GOrdon Robb.
And we are not "Witco Freaks".

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-29 20:49, bigbrotiki wrote:
Witco made many ship wall paintings/carvings, on canvas, fake fur, or other cloth that had only "accents" of paint on it. If it is a fully painted background it is likely to be non-Witco.
If there is a signature on the front, it will read "Wilrongo", not a Polynesian deity, but the first syllables of the three designers, WILliam Westernhaver, RONald Hovde, and GOrdon Robb.

Well, there ya go. That explains why I couldn't nail down the sig as "Witco". It is certainly a Witco piece based upon the paint, the style, and the sig. Thanks for the expertise, I appreciate it.

Quote:
And we are not "Witco Freaks".

Of course you're not...but it got your attention didn't it?

Ku Ku

laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 09:45 am   Permalink

I AM a Witco freak!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 11:52 am   Permalink

Arrrgh...

I just called the shop and talked with the guy I spoke with last sunday. He says the picture is still there, but that it is $75.

Now when I expressed a passing interest in it and told him it was possibly a Witco it was $45. That was a mistake on my part I guess. I never should have mentioned that it was a desirable work by a known company.

So there you have it. My fault. Sorry for getting everyone worked up over it.

I have decided not to go and pick it up now due to the price jump. I'm glad I called first and got the owner. If I'd gone down there and had to talk to some kid I'd be angry.

If you all still want me to photograph it at that price I will go down there this week, but I am a little disenchanted about the whole thing now.

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-30 11:53 ]

laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 11:58 am   Permalink

I agree. That stinks that he would do that. I'd pass just because he did that. Thanks for posting though!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 5:43 pm   Permalink

[whine]But I still wanna see it!![/whine]

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation