FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving KailuaGeoff's Honolulu Lounge (Bamboo photos 6/1/05)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
KailuaGeoff's Honolulu Lounge (Bamboo photos 6/1/05)
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 08:07 am   Permalink

Aw fudge! The site is graded, the forms are set, the chalk lines are snapped, the 5-year termite killing spray has been applied and the vapor barrier is on the ground. Too bad the concrete guy's pump broke and he won't be pouring our new slab today as expected. Now I'll have time to sit silently and contemplate all of the different ways bamboo can be arranged on the walls of my future hut. The concrete pour has been re-scheduled for Monday.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-03 08:07 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-13 6:02 pm   Permalink

Okay, the concrete finally got poured between rain storms and everything is looking good. Here are some pictures of our progress, plus some extra stuff...

Our son Michael stayed home from school to watch the guys pour the cement. He has his own mug collection, so he was anxious too!

Here's the form around the fountain.

Here's the form for the Honolulu Lounge.

Concrete!!!

Hard concrete!!! Now we have to wait a few weeks for our windows to be delivered, so we can start framing.

Meanwhile, this is what it looks like when Oceanic Arts delivers bamboo and thatching to your door...

No, we didn't order an entire semi full of bamboo, just about $400 worth of 1 1/2 inch poles, 4 inch poles and some 4x8 Lauhala.

This is what you do with your mug collection while your tiki room is being built -- store them in the garage... Maybe this is why they call them suffering bastards.

Actually, we did more gardening this weekend and put some resin wicker furniture on the lanai. Everything is kind of temporary though, because we are going to tile the lanai and the lounge after things are further along. More later.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-13 18:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-13 18:25 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 2:16 pm   Permalink

This is what happens when you rush your tiki bar project....

Sure, you start with the best of intentions carefully splitting each piece of bamboo...

Each task takes a little longer than expected, so you work faster and an inevitable slip up leads to a minor injury

Or two....

In your frustration, you start overlooking important details...

And appearances suffer.

The next thing you know, the whole damn project just goes to shit...

Flounder's comig over Saturday night. I'm hoping he can help me fix up this pile of crap. I'm so embarrassed.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-05-20 14:18 ]

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 2:25 pm   Permalink

Damn, I hope Flounders one hell of a carpenter.
Hahahaha, thats just what I needed today.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 2:31 pm   Permalink

I really love the bamboo splitter and the bloody stumps were cool.T he story was neat, just pulled you in. Can't wait to see the finished project.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-20 14:25, rodeotiki wrote:
Damn, I hope Flounders one hell of a carpenter.
Hahahaha, thats just what I needed today.

Damn I hope I'm that good of a carpenter as well because that is pretty much what my new fixer upper house looks like!

I can't wait to see the real thing. If it looks like that for real at least we have wood for a fire.

I can't wait to tast e the sweet nectar called Cruzan! haha

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 3:54 pm   Permalink

great pics geoff. Very funny.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 3:59 pm   Permalink

Hope you didn't sever a tiki! Otherwise, full speed ahead.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 07:26 am   Permalink

Me and the wahine visited the Honolulu Lounge last night. One word can sum up the place and that word is AWESOME!

It was nice to see Geoffs dream come true especially after hearing him talk about it for a year or so. The first thing you notice as you walk into the bar is the fabulous 8 foot tiki supporting a cross beam. The tiki from BOT pg.24 to be exact. Right behind that is yet another incredible sight, that of the Witco bar and stools with original leopard print.

The bars tile floor continues right out the door into the garden with tikis and a koi pond with water being fed by a spitting tiki custom made by Wayne Coombs.

The bar is really well done and has a warm feeling to it.

Geoff also has an amazing collection of mugs, books, menus, and postcards.

I give the Honolulu Loungs four and a half stars. It would have had a five star rating but when I first arrived I heard Jimmy Buffet playing! LOL

Oh' and the drinks were great too! We started with a Scorpion Bowl then my favorite the Zombie. We then ended the night with a couple Mai Tais.

Thanks for a great night! It's good to know your right around the corner.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-22 3:56 pm   Permalink

The place looks great. Too bad we never get invited.....

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-22 15:56, NeptuneTiki wrote:
The place looks great. Too bad we never get invited.....

That's because your a bad influence! At least that's what I hear.

Next time you two come to town we can hang out at the Honolulu Lounge. It would be nide to see you. Like how I invite myself to Geoffs place.

www.flounderart.com

NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-22 4:12 pm   Permalink

Can I come to the party too???????
Neptune Wahine

[ This Message was edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2005-05-22 16:18 ]

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-22 4:16 pm   Permalink

That was me asking that..... I don't know why Neptune Tiki came up? It is a mystery!!! The place looks awesome!

Neptune Wahine

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 5:29 pm   Permalink

Flounder & Meg,
Thanks for coming by last night. We had a great time as well. It so cool to have people come to you tiki bar who don't throw your vintage stir sticks in the trash or bang their beer cans on the top of your bar.
I knew you would love the Jimmy Buffet tunes. No way was I going to play Martin Denny as you walked through the door.
After all those drinks and good conversation, I was too burned out to drive to Tampa for Pablus' party. We do NEED to go visit him soon.
Neptune & Neptune Wahine,
Come see us Memorial Day weekend. Either that, or we'll come see you.
I'm going to post some construction pics of the real deal now.
KG

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 7:38 pm   Permalink

These photos are of work that started about three weeks ago. After our windows arrived, the framing started to go up...

Then the windows went in and the exterior walls went on..

And the door had to be hung.

I went to work hanging all the inside walls and Wahine Marian started painting...

Here I am cleaning up for the 100th time. I'm the one that looks like a mess.

The electrician and tile man came the same week, which was great. The electrician dropped the wires and installed all of the boxes. I wired up all of the lights and outlets.

The all-important tiki mug shelving went up next.

Then I spent an entire day working on a beam that runs the length of the room. I had to be careful not to split the beam but still carve out enough space to fit two of the Imperial Luau tikis around a support post in the center of the room.

After the tikis were in place, I started work on the ceiling. Where's Bamboo Ben when you need him?

After the ceiling was up, Marian and I couldn't resist the urge to start moving everything in even though there is a ton of bamboo that still needs to be inlaid on the walls.

There you have it. Welcome to the Honolulu Lounge.

Like I said before, the space we had to work with was fairly small (21 x 8 feet), but what helps make it work are two large doorways into the living room on each side of the room. They're not in the pictures, but they used to be sliding glass doors. Once I pulled those out, the room really opened up to the rest of the house. I'll post some more pictures when the bamboo work is done.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-05-22 19:41 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation