advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help, is this really "vintage?"
Help, is this really "vintage?"
dreadpyrat

Posted: 2004-11-29 11:38 am   Permalink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2004&item=3942480314&rd=1

It looks suspiciously like a modern doll but I dont know my hula girls very well so any input is appreciated!

View Profile of dreadpyrat Send a personal message to dreadpyrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-29 1:29 pm   Permalink

I'm no expert, but it looks vintage. The skirts on the new ones aren't silk (as far as I know).

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-11-29 5:18 pm   Permalink

Tiki Matt is correct, the skirt material is indicative of a vintage nodder. Another mark would be if it had a 'Made in Japan' tamp on the base.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-11-29 5:58 pm   Permalink

"repair on her feet - not terribly obvious but could be easily touch up and would not be noticed"

looks like she was snapped off at the ankles!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dreadpyrat

Posted: 2004-11-29 6:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks all! Ah yes, I didnt even notcie the snap repair on the ankles. Good catch! Hm...I'm winning the auction right now so I might get stuck with this gimpy gal.

View Profile of dreadpyrat Send a personal message to dreadpyrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-29 6:57 pm   Permalink

I have a non-vintage ceramic hula girl whose base snapped off at the ankles when she fell on the carpeted floor.

a little elmers glue fixed her right up and since then, no problems! but the lines are also obvious.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-29 17:58, dogbytes wrote:
"repair on her feet - not terribly obvious but could be easily touch up and would not be noticed"
looks like she was snapped off at the ankles!

Exactly, that's why she's goin so cheap.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-11-30 12:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

should i be not passing up hula girls at thrift stores? i dont collect these ~ so im unfamiliar with the value...

honestly, i never thought about buying them to trade for mugs...

should i reconsider?

e

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 00:48, dogbytes wrote:
Quote:

should i be not passing up hula girls at thrift stores? i dont collect these ~ so im unfamiliar with the value...

honestly, i never thought about buying them to trade for mugs...

should i reconsider?

e

No, you shouldn't pass on them. Their value is pretty high. Again, I'm no expert, but on average I would say the kind in this post (in good condition) goes for around $125 - $150. "Made in Japan" on the bottom is a good thing. Also, a magnet on the bottom is a plus. The magnet was used to secure to your dashboard (remember when they were metal?). I don't realy collect Hula stuff, but I did find a "Made in Japan" with the magnet a couple of years ago in an antique store for $20 and couldn't pass it up.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:29 pm   Permalink

FrankenNodder

Paint some phony stitches over those cracks in her feet for a monster hula look.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 10:02 pm   Permalink

does anyone know if the chalk/plaster ones are older or newer than the ceramic ones? i also came across one in an antique mall for $20 but mine is chalk hence the question.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-08 03:31 am   Permalink

The one thing I have learned is, if the ad says "vintage", it usually means it was created to look like the original old style. Same as with "vintage" guitar amps and guitars... brand new "old" looking stuff...

MTM

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation