Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Star Tours Robot Voice
Star Tours Robot Voice
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 4:55 pm   Permalink

Call me crazy but the little robot that drives the Star Tours simulator at Disneyland sounds exactly like Paul Rubens. It even had a little "Pee Wee" laugh during the monolog. Of course the voice sounds a little different because they recorded the sound using "robot" effects.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-30 5:04 pm   Permalink

by jove you're right!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000607/

http://www.lucasfan.com/swtv/tours3.html

http://www.epinions.com/trvl-review-62FB-AD6E08A-3946A3C5-prod3

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 5:39 pm   Permalink

Kinda makes you concerned about what exactly that robot's doing with his robot hands don't it?!

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 8:06 pm   Permalink

...so funny I forgot to laugh!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 07:19 am   Permalink

Don't forget to wipe up the hydrolic fluid when your done !

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 08:08 am   Permalink

Yikes, double post

[ This Message was edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-12-01 14:14 ]

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 08:09 am   Permalink

I was just there and thought (C3pO) sounded like Tony Blair.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 08:39 am   Permalink

an even lesser known fact is that darth vader's voice is by dr. ruth and han solo's voice is by morton downey jr.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 11:31 am   Permalink

I'm just stunned that there's a website called "lucasfan". Oy.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2004-12-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

To me this is a perfect example of Imagineering spending money on the wrong resources. With the exception of movie tie-ins, why do any WDI attractions need celebrity actors? I noticed the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kindgom had Claire from the Cosby Show and a guy from Veronica's Closet in the intro video. Why?! How does Star Tours benefit from a celebrity voice? I think it only detracts.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 5:58 pm   Permalink

To be fair, they used Paul Rubens when he was a virtually unknown actor in Hollywood.

When Star Tours opened it was more of an inside joke than anything else. He was uncredited.

There's a lot of famous people in Disney attractions, and it goes all the way back in Disney history, starting with Walt's supervision.

The very first Audio Animatronic figure was based on Buddy Ebsen's tap-dancing.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation