FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Flounder - Someone's ripping you off
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Flounder - Someone's ripping you off
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-28 01:37 am   Permalink

I just picked up my very first issue of Tiki News, #17.
I know, I know..what took me so long? Anyway, I am absolutely astounded by the amount of information stuffed into this little zine.
90ish pages filled to the brim and overflowing with more Tiki than you can take.
Page 30 has a wonderful article about the mug makers. Beginning with the man of which you speak.
But in the Tiki News article when Otto interviewed him in person he has his name as Gabe Florian not Florian Gabriel, so it would seem someone might be confused about his name.

The article says
"One of Gabe's interior illustrations can be seen on page 66 of the Book of Tiki and his designs are sprinkled throughout the Steven Crane chapter page 96. Over the next 12 years Gabe was the art director who helped erect a Tiki empire that rivaled Don the Beachcomber's and Trader Vic's if not in quantity at least in it's plushness, density and design."

The article also has an interesting sketch Gabe did for a mug that never made it to fruition called "The Virgin's Revenge".
The article states that the 73 year old Florian was at that point still an active painter and had works under the pseudonym Kemush. The only date I found in the issue, was in the editorial written by Otto and Sven that was dated March 2001.
What a great read...I can't sing the praises of this magazine enough...a few months back I was looking for info on Trader Luke from San Pedro, BAM! there it was in black and white all my questions answered. Hmmmph, waddya know, my 1000th post, I hope it wasn't to terribly dull.
Thanks Otto & Sven!
More Tiki News please!

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-28 01:53 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-28 07:26 am   Permalink

Gabe Florian or Florian Gabriel...
Anybody have a website about him and his art?

I would sure like to see more of his art work.

He probably has a book´s worth of art and photos of mugs and other Tiki stuff he has done waiting to be published....

View Profile of ToonToonz Send a personal message to ToonToonz  Goto the website of ToonToonz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-28 11:20 am   Permalink

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread Trader Woody.
The info I found on the internet says sadly that Florian "Gabe" Gabriel a.k.a. Kemush, passed away on May 4th, 2003 after suffering from a painful battle with cancer.

back to the previous scheduled thread...

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-28 12:08 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 01:23 am   Permalink

DawnTiki - Good research you did.
Did you happen to run across any of his art or a website to it?

View Profile of ToonToonz Send a personal message to ToonToonz  Goto the website of ToonToonz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 02:04 am   Permalink

Yes, a private email to the webmaster yielded artwork Gabe had contributed before his death. The webmaster was more than happy to share Gabe's work with us. Here are the links to see the images. To bad though, not a tiki to be found
"Warning Homoerotic Images"
http://www.chiron-rising.com/tempkemush1.html
http://www.chiron-rising.com/tempkemush2.html
http://www.chiron-rising.com/tempkemush3.html

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-31 22:43 ]

brian p

Posted: 2005-01-31 03:46 am   Permalink

flounder's art looks great.
folk who rip other people off are obviously arses.
however i can't see a problem with a guy printing postcards of an image he likes to send his friends if he's not making anything from it.
would be polite to ask though.
artists have traditionally been ripped off becuase we (i earn a living from my art) are not usually business people, we are artists. we should learn to be defensive and protective and guard against this sort of thing.
flounder's idea of putting it in writing on the back of his work is sound.
if folk ask permission to reprint work, are refused and then go ahead, take legal action.
these people are vermin.

View Profile of brian p Send a personal message to brian p      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ToonToonz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 05:02 am   Permalink

Auction closed with starting bid of $5:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2001&item=3954479026&rd=1

Good news and Bad news I guess.
The good news is nobody bought the print, the bad news is...hmmmm...nobody bought the print...

badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 4:36 pm   Permalink

Here we go again! "No longer on the retail market ~this sold in souvenir shops and stores in waikiki back in the 1990s."http://cgi.ebay.com/l-TIKI-MUG-steve-crane-art-royal-old-hawaiian-vintage_W0QQitemZ4401816954QQcategoryZ10034QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 7:15 pm   Permalink

its got flounders name on it alright. Flounder, you have been around for a good amount of time and well travelled.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-25 10:31 pm   Permalink

Unbelieveable.

What the hell is going through their heads!?!?

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation