FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 11:16 pm   Permalink

What an incredible post! Thanks for sharing your field trip with TC. I lived in Santa Monica at the beach one street over from Ocean Park for many years & vaguely knew about Pacific Ocean Park (P.O.P.), the old pier & theme park that was long gone by then. It was a great old venue that has long since vanished from the general public memory, kind of like "The Pike" in Long Beach.

I imagine that Jim had some tales to tell. I hope we hear more about Jim's stories... here on TC... or maybe in a book someday...

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 12:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-03 22:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
A 1960 Buick LeSabre. Last year they made it with fins. Great underrated jet design on that car. Known as "Das Boat" among my friends. Had it for 20 years.

A VERY cool car! Looks like this

And a very cool post! THANX!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-04 01:37 am   Permalink

Thanks again to Tangaroa for putting together this nice little field trip. Jim in his wheelchair was the nicest man you could care to know and benignly let us wander about his property, touching his precious things, and peppering him with obscure questions about tiki history. I had that same feeling I have around Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts - that I was very fortunate to be in the same room with an old tiki master and wished I could have spent a whole day there, asking him questions.

Unfortunately, our trip was far too short, but I came away with a rejuvenated passion for the tiki history that's still out there.

Here are a few more photos of Jim's surreal, jungle-like yard. At night, this place would have given me the creeps, because his non-tiki sculptures are so lifelike.

A giant Babe Ruth, pointing at the wall

Various heads among tongue-like tree roots

A great old sign from, (I believe), a Tijuana Taco restaurant

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 03:47 am   Permalink

Thanks a lot for that trip. fantastic pictures and story.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 06:52 am   Permalink

Tangaroa, thanks for the extra pic's. Jim Casey is a True Master who carved Beautiful pieces. I wouldn't have time enough left in my life to begin to learn what he forgot about carving. I am truelyin Awe.
Thanks again.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-12-04 08:39 am   Permalink

Wow! Thanks for the post guys. What a talent Mr. Casey is. Aloha Jhoe's seems facinating to me due to the lack of info/photos (with the exception of BOT). Nice to know who did the carvings. Sabu.....any interiors of AJs in your collection? As a child our family spent more time at Pacific Ocean Park than Knotts or Disneyland. Very Cool.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 11:20 am   Permalink

Amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing guys -- this Urban Archaeology stuff is what I enjoy the most. I only wish was there with you guys!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 6:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-03 18:55, Tangaroa wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-12-03 18:25, tikibars wrote:
can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook (in the pictures posted above, it is all the way on the right, seen in profile, on the bottom of the two pics of his scrapbook, the pics with the yellow backgrounds)?

Can you post a pic of it? I have hi-rez scans of the portfolio, I could compare them...

Seen in the Aku Hall, it's current home, the tiki can be viewed on Critiki, here (the big one in the center of the first picture):

http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=494

In it's original home, the Luau, it can be viewed in Tiki Road Trip, on page 78.

Mahalos!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 9:07 pm   Permalink

tikibars wrote: here (the big one in the center of the first picture)

James, is he the one looking so dignified with the dainty lampshade on his head?

Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing the pictures and story with us!
Sorry about hitting that darned edit button Tiki_Bong, I just can't go cold turkey...baby steps!

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-12-04 21:29 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-04 10:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-04 21:07, DawnTiki wrote:
tikibars wrote: here (the big one in the center of the first picture)
James, is he the one looking so dignified with the dainty lampshade on his head?

Yeah, I guess he had too much to drink.

Things get a little nutty at Aku Hall from time to time...

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2004-12-06 17:29 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-05 07:04 am   Permalink

Quote:
Seen in the Aku Hall, it's current home, the tiki can be viewed on Critiki, here (the big one in the center of the first picture):

http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=494

To me - that sure looks like the same carving! I can send you a higher rez scan of the tiki in question on Monday - but at first glance, that looks the same to me! There is a note on that page of the portfolio that says "Steve Crane's Luaus - Sheraton Hotels - 1959-60"

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-05 8:23 pm   Permalink

Tanga, sabu, big bro,
did he do any sculpting for disney? Some of those heads remind me of the graveyard sequence in the haunted mansion ride.

Maybe I'm crazy...no...I know I'm crazy, but maybe I'm wrong. Just a thought, and sorry about the non-tiki question.

Thanks for posting more pics sabu! This guy Jim (who has an awesome first name...) Casey sounds like an amazing person!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-06 10:15 am   Permalink

Yes - he did sculpt for Disney, but it was Jungle Cruise rehab stuf in the 60s , and a lot for Epcot, as well as some for The Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour at Tokyo Disneyland. Sorry - no Haunted Mansion!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-06 5:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-05 07:04, Tangaroa wrote:
Quote:

There is a note on that page of the portfolio that says "Steve Crane's Luaus - Sheraton Hotels - 1959-60"

This MUST be it then!

Very cool.

Thanks for your excellent work.

nicktiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2004-12-10 2:06 pm   Permalink

Tangaroa,

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed your post. It sounds like it was a very special day for all of you. Very cool!

View Profile of nicktiki Send a personal message to nicktiki  Email nicktiki Goto the website of nicktiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation