FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 09:12 am   Permalink

I'm sad to report that Jim Casey passed away yesterday.
However, he did go in the company of his family and friends, and felt no pain along the way...

I will miss this extremely talented sculptor, musician and all around great guy.

Best to you Jim, and thanks again for sharing all you have...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-06 6:36 pm   Permalink

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about Jim Casey, The photo's of his work are incredable, and now he's gone. But he's left all of us with some great carvings and images! A blessing that folks will be able to enjoy them for years to come.

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 3:35 pm   Permalink

Awesome archeology work, guys. This dude has a true low-brow comic style of carving. I love the carvings that have just a little paint, but aren't doused in a million colors. And the tones on this guy's color are still very... er... technicolor looking (for lack of a better description).

Keep up the great work.

Brian

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 4:39 pm   Permalink

Thank you BC-Da-da!

I love what you are doing with the Dumb Angel blog - I'm actually goiing to track down a long time friend of my parents, who had a house since the 40s on Balboa to see if she has any photos that might help you with the blog/magazine... WHo knows - maybe she has vintage interiors of the Prison of Socrates!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 9:36 pm   Permalink

Wow. What an awesome thread. Thanks for bumpin it up... The signifcance of the people on this website continually amazes me.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 3:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks a million, Tangaroa!

Have you seen our newest blog? I was going to subtitle it, like "Dr. Strangelove"...

"Newport By the Pier... or... How to Become Popeye"

[ This Message was edited by: BC-Da-Da 2006-03-16 15:42 ]

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 7:32 pm   Permalink

WOW!
Amazing stuff! What a privilege it must've been to go and visit Jim and his wonderland of carvings.
Since his passing, where did his stuff go? It's a shame to lose track of such gorgeous art. I hope his family kept it and will preserve it.

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 07:23 am   Permalink

I just found this post buried in the TC archives and had to resurect it....amazing urban archeology!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 07:31 am   Permalink

Jim Caasey's talents must be honored by the Tiki community some how......
Maybe a nice Tiki mug inspired by some of his wonderful fiberglass sculptures!?!

Can Tangaroa please repost his pics from that day too?
I'd love to see them!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 08:19 am   Permalink

Tikinomad, so Casey is the guy who did that face? I liked it so much when I first saw it on TC that I carved my own six inch version of it! It sits in my office:

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 08:37 am   Permalink

Jim Casey's work for P.O.P. has been a personal favorite of mine since the 60's. I'm happy to read that this is true for many other T.C.'rs as well.

I have painted(and will continue to paint)images of Jim's work from P.O.P. when reference photos surface - I have painted several in this series so far. If anyone can refresh this thread with additional photographic material I for one will be Thankful for that.

Bigbro, Sabu or Tangaroa - do you guys have photos of your meeting with James? Please post if you do. Thanks in advance!

I wish I could have met James Casey personally, but I did not meet Tangaroa until a year or two after Casey's death....Tangaroa being my "in"......Ahhrrrggghhh!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 10:05 am   Permalink

Bongo Bungalow I love the replica of the mask that is in the Polynesian Village at WDW that you carved! I don't think Casey did the mold for that one though, that image is just a fun "signature" that I sometimes add to the bottom of my posts here on TC. (I know it's kinda big, sorry....)
I took it while on vacation down there a few years ago with my wife and son. In fact I tried to document every Tiki that I saw while on my visit on their property! I found several Oceanic Arts carvings among them, it was a lot of fun!

Please guys post some more pics of your visit with Mr. Casey when you can....ma halo!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinomad 2009-09-10 10:05 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 12:25 pm   Permalink

Here are some of Jim's own sculptures, artsy shelf-sized little things.

Kreepy Tiki was friends with him and owns one, posted it here somewhere, I believe...:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 06:55 am   Permalink

Bump!!

Aloha.

Is it possible that somebody can re-post the pics of the meeting with Casey?

Thanks in advance. G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-05 2:58 pm   Permalink

Second this.
Where's Tangaroa? I'd love to see the original pics, and I'm sure many others would as well.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation