FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-15 4:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks for reposting the pics!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-16 3:32 pm   Permalink

TikiG: Thanks for clarifying what that building was. Didn't know about a P.O.P. book coming out. Looking forward to that!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-28 11:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-14 18:19, TikiG wrote:
A-ha!

That A-frame, thatched roof building housed the "Gift Shop Mystic Isles" or "Pacific Island Gifts" - either way a gift shop. One half of the building (backside) housed the "Hula Horseshoe Game."

The "...Whip" is actually P.O.P.'s version of a standard Scrambler flat-ride, in P.O.P.'s instance called the "Jungle Whip" - obscured in the postcard view.

Hope this helps to clarify!

Is this the building that everyone is referring to?...

An attraction map of POP shows this building near a ride called "Mrs. Squid" (hidden?). Did that become "The Whip"? Obviously that's the iconic "Mr. Dolphin" ride in the background.

Taken from Jeffrey Stanton's book "Venice California, Coney Island of the Pacific".

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-29 09:02 am   Permalink

Obviously not Tiki but it is interesting to compare that late 1950's photo above with how that area of POP looked in the 1970's when the park was shuttered and crumbling...

There may be POP Tikis at the bottom of Santa Monica bay.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-13 11:37 pm   Permalink

Wow - blast from the past! I'd have to dig them all up again & re-upload them here, since my website was "swiped" from me a few years ago... Maybe when I have some more time to kill. By the way - myself and Domenic Priore are doing a book on Pacific Ocean Park, planned for release sometime next year. It will feature work by Mr. Casey and a goodly amount of tikis!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-14 03:35 am   Permalink

Pacific Ocean Park! I remember going there when I was a really little kid. I have vivid memories of the diving bell ride taking us below the water... Very cool! When your book comes out I'll definitely get a copy, will have to share it with my 82-year-old mom. Don't remember a whole lot more than that, it was one of the places my parents liked to take us on family outings.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-14 03:40 am   Permalink

I missed this thread, and am thankful to those that dug it up.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-14 06:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-14 03:35, AceExplorer wrote:
Pacific Ocean Park! I remember going there when I was a really little kid. I have vivid memories of the diving bell ride taking us below the water...

The best part about the diving bell was when you surfaced. It came up so fast the you experienced a moment of weightlessness.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation